Any DR1 Camera Droners?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Compliments to Jahjah.

You addressed several issues and IMHO, have done so rather well. You expressed your concern and respect for others' privacy and how that at times being calm, cool and respectful can go along way when others are annoyed.

In our case, the drone was level with our second floor porch and about 30' out, well inside of our walls, and moving from one end to the other of the house possibly seeing inside thru open glass sliders. So not only was this very intrusive but we saw it as a security risk. If the police had not been here, I would have used my shotgun. (Police told me that that would have been fun but … not to do it. Dang! with them around. lol)

Anyway. Thanks for you taking the time to teach.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have a Mavic Pro, had no experience in flying RC planes or drones before, and absolutely love it. There will be a deal on Amazon Prime Day (today and tomorrow). Get the set with extra batteries, bag, chargers, etc.

Jan 7, 2016
Just for Sh*ts and giggles, here are the rules for Drone Aircraft in the Dominican Republic:

Drone laws in the Dominican Republic
Francis Markert | Drone Blog | 2 Comments
Published: 28. January 2018, last updated: 19. March 2018
Flying a drone in the Dominican RepublicIn this post, learn everything you need to know to fly in the Dominican Republic with your drone!

Drone flights in the Dominican Republic require approval from the Instituto Dominicano de Aviacion Civil (IDAC) as soon as the copter reaches a weight of at least 2 kilograms. The application will be issued within 25 working days and can be transmitted electronically.

Maximum Altitude: The maximum permitted ascent altitude is 120 feet (400 feet) in the Dominican Republic.

Maximum horizontal distance and FPV: Drones must always be operated within sight. Specifically, this means that the multicopter cannot go more than 455 meters (1,500 feet) away from you.

Compulsory insurance: For the use of drones in the Dominican Republic, you need special liability insurance.

Maximum take-off weight (MTOW): From a take-off weight of 2 kilograms you need a permit from the IDAC and you have to pay attention to additional requirements.

Distance to airports: Flight lanes and airports must be at a distance of 8 kilometers (5 miles).

Other safety distances: A vertical distance of 20 meters (66 feet) and a horizontal distance of 30 meters (99 feet) shall be provided to obstacles and people.

Operating Times: Drones may only be flown between sunrise and sunset.

Special features: Drones weighing less than 2 kilograms must not fly faster than 30 knots (55 km / h).

Requirements for commercial pilots: In my understanding, drone operations in the Dominican Republic are classified primarily by weight and not by type of use.

Good to know: According to forum reports, police and army members may question you about your drone flights. However, this is probably due to the curiosity of the locals, so you do not have to be afraid. Nevertheless, you should, of course, be careful and follow the rules.

Helpful Links: Link to online registration

We have researched the listed drone regulations for the Dominican Republic to the best of our knowledge. We cannot guarantee the correctness of the information. If you want to be on the safe side, contact the competent aviation authority. Alternatively, you can also ask the embassy in your country for further information about the regulations. Please leave us a comment when you receive news and/or gain experience with your copter in the Dominican Republic!

NOTE THE COMPULSORY INSURANCE REQUIREMENT. (Like you're gonna get sued by anyone here!)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I can't find much on this phone.

FYI, there were DJI Go 4 (the app that controls the bird from your phone) updates and firmware updates for the Mavic Pro in June and July, that caused widespread live feed malfunctions on most Androids and even Crystal Sky displays. It happened on my Galaxy S7 but I had to replace telephones anyway, and the S9+ has no problems. A lot of people ended up downgrading the software to a previous version (.16) to get rid of this problem. I phones and Apple tablets seem to be free of this issue, so all you Apple snobs got something else to snicker at. :):):):):)

May 5, 2007
You addressed several issues and IMHO, have done so rather well. You expressed your concern and respect for others' privacy and how that at times being calm, cool and respectful can go along way when others are annoyed.

In our case, the drone was level with our second floor porch and about 30' out, well inside of our walls, and moving from one end to the other of the house possibly seeing inside thru open glass sliders. So not only was this very intrusive but we saw it as a security risk. If the police had not been here, I would have used my shotgun. (Police told me that that would have been fun but … not to do it. Dang! with them around. lol)

Anyway. Thanks for you taking the time to teach.
Get a good sling shot, one of those that strap to your wrist and use ball bearings or marbles

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How about some serious drone pilotage skilzzz?

[video=youtube;nQDcDZ6rmGE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=258&v=nQDcDZ6rmGE[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
MY favorite comment of the video...

"You landed on a moving train? You went under a moving train? You entered a box car on a moving train?
You give me brain cancer.

I think I'll just leave my drone in its box."

Jan 7, 2016
Again...the Rules....just follow the rules and get the necessary licenses and permits/certifications to use your drone. For the average senior citizen to order a drone from Amazon and pop it out of box and immediately start to zoom around the neighborhood...you're gonna get your drone confiscated and you probably WON'T get it back. The rules here are almost the same as in the U.S. In the U.S., you have to FAA permission to operate a drone, for $5.00 for each drone you own. You have to know the RULES!...and that doesn't consist of landing on a moving train!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Again...the Rules....just follow the rules and get the necessary licenses and permits/certifications to use your drone. For the average senior citizen to order a drone from Amazon and pop it out of box and immediately start to zoom around the neighborhood...you're gonna get your drone confiscated and you probably WON'T get it back. The rules here are almost the same as in the U.S. In the U.S., you have to FAA permission to operate a drone, for $5.00 for each drone you own. You have to know the RULES!...and that doesn't consist of landing on a moving train!
Of course.

But I have tangible reasons for wanting a solid camera drone...

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I have a Phantom 2 with original GoPro and ground station app and Bluetooth. Also a Phantom 3 Standard. Have not flown yet in the DR. I am concerned transporting batteries on the plane.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have a Phantom 2 with original GoPro and ground station app and Bluetooth. Also a Phantom 3 Standard. Have not flown yet in the DR. I am concerned transporting batteries on the plane.

Transporting batteries is fine, just have them in carry-on. At least with the Mavic I never had a problem yet.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The Mavic Air is intriguing, mainly because of the form factor. Beyond that, the primary real-world difference seems to be flight time.

The one advantage of the Spark is $$$, which is certainly a consideration.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Jahjah did you see anyone in the mountains of PP that gave you the finger? I find drones extremely annoying flying around people’s houses. There was one hanging around a neighborhood in PP and I wanted to destroy it.
Some people wish to do things, but in some parts of the DR people just do it!

[video=youtube;6LlEcLOSCCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LlEcLOSCCc[/video]

tenor.gif

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Some people wish to do things, but in some parts of the DR people just do it!

[video=youtube;6LlEcLOSCCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LlEcLOSCCc[/video]

tenor.gif
Idiots. Don't those muffinheads know those bullets come down somewhere?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Looks like the Mavic is getting some competition from the new Autel EVO. One thing I like about the EVO is the camera.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The Mavic Air is intriguing, mainly because of the form factor. Beyond that, the primary real-world difference seems to be flight time.

The one advantage of the Spark is $$$, which is certainly a consideration.

You might want to read the comparison reviews.

Everyone I know that has a Spark wants a Mavic.
Have yet to find a Mavic owner that wants a Spark :)