Don't want drag this thread off-topic but here are a few reasons I prefer STI over SD.
1. Slower pace of life
2. Lower cost of living
3. Fiber Optic internet widely available
4. Less crime
5. Center of town is very walkable
6. Good food along with several well-known franchises (if that's ya cup of tea)
7. Most of the same big name shopping options La Sirena, El Canto, Nacional, Bravo, Casa Cuesta, Ikea, Nike, Price Mart, ect..
8. National sports teams like the Aguilas baseball and the Metros basketball (games are always a good time)
9. Carnival is celebrated every Sunday in the month of February (a little taste of back home/ NOLA)
10. Block parties
11. People here tend to be less brash and less aggressive
12. From October to March the weather is usually between 60 to 85 degrees F which works just fine for me
12. All around better quality of life in my opinion
I wouldn't say lack of city life as the city is definitely moving in this direction.