any advice for mom travelling to DR with a child.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
hello all
im travelling to bavaro next week alone with my 12 month old daughter.
first time with a baby and im bit worried,so any advice from mothers will be welcome.
we'll stay at the occidental flamenco bavaro and im wondering if baby food is easy to get around?anybody know the baby facility there?
will it be easy to walk around with a pushchair?
also im gonna visiting my in law,so im wondering is the parada in higuey for hato mayor is easy to find?
any advice are welcome!!

DRUT

Oct 17, 2010
From one mother to another.

I've traveled with my kids to the DR twice. You can find baby food at the grocery store, but it's much easier to just bring it with you. On this last trip my daughter was 9 months old, and I didn't let her eat anything I didn't bring with me. It would be a lot scarier for a young child to get sick in a foreign country, than for an adult. Anyways, I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, just let me know.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have traveled to the DR with my 2 toddlers twice. Never had a problem. I let them eat everything, baby food and local cuisine (restaurant, fruits and veggies), no problem.

I brought my stroller both times for the youngest (and a carrier just in case)

My daughter, the youngest, just turned 2, we went when she was 11 months ,then16 months, no worries.

DRUT

Oct 17, 2010
I guess it just really depends on you, your children, and your pediatrician. My doctor did not want us to take any chances with a 9 month old and a three year old. So by doctors orders we brought their food with us. That doesn't mean every doctor would feel the same on this subject, so you just have to do what you feel is right. Every child is different, and you know your children.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I always brought my own car seat. Stroller is convenient in the airport etc. but not practical in many places. Would also suggest, based on size of the little one, a back pack carrier (can't remember what they're called) that you can strap her on your back (or front).
Road from Higuey to Nisibon is horrible, hope to Hato Mayor is better.
Agree with the other mothers on the food, but I always found you can buy crackers etc. in a pinch that shouldn't be upsetting to the stomach and can stop a melt-down. Bottled water is usually available, may want to bring those individual servings of lemonade, gaterade drink mixes that are common now for convenience (and again in a pinch.) I also think eating with the family is safe--as rice cooked fresh if she likes it is fine. (no leftovers) I trust restaurant food less than a trusted family member.

Once she gets to the in-laws, she'll be so spoiled, and carried, and loved that you'll not miss much if you've got the necessities.
Enjoy!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I guess it just really depends on you, your children, and your pediatrician. My doctor did not want us to take any chances with a 9 month old and a three year old. So by doctors orders we brought their food with us. That doesn't mean every doctor would feel the same on this subject, so you just have to do what you feel is right. Every child is different, and you know your children.
Agree! IMHO, if the DR is a part of their life, and they will be traveling throughout their childhood the sooner they get introduced to local food the better. If you're only doing resorts, etc., and this is a once or twice in a lifetime thing, error on the safe side. Then there is the family aspect, Dominicans want to feed, feed, feed, you so it's better if the children can enjoy what Grandma's cooking.
My son loves that he can eat most things sold by the guagua sellers and street food (gasp!) at times. One of the things he misses is buying stuff from the vendors and the colmadoes.
Of course, Dr.'s orders at all times!

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

To any country you go to, be very careful with the water, or fresh juices. I am more worried about you being at a bus stop with all your belongings and the little ones. Do you speak Spanish? why don't you have your in-laws go pick you up at the hotel?

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
To any country you go to, be very careful with the water, or fresh juices. I am more worried about you being at a bus stop with all your belongings and the little ones. Do you speak Spanish? why don't you have your in-laws go pick you up at the hotel?

hi norma thanks for your advice
dont worry for me,i speak spanish fluently and thanks god i dont look to gringa even so im sure they'll find out quick.
and i have done the guagua alone many many time including till sto domingo.
1st time with the baby but i'll be fine,im gonna avoid to travel at night time still.
my mother in law pick me up at the airport but i chosed to stay at the hotel,because i deserve proper vacation!im sorry but one week at the barrio,no thanks!
i will go to hato mayor only for a daytrip and with fews belonging!only the essential for a toddler.
thanks all also for your very good advice.
i personally dont drink tap water in england so i won't do it in dr,same for my daughter.she eat mainly vegetable ,bread,chicken and cheese.
so hopefully it wont be that hard to get at the hotel.
i agree also that a child need to get used of the way of life.
my daughter is half dominican so hopefully she will come there often and its good if she can learn to enjoy.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Agree! IMHO, if the DR is a part of their life, and they will be traveling throughout their childhood the sooner they get introduced to local food the better.

Agree 100%, since I travel a lot with them. I want them to be used to different foods.

Of course, bottle water goes without saying.

I would add insect repellents (i prefer organic) and sunscreen lotion for children (again organic). I admit I never really used the insect repellent cream since they were not really bitten, but you never know. We went to Costa Rica and Panama over the summer, the children and I were fine, but my friend had so many bites she looked like she had chicken-pox and had to take antibiotics (even though she used 100 kinds of repellent) !!

Fist aid kit.

I also always take them for check up to their pediatrician a week or so before traveling and inform him of my plans to travel.

Voila! hope it helps !

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
Agree 100%, since I travel a lot with them. I want them to be used to different foods.

Of course, bottle water goes without saying.

I would add insect repellents (i prefer organic) and sunscreen lotion for children (again organic). I admit I never really used the insect repellent cream since they were not really bitten, but you never know. We went to Costa Rica and Panama over the summer, the children and I were fine, but my friend had so many bites she looked like she had chicken-pox and had to take antibiotics (even though she used 100 kinds of repellent) !!

Fist aid kit.

I also always take them for check up to their pediatrician a week or so before traveling and inform him of my plan to travel.

Voila! hope it helps !
thanks to remind me for the insect repellent.sunscreen is bought already.
doctor here in england are rubbish so i dont even bother to go for advice about travelling!
her immunisations are up to date,the only thing who worry me is a eventual Diarrhoea!

`

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
thanks to remind me for the insect repellent.sunscreen is bought already.
doctor here in england are rubbish so i dont even bother to go for advice about travelling!
her immunisations are up to date,the only thing who worry me is a eventual Diarrhoea!

Find a better pediatrician, LOL ! Mine was arguing with me that CR was much better than the DR :cheeky:

I would still take her for a check-up , you never know. When I brought mine, they both had an ear infection, even though they were not sick (besides a runny nose).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Dalila, not just 'bottled water', especially if your child is still on formula. Mix it only with Agua Orbis, it comes in blue gallons, found in supermarkets in the baby food aisle.

AE

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
hi norma thanks for your advice
dont worry for me,i speak spanish fluently and thanks god i dont look to gringa even so im sure they'll find out quick.
and i have done the guagua alone many many time including till sto domingo.
1st time with the baby but i'll be fine,im gonna avoid to travel at night time still.
my mother in law pick me up at the airport but i chosed to stay at the hotel,because i deserve proper vacation!im sorry but one week at the barrio,no thanks!
i will go to hato mayor only for a daytrip and with fews belonging!only the essential for a toddler.
thanks all also for your very good advice.
i personally dont drink tap water in england so i won't do it in dr,same for my daughter.she eat mainly vegetable ,bread,chicken and cheese.
so hopefully it wont be that hard to get at the hotel.
i agree also that a child need to get used of the way of life.
my daughter is half dominican so hopefully she will come there often and its good if she can learn to enjoy.

Punta Cana - Hato Mayor - Punta Cana, a daytrip and you avoid to travel at night !!!!!!!!!!. You are not going to spend mucho tiempo con los suegros. Buen viaje

Jan 5, 2006
Dalila, the advice from AlterEgo is super important. Don't let your baby drink just any bottled water. The only water that you can trust as being safe for drinking, or mixing formula for your baby, is "Orbis".

Once a child is over a year old, their inmune system is a little more developed, and they are better suited to handle regular bottled water and a wider array of foods, while in DR.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
thanks all,she is 12 month almost 13 so hopefully she will handle well the food over there.
for the daytrip to hatomayor,yes im going quite early there around 7am so i can be back to the hotel around 7pm,and my mother and sister in law are coming for the week end in bavaro so plenty time together!