Any further info on the killings last week in Boca Chica?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i think you will be fine. especialy if you are staying at a hotel. in my many years i have never had a problem stumbling up the hill to either candil or costalunga (and there is a dark stretch).

I trust my motochoncho guy....and i am friends with the security guard...perhaps i spend a little bit more to stay at these places...but no matter how indie and adventurous i am i DO realize that i am a gringo and therefore a target. I dont wear jewelry, watch or take my cell phone or ipod with me. The most cash i take with me is either 500 or 1000 pesos (the MAX being 1000)..and i dont carry my wallet with me....i have never been bothered

what bums me out tho is that i have given serious thought about moving and working in the R.D. It seems that most of the attacks over the past year have been against against ex-pats and not tourists. is this happening in the capital...or just toursity areas?

Next trip tho...definitely taking a moto home late at night...no question. I am not a chicken..but i aint a fool either. I do go to a "patio" club in adreas on the other side of the highway with a friend of mine...i hope to keep on doing that in the future.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It seems that most of the attacks over the past year have been against against ex-pats and not tourists. is this happening in the capital...or just toursity areas?

Most of the attacks over the past year have, I believe, been against Dominicans.

But yes, very few against tourists. And difficult sometimes to know when local press often refers to foreign residents as tourists................

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Most of the attacks over the past year have, I believe, been against Dominicans.

But yes, very few against tourists. And difficult sometimes to know when local press often refers to foreign residents as tourists................

well..of course i was referring to the press latey over ex-pats etc. Certainly not every murder or crime in NYC or Newark etc makes headlines....same thing in the DR.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Sherlock Holmes Here

Could it be that it might be easier to commit a crime against an ex-pat vs. a tourist? The tourist is generally in a group. Carries little money. Is very wary of any streets other than main roads. Doesn't walk along late at night. (all "general" thoughts).

Whereas, the bad guys have time to think about the habits and net worth of the ex-pat. In BC I see the men walk to the coffee shop, visit the bank, lunch, rest, out for dinner or shop. If I was a bad guy and desparate I think I might make him a target rather than the tourist.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Could it be that it might be easier to commit a crime against an ex-pat vs. a tourist? The tourist is generally in a group. Carries little money. Is very wary of any streets other than main roads. Doesn't walk along late at night. (all "general" thoughts).

Whereas, the bad guys have time to think about the habits and net worth of the ex-pat. In BC I see the men walk to the coffee shop, visit the bank, lunch, rest, out for dinner or shop. If I was a bad guy and desparate I think I might make him a target rather than the tourist.
Pretty fair evaluation.

Regular crooks go after the biggest/easiest bounty and don't care if the target is Dominican or gringo.
So expats are just as vulnerable as anyone else.

There are crooks who specialize in tourists, like the pickpockets who work tourist towns, and these crimes generally involve less violence.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Certain people ar targets like the 87 year old Italian. One thing to bear in mind, those Dominicans extradited from NY due to criminal activities don't just become nice guys "at home". I see these dogs on a regular baisis, I met one of the crackheads a few months ago the guy said when he passed "do you want to dieeee". The guy had someone on his mind.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Certain people ar targets like the 87 year old Italian. One thing to bear in mind, those Dominicans extradited from NY due to criminal activities don't just become nice guys "at home". I see these dogs on a regular baisis, I met one of the crackheads a few months ago the guy said when he passed "do you want to dieeee". The guy had someone on his mind.
Attacking an 87 year old man is so low, that it gets my blood boiling, everytime it's mentioned.
If there was anything that could make me lose control and go nuts on somebody, it would be if I caught one of these pond scum low-lives in the act of assaulting an elderly person.
I would have no conscience problems, torturing said person, before sending him onto the next world.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
I am with you Rocky, assaulting an elderly goes way beyond acceptable. Jrzyguy, I do not stay in a hotel, I have a house in BC. About 4 years ago, I use to "stumble" all the way across the highway two blocks, from the main drag at night. Never ever felt threatend never mind assaulted. I too carry little money, no jewelry, and don't know what a wallet is. I definitely look like a tourist, but do speak spanish. Needless to say I have changed my ways in the past few years, traveling earlier, coming home earlier, and most of the time with motos. Times have changed for sure, for the worse.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005

Johne, these guys robbing down here are not criminal masterminds. They are robberies of convenience. We only read about a robbery when someone gets killed. I bet the ratio of robberies between ex-pats to tourists is 1:10. Everyday I get down to the beach area with some local friends I hear of tourists the night before being robbed. Its not even close. We who live down there have learned for the most part to take precautions. The tourists on vacation are generally naive. They also carry far more money than myself around with them in the day and night. I laugh at some of these tourists I meet in some watering holes, at how much they are carrying. I aske them where do they think they are?? Just my point of view.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
"criminal masterminds"

Funny you used that term. Watch the program here once or twice a week.
Must be where I am getting these thoughts from.

john