Any improvements in bus time from Santo Domingo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The traffic in Santo Domingo is worse than ever so count on 4.5 hours on the Caribe Express. From La Nueve to Caribe terminal takes usually a little more than one hour now.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The traffic in Santo Domingo is worse than ever so count on 4.5 hours on the Caribe Express. From La Nueve to Caribe terminal takes usually a little more than one hour now.
If you can travel on a Sunday there is zero traffic and will cut the time drastically.

Reactions: rover and Seamonkey

rover

Aug 19, 2007
To or from it's the same. Sometimes it's best to just go with the flow. You have virtually no other, safe, options that are worth the effort. That IS the general consensus and I'm sure that someone will correct me if not ;) LOL

The $33 fare is simply a part of the cost. I believe that's the official current price. It keeps going up. I seem to remember 500 pesos well into the past. Then 700, 800 and 1000. Now it's over1800. I gave up thinking in dollars a long time ago.

I once took a moto to or from the airport, it's so long ago I really don't recall the direction, and along the highway, and promised myself to never be a cheap idiot like that again LOL. There's a Dominican word for that...

My life is worth LOT more, is yours?
I agree. Never did a moto to the airport or much to anywhere always feared them but did the guagua from the airport and though not that bad not that good either and at this stage of life not an option.

I think the taxi to or from the airport is more like $50 but maybe someone who has done it recently can chime in.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I agree. Never did a moto to the airport or much to anywhere always feared them but did the guagua from the airport and though not that bad not that good either and at this stage of life not an option.

I think the taxi to or from the airport is more like $50 but maybe someone who has done it recently can chime in.
Is $15 US going to change your mind? Take the taxi and be safe.

Reactions: OldSkool

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I took the Caribe Tours express bus today at 9:30 AM from Santo Traficjam to Sosua, but I didn't pay attention to when it arrived in Sosua. Sorry.
The one real stop was in La Vega and we dropped people at several places along the way taking about a minute at each location. Four hours seems about
correct for how long it took. The day before I made the trip in a car from Cabarete to Santo Domingo faster than anyone else on the road and that took 3 hours using the Carretera Touristica to save time. If Dominicans were not such bad drivers, it would have taken 15 minutes less with my nephew driving. Not one car passed us, but there were multiple places where slow brainers were blocking the left lane while pacing the cars in the right lane, so he often drove like he was from Jersey on the Northway to get around them when he could. Just like being in a video game.

From this point on, I only have to do that trip to SD once a year now that I hold a DR passport and no longer ever need to renew residency.
Only one thing still requires an annual trip there, thankfully. I hate that place.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I took the Caribe Tours express bus today at 9:30 AM from Santo Traficjam to Sosua, but I didn't pay attention to when it arrived in Sosua. Sorry.
The one real stop was in La Vega and we dropped people at several places along the way taking about a minute at each location. Four hours seems about
correct for how long it took. The day before I made the trip in a car from Cabarete to Santo Domingo faster than anyone else on the road and that took 3 hours using the Carretera Touristica to save time. If Dominicans were not such bad drivers, it would have taken 15 minutes less with my nephew driving. Not one car passed us, but there were multiple places where slow brainers were blocking the left lane while pacing the cars in the right lane, so he often drove like he was from Jersey on the Northway to get around them when he could. Just like being in a video game.

From this point on, I only have to do that trip to SD once a year now that I hold a DR passport and no longer ever need to renew residency.
Only one thing still requires an annual trip there, thankfully. I hate that place.

Windy, You raise a question I've never heard an answer to. Do Dominicans understand the left lane is for fast traffic? Are they taught that? I realize taught could be interpreted a number of ways, but I do see driving schools all over the place both here and in San Pedro.

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona

Based upon what? I told you the current posted price ;)

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I agree with OldSkool, the normal fare for a taxi to/from the airport is around US$ 33. Uber quotes a lot less but the drivers then often ask for more money as soon as you get in the vehicle. Hotels charge US$40 and sometimes US$ 50.

Reactions: rover and OldSkool

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, You raise a question I've never heard an answer to. Do Dominicans understand the left lane is for fast traffic? Are they taught that? I realize taught could be interpreted a number of ways, but I do see driving schools all over the place both here and in San Pedro.
No, they do not understand that the left lane is for passing. Hence you get people going the same speed in both lanes slowing down all the traffic behind them. And you get people driving far slower than the speed limit in the left lane causing them to be passed on the right when possible.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Is

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Is Santo Traficjam a Caribe tours stop near Ikea in Santo Domingo to Sosua to get the express Caribe bus from Santo Domingo to Sosua? A cab driver said there was a stop by Ikea but can’t figure out where it is.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
The name of the busline is Espinal from near Ikea to Santiago. Not sure where it stops in Santiago.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
How long using the Caribe Tours express bus to Sosua ?
Cuts about 40 minutes off the travel time if they bypass Santiago center which (depending what hour you departSD) brings it down to about 3hrs 40 minutes.

Reactions: rover

Scruff

Oct 24, 2021
Sosua
Just arrived back in Sosua, if you want to call 2 kilometres west of Playero Sosua from SD last night. Was put off bus in the middle of nowhere in the rain with only Moto conch available. Froze our asses of. Took five and a half hours. Thanks Caribe tours. Will stick with Metro from now on.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Just arrived back in Sosua, if you want to call 2 kilometres west of Playero Sosua from SD last night. Was put off bus in the middle of nowhere in the rain with only Moto conch available. Froze our asses of. Took five and a half hours. Thanks Caribe tours. Will stick with Metro from now on.
Never sit in the back of a CaribeTour bus without a parka.

Status
Not open for further replies.