Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Reactions: OldSkool

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
my reason for wanting one is because I’m afraid to run the propane tank out too often. I have never used my oven, only the top burners
Tell ya what, I don't use my stove every day, and the oven once a week or so.

I dry for 3 hours once a week.

I have a small 5 gal BBQ tank on my stove, and another on my Dryer and get 3-4 months easy peasy out of both.

Give it a shot, I think you'll be surprised.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Honestly, it's so easy to make bread I'm not sure why I'd need a bread maker.
I use one all the time. In DR I use the rapid cycle, makes a loaf of bread in one hour start to finish. That’s a must for me, because our electric goes out so often and I don’t want to run the bread maker on the inverter.
Otherwise I’d use the oven with the long rises, but I also hate heating up the kitchen.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I use one all the time. In DR I use the rapid cycle, makes a loaf of bread in one hour start to finish. That’s a must for me, because our electric goes out so often and I don’t want to run the bread maker on the inverter.
Otherwise I’d use the oven with the long rises, but I also hate heating up the kitchen.
That's why I have a Mabe Stainless Steel Gas stove with no electrics/electronics. :)

No electricity today, and just got my banana bread and Sourdough bread out of the oven.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's why I have a Mabe Stainless Steel Gas stove with no electrics/electronics. :)

No electricity today, and just got my banana bread and Sourdough bread out of the oven.
My stove/oven has no electronics. We don’t even plug in the cord for the igniters, I use a match.

I meant the bread machine, I don’t run a regular bread cycle because that could be almost 4 hours and would be ruined if I lost electricity mid cycle. So I use the rapid cycle, uses a lot more yeast.

I rarely use the oven in DR because of the heat.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
What's your favorite bread/recipe? I've been making Sour Dough bread for the last few months and am willing to try something new
Sourdough bread?
Sounds great but...
Are you actually going through the whole sourdough starter thing?
I succumbed to the temptation on Saturday and began the process.
It's day 4 and I'm about to give up.
Feeding, mixing and discarding...rinse repeat.
All that gluey sticky stuff...I worry about the damage to my plumbing.
It's no fun.
What am I doing wrong?
Any ideas or hints?
I fear it's back to good old easy Fleischmann's for me.
Help.
Ayudame...porfa.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Sourdough bread?
Sounds great but...
Are you actually going through the whole sourdough starter thing?
I succumbed to the temptation on Saturday and began the process.
It's day 4 and I'm about to give up.
Feeding, mixing and discarding...rinse repeat.
All that gluey sticky stuff...I worry about the damage to my plumbing.
It's no fun.
What am I doing wrong?
Any ideas or hints?
I fear it's back to good old easy Fleischmann's for me.
Help.
Ayudame...pls.

I don't mess with the starter because I don't make it that often. I buy Krusteaz on Amazon.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Anybody managed to make a real german sourdough bread i pay whatever you ask for !!!
Bread here sucks !!!!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Anybody managed to make a real german sourdough bread i pay whatever you ask for !!!
Bread here sucks !!!!
Are you in SD? Have you ever visited the German bakery? D'Alemania deli sells their bread.

Reactions: Manuel01

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bread here sucks !!!!

Agreed. I make my own every other day there. The only really good bread I ever had was at Tipico Bonao. I didn’t ask if they make it themselves or buy it, but every time we eat there I buy a couple of loaves.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Jeanet,believe it or not, sells good bread, French style though.
The bloody plastic bags ruin it.
We buy there a lot to store in the freezer but bringing our own paper wraps, if not they get limp on your way home before you empty your first beer on the road.