Any parties for Pedro?

Quisqueya Girl

Oct 21, 2002
oh don't tease me!! Your'e cruel!

They say he's a national hero in the DR but he's pretty well liked up here in Boston too! :)

Now that's a fine Dominican man: tall, dark, handsome, intelligent, well-sculpted :) , family-oriented and religious and with such a cute accent when he speaks English.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Pedro Martinez? LOL Your kidding right? You expect everyone to celebrate some Baseball players Birthday? Do they Celebrate Ted William's birthday or Carlton Fisk's B-Day up there in Bean town?
Wanna Celebrate the Birthday of Somebody? Celebrate mine! I have accomplished much more in my life than just being able to throw a baseball well!

Quisqueya Girl

Oct 21, 2002
Well, those of us who are fun-loving can find any reason to have a party. Life is too short to take it sooo seriously. Tony you must not be in the DR because I thought Dominicans were known for being relaxed and easy-going. Your response would be so typical of someone from Boston :)

-QG

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Hes not gay...

...hes a mujeriego, has 8 women and 17 children and needs every bit of that fat contract to pay for all of it!

Quisqueya Girl

Oct 21, 2002
I'm so surprised by this. The impression they give us up north is that he is really huge and popular in the DR.

Can somebody explain to me how Pedro is viewed and how Sammy is viewed and why?

I guess you can't believe everything you read in the papers!

-QG

ps Were you serious about the gay thing (or am I naive?)? Do you think that's because he has a very slight build compared to most baseball players?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
What I've learned

This is going to sound like I've been taking a poll, (I'm not but it's a good conversation starter - and I know most of the words in spanish) ........but I've asked literally 100 or more people in/around S.D. who is held in higher regard; Pedro or Sammy.

I'd say the breakdown goes something like this.

Pedro 70%
Sammy 15%
Neutral (like both the same) 15%

The reason being:
Pedro is classier, more humble and has been very generous to his community (not to say SS hasn't, but PM apparently has made more of an impression to who I spoke to).

Of course how they compose themselves on the field was mentioned quite often as well, and I think even the occasional baseball viewer would side with PM on this detail.

Biggest knocks on Sammy (I'm still astonished this was brought up) is that he's too much of a showboat (something about $7000 eyeglass frames - and he doesn't even have a prescription???? they are for show???).

Some other thoughts were that Pedro speaks English so well and people respect that greatly (me included). Sammy is apparently not even adept at Spanish, nevermind English.

Also, Sammy's clearly on the "juice" whereas Pedro is slight and one of the most dominant at his trade. I tend to believe most Dominicans can relate more to Pedro than Sammy.

Again, nothing scientific about this, but I've always been immensely curious about this and I've asked everyone who seemed to be in the least bit interested in discussing it with me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why? If he wants a party he can have one.

You celebrate Washington and Lincoln's birthdays, not Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig's...

Celebrate Robert E. Lee's..He went thru his university, West Point, without a single demerit, was commandant of the cadet corps and the best student!. Now, that's worth celebrating.

Most ball players in the DR are considered very low class people, popular but at arm's distance. Exceptions to this have been D?maso Garc?a, Felipe Alou, Juan Marichal, Julian Javier, Stanley Javier and Winston Llenas. (This is a generality, but pretty accurate.) All the rest, you will find in the bars and pool halls of the barrios, or esconced in mansions nobody goes to.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Take "Hillbilly" to the bank,again!

I still go with "Sammy" as the most popular in the DR! He has by far the most commercials on tv AND IN pRINT! If money earned from endorsements is the gauge.Sammy wins!CRIS

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
No doubt. I've only seen Pedro in one or two commercials ever. One for DR tourism and the other for McDonalds - or something like that.

I haven't seen him in any commercials here in the DR.

Sammy is all over the place pushing Pepsi, Baninter.

He sells. If you go to a gym, you'll see that 3/4 of the people are on steroids and practicing their swing (and 'bounce n' hop') in the mirror - and they all swing like he does.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
yadda yadda

Pedro this..Pedro that...Why is everyone on this board so in love with Pedro.All the hype and he still can never lead his team to win anything.Pedro is not a big time "team carrying" pitcher.Did you watch Curt Schilling last year?Thats a money pitcher..Pedro is a fag.
Larry

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Quisqueya Girl...pay no attention to these guys....they're just jealous of us good looking Dominican men....

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Pedro vs Sammy

After three plus years of frequent travel to the North Coast, I can attest to the fact that Pedro is the only player that people seem to follow in that part of the country.

It is easy to understand the hoopla about Pedro's birthday--considering the dearth of other heros in the country. However, that has nothing to do with the DR--it has everything to do with the lionization of sports figures at the expense of other true heros. Happens everywhere.

Now, for example, it will be interesting to see that when young people in America think of Moose, it will be Chief Moose who diligently pursued the DC area snipers. When I was a kid, Moose was a very popular New York Yankee named Skowron.

The point is--teach your kids to admire the local doctor who worked his way through school, or the teacher or the guy who shows up every day of his life to be a security guard at a gaudy resort, etc. etc. etc.

No knock on Pedro or Sammy--personally I think they both represent themselves very well. Just a short rant on a values system that knows no nationality.

Quisqueya Girl

Oct 21, 2002
mondongo - I agree with you completely :)

Abe - I totally support your values comment. But I still love Pedro.

ok here's me spilling my guts now...

Actually normally Pedro's birthday wouldn't be such a big deal despite the fact that I love him. The real reason is that my 1 year son has the same birthday so it has become a much bigger deal for me. So for now it's hard not to celebrate both my son's and Pedro's birthday. And like I said any reason to party is a good one!

-QG

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Here mine

For I LoveDR: I didn't watch Pedro, but I watched Curt Schilling this year in the playoff series and he was bombed away and looked miserable. Schilling's lifetime record(Look it up) is so bad compared to Pedro is not even worth mentioning, in addition to the fact that Schilling gets over 120 plate appearances by automatic strikeout victims(pitchers), while Pedro has to face DH's.
Notice that even Randy Johnson only started striking out 300 batters when he went to the National League.

Hillbilly: Felipe Alou can hardly speak Spanish. He is a low class Dominican, of course with good manners. All the Alous are nice people, but hardly meet the social criteria. Marichal is also a morenito from the barrio. His daughter has made it to the socialite level on his name alone, but Marichal, aside from his baseball reputation, would have been a tiguere. His Spanish is awful and his English worse. I agree with you about the Javiers, Llenas and Garcia. Add to your list Mario Guerrero.

TW

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
golo

You are another modern day fan that dosent understand sports.Being a big time player is stepping up and carrying your team.Pedro is an excellent individual player but he does not provide what it takes to carry a team to a world series.I used Curt Schilling as an example because last year he was unhittable and shut down the yankees on 3 days rest in Game seven.He was an inspiration to his teamates..he is a gamer..lifetimne stats dont mean shit.Look at shortstops for example.A-Rods regular season stats blow Deek Jeters away but last I saw A-ROD in the playoffs--I think it was 1999 or 2000 versus the yankess when he was with Seattle..he choked and went o-fer October or close to it.Now compare Derek Jeter in the post season..he is a freaking STUD!Every year he elevates his game to an awesome level..He hit 400 plus in every post season series every year and carries his team.He always makes the big play.Even this year..His teamates bombed but he almost single handedly beat the Angels.A-Rod might put up gaudy numbers but he is not a winner.Neither is Pedro and he never will be..Its all about the individual spotlight for him.He will never see a world series title.
Larry

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
You've got something confused.

ILOVEDR - I think you have the roles reversed, your spillage of verbal detritus is that of a genuine modern fan, not one of someone defending the team game.

It takes more than being a "freaking stud" to elevate a team to championship level.

You're belief in stats can all be validated with research, however it can also be muted with common sense.

I can retort that Jeter has a better supporting cast. We can go back and forth forever with clever quips (at least I know I can).

Point being, what makes players champions (in baseball anyway) are the components put around them.

So you say Jeter has got what it takes, what happened this year? ARod hadn't been in the playoffs since whenever - look at the team that was around him then; Buhner, Tino and Edgar Martinez, Griffey, good pitchers. He may not have put up gaudy stats, but he contributed mightly to their success.

If you watched Pedro pitch in Cleveland during their most recent playoff rush (seems like a decade ago) you'd see a pitcher that can carry a team - he did just that. He did the same thing this year.

However, he was sorrounded by Daubachs Offermans and Tony Clarks.

Tony Clark had 1 more homer than I did this year.

I get you're point on the modern day fan, but I believe you are just that, and certainly not a defender of what a champion player is. If so, you'd see that Pedro is all about winning the team game. What more could he possibly have to prove on an individual basis? It's non-sensical to believe otherwise.