Any good inexpensive hotels in Santo Domingo

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
In the same neighborhood as the last two hotels is a new one, Hostal San Francisco, brand new with great mattresses, and rooms including breakfast. At the same price of about $45 to $50 US a night.

The Alcadeza is charming, set back on a quiet street among great giant trees with a patio out front, and as J Jetson noted, little patios.

Maison Gatreaux has an excellent restaurant with both fondu and rosti potatoes for those longing for Europe.

Also in this Gazcue neighboor, a little bit up Pasteur from the St Francis is the Hostal Plaza Yu, which has both rooms and apartments for a little less, I think, at least for longer term, you can get a place for 1000 pesos a night. They are not really apartments but rather bed sitters.. with small applicances to cook. It is an easy walk to the supermarket from there.

This is a good neighborhood to stay in. There is good transportation and lovely trees for walking. Quite close to the Zona and lots of comedors for eating.. plus, of course, only a few blocks to the Malecon or the Zona.

Beautiful old trees in Gazcue. La Cadena Supermarket on Calle Cervantes, just up from Avenida Independencia (fresh cut flowers can be purchased in front of that supermarket). Also Villar Hermanos restaurant about two blocks from the Maison Gautreaux Hotel and the Hotel Alcaldeza. Villar Hermanos restaurant/bakery/sandwich shop, you can eat there or get the food to go. Several colmados (small grocery stores) that can deliver to a hotel.

Renaissance Jaragua Hotel in Gazcue will be closed for a year while it gets a $30US million dollar renovation. The recently renamed Sheraton Hotel in Gazcue, recently was remodeled. Puro Humo cigar fabrica and lounge on Avenida Delgada about 5 blocks up from Avenida Independencia is one of my favorite places in Santo Domingo.

Gazcue is about a ten minute walk to the beginning of El Conde, Zona Colonial, near park independencia. I have walked around in Gazcue and Zona Colonial, all hours of the day and night.

[video=youtube;PUA_QMhPIY4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUA_QMhPIY4&list=UUKv6VG7bhwRG854pcShSd4g[/video]

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
The Alcadeza is charming, set back on a quiet street among great giant trees with a patio out front, and as J Jetson noted, little patios.

Hotel Alcaldeza used to be part of the Radio Caribe Building. The owner of the Hotel Alcaldeza, his family, I believe were from Santiago and maybe suffered losses during the Trujillo Era and I believe the Radio Caribe property was given to his family, maybe as reparations. The owner of the Hotel Alcaldeza has family that lives in Puerto Rico. He has some nice motorcycles parked at the Alcaldeza, as well as a very nice Volkswagen Karmann Ghia.

Photo of Radio Caribe from the 1960s.

14jm0w8.jpg

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
E. Where exactly is the Alcadeza located?

The back of the Alcaldeza Hotel business card with a map. http://i61.tinypic.com/4jtl52.jpg

V Centanario Hotel is now called the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Calle Ahrens seems to go for only one block and runs parallel to the Malecon and Ave. Independencia. Avenida Pasteur is one and half blocks to the west and runs perpendicular to the direction of Calle Ahrens (they don't intersect).

Calle Burgos is good to use if you are driving and want to make a left onto the Malecon to go east, the obelisk on the Malecon there gives you room to merge onto the Malecon, when making a left onto the Malecon from Calle Burgos.

Calle Burgos is very well lit at night with new street lamps. Park Hostos is adjacent to Calle Burgos and was recently remodeled. Hotel El Se?orial is around the corner from the Hotel Alcadeza.

If you know the large lamp store on Avenida Independencia, the rear of that store faces Calle Ahrens and the Hotel Alcaldeza.

There is also an apartment rental on airbnb located on Calle Ahrens.

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Photo of Calle Ahrens facing towards Calle Burgos (east), new sidewalk, plantings and street lamps.

2dtdn5e.jpg

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Park Hostos, half a block east of the Hotel Alcaldeza.

New plantings, sidewalks, lights, exercise equipment and pathways at Park Hostos.

125ow0p.jpg

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
That is one of my favorite blocks. I always pass to walk down that one with my dog. Beautiful trees, Amazing quite. And then up the next block which has some of the prettiest houses in Gazcue. The new park is indeed lovely. They did a good job with it, even though it took forever. But it is also a very lively people watching place at night. Over the weekends, particularly, in the afternoons and evenings, the park across the street, with the "little houses" is filled with families and kids flying kites. You can sit across the street and have a great Cubano and people watch.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
oh, I see that no one is actually asking but us Gazcue promoters are just piling on to invite you here!!

Hey, it is great in Gazcue, c'mon down.

LOL MA, there should be a sticky thread on the wonders of Gazcue. Either you hate it or you love it. I happen to be one of the people who love being in Gazcue.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I love Gazcue! The park is beautiful! I've spent a little time there since it was completed. Thanks for introducing me to this hotel! I am going to book there for a few days on my next trip to SD. Thanks again!