Another robbery at gun point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Mirador

A friend of mine out walking in the Mirador park with his wife and kid, were robbed by 2 guys at knife point. After the incident he went to the local cops in the park for help. They told him that lately the crime rate is going upward and that only on that Sunday, 2 other couples had been robbed in the park. One of them injured, cut in the leg with a knife.
It is worth while noting that the cops in the park are "closed" between 12 noon and 2. Out for lunch!!

Co?o! Diablo!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
From what I have been reading here in the last 3 or 4 days, I would conclude that safety in DR today is worse than what it used be in Puerto Rico. Am I right? It seems crime is everywhere now in DR, not only in the big cities, and it is getting worse. What a pity, what a shame!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I would say crime is worse

A friend of mine uses his motor cycle for transportation. Before Lionel became president he would come to my area at night..no problem. Now he says that he will not ride his bike at night. Especially on the weekdays from Villa Maya to Zona Colonial. He said there are no people in the street and it is very dangerous. He will only come on the weekends when there are more people in the street and still he will not stay late into the night. And he is Dominican.

I do not walk alone at night now. I used to and did not feel afraid. But not it is different. It just doesn't feel right. I have used my senses alot in my life and my senses tell me not to go out walking at night alone. Paranoid ..maybe. Cautious...always

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Yes. But ....

I'm getting good "vibes" from some good people. I am not prepared to sit back and watch the place I have chosen to call home turn into "another Puerto Rico". Like Rocky said - watch this space! Any useful ideas will be greatfully received by him over the next 24 hours but believe me when I say that there are quite a few of us who simply will not stand for this sort of thing any more.

Like I said on the radio the other day. Let's start right now by looking after our neighbours - just check to make sure they're ok. Let them know that you are there for them. There, that was easy eh? Bet you feel better already.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from Rocky.

Simon :bandit: (the ninja)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
juancarlos said:
From what I have been reading here in the last 3 or 4 days, I would conclude that safety in DR today is worse than what it used be in Puerto Rico. Am I right? It seems crime is everywhere now in DR, not only in the big cities, and it is getting worse. What a pity, what a shame!
I dion't think that crime is any worse than in PR and matter of fact it is less by every standard.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why is every single thing that happens gets posted?

If so, wouldn't it be interesting if those DR1 members who live in the US, Europe, and elsewhere outside the DR would post every single little thing that happens close to them.

I mean, these people are most likely visitors to the DR and as such, are a small but important part of the tourist economy and as such, if anything threatens their safety in their own Home country (US or any nation in Europe, etc) then they should post it as well.

I can just see it now,

7 killings in NYC every day, 5 muggings in London every hour, 10 children kidnapped in the US every day (ie. Amber Alerts), another Lacey Peterson type of murder here, another Michael Jackson type of molesting over there, terrorist threats here, terrorist attacks over there, etc etc etc

Aah, what a world we live in!

BTW, I posted this to bring those people who are becoming esterical about the DR violence to look in their own backyards as well. Even then, DR still looks better!

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
From my understanding, murder rate in PR is twice as high as in mainland USA.

Take your chances...

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
juancarlos said:
You do notice that the crime reports by amateur DR1ers don't appear on an hourly basis, right?

It's a month or so before you read something about someone being a victim of crime...

BTW, I've been checking the PR forums and I just can't help it, but a PR resident once posted:

"Isla del Encanto, mas mejor Isla del Espanto!". This are his/her words, not mine.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Simon & Nicky said:
This one was in Sosua. A couple again, this time the lady was followed home ...
... There have been another two broad daylight breakins in my normally quiet neighbourhood. Most Dominicans are sh*t scared to come up into the hills here for fear of getting shot - I'd best dust down the old AK47 again. - It's huntin' season in them thar hills! :eek:

I fully understand your concern for the crime in your neighbourhood and I feel sorry for the victims. However I don't see the point of everyone trying to post each crime in the DR on this board. It's like everyone's raising their arm now to say 'Hey, I know of a robbery too, and let me tell you all about it!' You are needlessly scaring away vacationers, happy to spend their couple of weeks off in the DR, by blowing these things out of proportion.

I agree that crime is up compared to years ago and everyone living there will agree. We have to 'thank' Hipo for that, wrecking the DR economy and impoverishing his own people even more, giving a free hand to corruption and drug trafficking etc etc. But don't make it sound like the crime situation is worse than in Colombia or Brasil.
Just to put things into perspective, this is what newspapers reported in tiny and 'peaceful' Belgium yesterday:
-Another violant hold-up on a 'money and valuables' transport van,
- Village of Jabbeke for the 3rd weekend in a row shocked by very violant break-ins and robberies.
- Street race in daylight ends with a Mercedes crashing into a tree in the city center of Ghent (sounds like the Lincoln Av. SD)
My point is, even though it is sad to see crime rising in the DR, all you ex-pats are still a lot safer where you live in the DR than in most of the countries you come from.

Bartolomeo - held at knifepoint in '99 in Havana and assaulted in Brasil in '04.

Last edited:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Why is every single thing that happens gets posted?

If so, wouldn't it be interesting if those DR1 members who live in the US, Europe, and elsewhere outside the DR would post every single little thing that happens close to them...

Nal0whs,
We must be reading eachothers' minds, posting the same thing in 10min time! LOL ;) Glad to see some people react the same way!
Bartolomeo

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I disagree. In NY we have the Post and the Daily News, and all the tv stations reporting every crime they can. For me, DR1 is where I get my info about Sosua. I understand that it's like the reporting on Iraq, where so many good things go unreported, and that's a shame. But the fact is that in the DR, if you don't protect yourself you are very vulnerable. There are no cops in patrol cars, and your windows are wide open. So you might as well learn about it here.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Danny W said:
I disagree. In NY we have the Post and the Daily News, and all the tv stations reporting every crime they can. For me, DR1 is where I get my info about Sosua. I understand that it's like the reporting on Iraq, where so many good things go unreported, and that's a shame. But the fact is that in the DR, if you don't protect yourself you are very vulnerable. There are no cops in patrol cars, and your windows are wide open. So you might as well learn about it here.

I agree with Danny...this Forum is called LIVING....that is living here in the dominican republic. Part of living here is Security. Security needs to be discussed. You need to be aware of when these kinds of things happen, where they happen, and how they happen...so to better evaluate your own security situation.

How they happen...for example they sometimes will come up on a moped and stop you to ask directions or something else. Then when you are not expecting it...they will snatch your gold chain and go. That is valuable to anyone living here or vacationing here. And that happens on a regular basis here in Villa Olga...and I am not exaggerating that.

Maybe TWO vacationers will be scared away.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Snuffy said:
I agree with Danny...this Forum is called LIVING....that is living here in the dominican republic. Part of living here is Security. Security needs to be discussed. You need to be aware of when these kinds of things happen, where they happen, and how they happen...so to better evaluate your own security situation.

How they happen...for example they sometimes will come up on a moped and stop you to ask directions or something else. Then when you are not expecting it...they will snatch your gold chain and go. That is valuable to anyone living here or vacationing here. And that happens on a regular basis here in Villa Olga...and I am not exaggerating that.

Maybe TWO vacationers will be scared away.

Yes, I do agree! Let's put aside our concerns for the "property value" and continue posting what is happening in the country. We need to also post positive stories of honest watchmen, maids and non-corrupt officials. Stories of people willing to help a foreigner without asking for anything.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Violent crime figures for January are out:

93 homicides and 7 suicides in January according to Institute of Forensic Pathology. These figures are higher than each of preceeding 4 months .

The following was published in Listin Diario:

Hallan flotando y atado el cad?ver de un hombre en aguas de r?o Soco
FRANCIS AN?BAL

SAN PEDRO DE MACOR?S.- El cad?ver de un hombre, de apariencia extranjera, atado de pies y manos y una mochila con 40 kilos de peso, fue descubierto flotando sobre las aguas del r?o Soco en la comunidad del mismo nombre, en esta provincia.
El cad?ver estaba en estado de putrefacci?n avanzado, y el m?dico legista, Pablo Popa, diagnostic? que ten?a unos dos d?as de muerto. Fue encontrado atado con cinta adhesiva en las manos y en las piernas, en la zona de las rodillas, y fundas pl?sticas en los pies, adem?s de un cord?n en el cuello.
Tambi?n ten?a una mochila y dos pesas de 20 kilos cada una, seg?n se pudo establecer.
El desconocido ten?a 45 a 50 a?os y vest?a un pantal?n jean negro y un su?ter blanco, con el pelo canoso. Anoche, el cad?ver fue depositado en la morgue del hospital Antonio Musa, desde donde ser?a trasladado al Instituto de Patolog?a Forense, donde se le har?a una necropsia.
La Polic?a inici? las correspondientes investigaciones a fin de establecer responsabilidades con relaci?n a la muerte del supuesto extranjero no identificado. Las autoridades suponen que el hombre fue lanzado muerto al r?o.

This foreigner nor his killers have been identified yet. Well they think it's a foreginer, it could be a Dominican, they just say that he appears to be a foreigner.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
solituna said:
A friend of mine out walking in the Mirador park with his wife and kid, were robbed by 2 guys at knife point. After the incident he went to the local cops in the park for help. They told him that lately the crime rate is going upward and that only on that Sunday, 2 other couples had been robbed in the park. One of them injured, cut in the leg with a knife.
It is worth while noting that the cops in the park are "closed" between 12 noon and 2. Out for lunch!!

Co?o! Diablo!

Mirador park has always been very dangerous. My wife/her father were robbed there back in 1987, and my parents always told me never to go into the park period.

Also someone suggested overstating your loss to the police in Sosua concerning losses, just remember many of the thieves themselves in the DR ARE the Police. Get them thinking you have stuff worth 200k in your home and you may find yourself a victim of a much worse crime. Bad idea in my opinion.

The idea is to not attract attention if you don't want to get robbed, but that's hard to do walking around lily white in a country of dark skinned people. Everyone knows where you live already, the question is how do you deter being robbed?

Here are some tried and true Dominican techniques:

1. 15 foot walls around the house.
2. Broken bottle in cement trick on top of the walls.
3. Cameras.
4. Dogs.
5. Huge bars on all your windows.
6. Lots and lots of guns.

However, the best method in my experience is to live in a high rise building on the 4th floor or higher and bar up your patio/windows. Living in a house as a perceived/real "rich" person isn't advisable in the current environment....especially in an area like Sosua where you stand out.

This also may sound ridiculous, but in Sto Dgo it worked pretty well. Realize you're being scoped out by the locals quite a bit. Make a showing of going out wearing a gun......this will deter some people.

Also, something people don't do much but many Dominicans do.......if you think you are being scoped out make some dirt patches under your windows at night, wet them thoroughly. Obviously make sure all your bars on your windows/doors are thoroughly tightened so you're safe inside. In the morning, check that mud for footprints........

Also, I think a lot of peopl ehave this situation in Santo Domingo especially. People build 15 foot walls but have 50 foot high houses, and only 5 foot gaps between their walls/roofs of exposed portions of their first floors. This obviously allows for easy access to second floor windows. Barring ONLY your first floor windows IS NOT enough. Ladders etc, using your own walls as a ladder are all too easy for a thief to do. BAR UP EVERY SINGLE WINDOW IN YOUR HOUSE! LOCK THEM EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! DO NOT THINK A GLASS PANE OR WOOD COMBINED WITH A SIMPLE LOCK IS ENOUGH TO KEEP THIEVES OUT! You need to build a literal fortress to stay safe down there........believe it.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Here's my tip of the day: There's no better, and cheaper, burglar alarm system than placing glass bottles connected with nylon fishing line precariously on window sills (when they fall the make the loudest racket when everyone asleep). You can also place similar contraptions at night in yards, corridors, on obvious paths for intruders. Imagine yourself an intruder first...

Mirador

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Oops, I forgot! here's security must for every home: An infrared nightscope, the kind you wear like a cap, and a sawed-off shotgun (they're legal in the DR, of course you need to apply for the permit with Interior y Policia).

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
"I agree that crime is up compared to years ago and everyone living there will agree. We have to 'thank' Hipo for that, wrecking the DR economy and impoverishing his own people even more, giving a free hand to corruption and drug trafficking etc etc. But don't make it sound like the crime situation is worse than in Colombia or Brasil."

It seems to me Bartolomeo that a statement like that, is more alarming. A wreck economy, poorest people, untamed corruption and free hand to drugtraficking. Hmmm.... sounds like columbia 1992.

Status
Not open for further replies.