Any News Arriving from Canada (Puerto Plata Airport)?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The letter to the Govt refers to the arrival testing at the destination airport for travelers returning. I too think this extra test is a waste of time and resources. A molecular test in country will still be required to board a flight home and should be more than sufficient when coupled with proof of vaccination as is currently required. On the other hand If given a choice, I would prefer to submit to a test on arrival that is cost free and easier to obtain than running to a lab, paying for a test and hoping for the results in time to catch a flight while in a foreign country. If positive it has to be easier and cheaper for travelers to quarantine at home rather than abroad. It's not like there is any possibility of preventing the importation of Covid these these days.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Testing upon arrival is also being done since the vaccines don't kill the virus and there are still quite a few false test outcomes.
They cannot be too careful trying to stop something that cannot be stopped.

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014
Anyone have first hand experience arriving lately at POP. How many people are they pulling aside for random tests

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Testing upon arrival is also being done since the vaccines don't kill the virus and there are still quite a few false test outcomes.
They cannot be too careful trying to stop something that cannot be stopped.
Do you realize that they are testing at the airport passengers who already tested negative 48 hours prior? The positivity rate for those passengers has been 1.2% whereas the overall positivity rate outside of international passengers is over 20%.

The testing system is already overwhelmed with a shortage of tests and a backlog of unprocessed tests. According to Tripadvisor forums, tests at the Montreal airport are taking about 6 days to process.

On Saturday I am about to roll the dice on a trip from Puerto Plata to Toronto and will try to report on the current situation. As in the past, please feel free to argue with my first hand airport report.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Do you realize that they are testing at the airport passengers who already tested negative 48 hours prior? The positivity rate for those passengers has been 1.2% whereas the overall positivity rate outside of international passengers is over 20%.

The testing system is already overwhelmed with a shortage of tests and a backlog of unprocessed tests. According to Tripadvisor forums, tests at the Montreal airport are taking about 6 days to process.

On Saturday I am about to roll the dice on a trip from Puerto Plata to Toronto and will try to report on the current situation. As in the past, please feel free to argue with my first hand airport report.
Thank you waiting for your first hand report. I do not consider any other reports as things are always changing!

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
The letter to the Govt refers to the arrival testing at the destination airport for travelers returning. I too think this extra test is a waste of time and resources. A molecular test in country will still be required to board a flight home and should be more than sufficient when coupled with proof of vaccination as is currently required. On the other hand If given a choice, I would prefer to submit to a test on arrival that is cost free and easier to obtain than running to a lab, paying for a test and hoping for the results in time to catch a flight while in a foreign country. If positive it has to be easier and cheaper for travelers to quarantine at home rather than abroad. It's not like there is any possibility of preventing the importation of Covid these these days.

Proof of vaccination is not required for Canadian citizens returning home.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I will give you a simple answer. If you land in the DR with or without an E Ticket there is NO chance that you will be denied entry...................................

Always wondered what they do if you plead spent it all here.
They do not take credit cards last I saw.
I did manage to get out free one time using the old hundred dollar bill trick when they had no change.
Did not work the second time.
Computers will ruin this country.

Is income tax coming ?

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Everything went smoothly and the covid testers took the night off. No house arrest for me this time.
Thank you for the update. Did you have proof of vaccine from DR or Canada? If from DR did Canada custom/immigration accept your DR vaccine card in Spanish or did you have it translate? Did you have only the vaccine card or the certificate with QR code from DR?

Last question which airport did you enter Canada?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Thank you for the update. Did you have proof of vaccine from DR or Canada? If from DR did Canada custom/immigration accept your DR vaccine card in Spanish or did you have it translate? Did you have only the vaccine card or the certificate with QR code from DR?

Last question which airport did you enter Canada?
Double vax of Pfizer in Canada and was asked for proof of it in POP when leaving the DR and YYZ when entering Canada. Had to show the DR exit form as well as the Arrivecan proof at POP. They even effortlessly collected my 4500 peso overstay fee and entered it in the system.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Thank you waiting for your first hand report. I do not consider any other reports as things are always changing!
I pretty much trust the Tripadvisor forums more than anything. Right now tests at the the Montreal airport can take close to 1 week to process.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Double vax of Pfizer in Canada and was asked for proof of it in POP when leaving the DR and YYZ when entering Canada. Had to show the DR exit form as well as the Arrivecan proof at POP. They even effortlessly collected my 4500 peso overstay fee and entered it in the system.
OK Thank you

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Made a mistake with the overstay fee as it was actually 2500 pesos.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If I were in the US, I would not need a test to board a plane to the DR. Unless this somehow changed. I guess that is the reason even random upon arrival tests are done in the DR. It appears they are randomly testing many people who never had a CV19 test at all, eh?
Made a mistake with the overstay fee as it was actually 2500 pesos.
It is a FINE, not a fee, For overstaying illegally.
Why bother testing if it takes 6 days and they are already expired? No? Canadians really have to be tested before getting on a plane to the DR?

Just another example of the futility in trying to stop CV19. It cannot be stopped.