Any one with a DHL or similar account?

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
Hi Guys,

Well the saga of my car parts continues I am afraid!

Anyone who read my previous posts will know that I had some problems with my car and due to some stupid prices here a friend of mine was going to send the required parts from the states.

Ok, so yesterday all the parts are together and in a box approx 2ft X 2ft and weighing 36lb My friend took them to the DHL office in the states and was told that delivery would be nearly 500US!! (The parts cost less than 400US so even this is cheaper than buying them here!) However the guy at the DHL office said that if anyone had an account here in the DR it would be about half that price?? Having never lived in the States and having never sent anything by DHL I dont understand this resoning but if someone could help then I would be very appeciative indeed.

If not, is there a cheaper way to send such a package here that isnt going to take too long to arrive (DHL quoted 2 days delivery).

Thanks in advance

Nick

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
nickkieswetter said:
Hi Guys,

Anyone who read my previous posts will know that I had some problems with my car and due to some stupid prices here a friend of mine was going to send the required parts from the states.

Ok, so yesterday all the parts are together and in a box approx 2ft X 2ft and weighing 36lb My friend took them to the DHL office in the states and was told that delivery would be nearly 500US!! (The parts cost less than 400US so even this is cheaper than buying them here!) However the guy at the DHL office said that if anyone had an account here in the DR it would be about half that price?? Having never lived in the States and having never sent anything by DHL I dont understand this resoning but if someone could help then I would be very appeciative indeed.

If not, is there a cheaper way to send such a package here that isnt going to take too long to arrive (DHL quoted 2 days delivery).

Thanks in advance

Nick

Buy me a $265 plane ticket and I will carry it for you.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
nickkieswetter said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

Nick

Hi Nick
I suspected you may have this problem. When I Fed-exed my car part (a replacement wiper motor cost $80) it cost over $100. I needed it urgently so was prepared to pay the crazy price.
Your info is correct, I used to have a Fed-Ex account in the States and you do get discounted rates compared to Joe Average sending the occasional package.
Suggest you talk to EPS or Business Mail in POP and get it sent to a Miami PO Box for forwarding on to here. I think EPS charge something like $2-$4 a pound, so it will still cost quite a bit but not as much nor as quick as a direct DHL shipment. And of course you will be charged to set-up your account with them.
cheers
Graham