Any Regrets living in DR?

stanleyr

Aug 20, 2005
I have visited the DR twice. I came very close to buying my retirement home there. I have lived in Antigua and Dominica for about seven years.

My question is: Would anyone be helpful enough to tell me if they have "buyers remorse" in the sense of finding out there is too much crime, or lack of reliable power, or other issues they have found make living in the DR less than desirable? Thanks for being candid. I'm 66, so those issues can make a big difference to me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
crime and power are not a problem for me. crime is everywhere and in DR at least you will not have maniacs shooting random people in the mall. that may be bacuse malls are scarce in here... :cheeky:
power - even less of an issue if you have an inversor.

i don't regret moving to DR, i have a husband here and i have love.
i am only sorry that i have no friends and no books. those two hit me the worst. it's hard to keep friendships going just by calls and emails, i am happy when we have visitors.
as for books - one day i will bring my collection but over 1000 us dollars for transport is kinda high...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have visited the DR twice. I came very close to buying my retirement home there. I have lived in Antigua and Dominica for about seven years.

My question is: Would anyone be helpful enough to tell me if they have "buyers remorse" in the sense of finding out there is too much crime, or lack of reliable power, or other issues they have found make living in the DR less than desirable? Thanks for being candid. I'm 66, so those issues can make a big difference to me.

My only real regret would be not having done it years ago!! There are solutions to the power issue and, if you find the right location, I don't believe the crime is any worse here than it is in the rest of the world. In light of current experience, the only thing I would seriously question is healthcare and medical expertise.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

I'm nearly 66 and have been living here 16+ years. No regrets whatsoever :). But stanleyr, you came close to buying a retirement home here after 2 visits? With respect you need to live (& rent) here for about 6 months before you'll know if the country is right for you. We don't know you, so difficult for us to comment on whether the country is right for you. If you're of timorous ilk, expecting good infrastructure, provision of services by the State, things getting done on time etc etc then it won't be right for you. But, hey, you've had 7 years in other Caribbean islands so you have to be accustomed to some of the differences with the first world, yes? The main difference I think you would notice with Antigua & Dominica apart from size & language, is the much smaller historical British influence here. Much greater emphasis on things American than things British.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
my regret is not taking spanish lessons at school .........maybe it wouldnt have helped I did French and cant speak that either Marie-claude es dans la cuisine

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The biggest regret is not having the close friends we left behind. We're making new friends here, but we have found, it takes time to find out if your new friends are really your friends. The upside is, with all the different cultures, we look at thing in a different light.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
crime and power are not a problem for me. crime is everywhere and in DR at least you will not have maniacs shooting random people in the mall. that may be bacuse malls are scarce in here... :cheeky:
With half the population living within minutes of a shopping mall (SDQ area & Santiago area); let's just leave it at maniacs of that type don't exist in the DR and it should stay that way.

Hey, when was the last time the DR had a school shooting? I don't remember one of those either.

-NALs ;)

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well I'm 73 and am now completey retired here for 4 years. I visited every winter for three years spending 6 months here each time, The more I came the more I liked it. So the decision was made. I regret nothing . Of course there are things I miss like the Sunday Papers, Radio 4, easy supplies of Bovril and Beef stock cubes and proper Yorkshire Tea Bags but the occasional visitor helps. The most important thing to realise is that you are a stranger in a strange land, the land is the Dominican Republic and you must adapt to it not expect them to adapt to you. After that its pretty plain sailing. For goodness sake keep away from the ex-pat roundabout otherwise you will never be happy here. Good luck, enjoy yourself.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My regret is that the clubs are not like the Hispanic clubs in the US. I also have not met any friends like I had in the US.
Every friday/saturday me and my girls (Boricuas and Dominicanas) and about 8 Dominican guy friends went to the club. We always had such a great time and we danced salsa, bachata, and reggaeton...not like here where they play one damn type of music all night. We danced all night and then went to someone's house to eat tostones and salami.
I miss my boyzzzzzzzz, they took care of me:disappoin:disappoin
SHALENA

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think I met some of them
magic-roundabout.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
With half the population living within minutes of a shopping mall (SDQ area & Santiago area); let's just leave it at maniacs of that type don't exist in the DR and it should stay that way.
Hey, when was the last time the DR had a school shooting? I don't remember one of those either.

darn, that's what happens when you live in small POP, you forget that shops exist :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
yes, not much of random mass murder. and was there ever a serial killer in DR?
biggest thing for me, aside from friends and books - my parents. they are getting quite old. who is going to help them in case something happens? they use to lose sleep over me, now it's the other way around. i regret leaving them behind.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
My regret is that the clubs are not like the Hispanic clubs in the US. I also have not met any friends like I had in the US.
Every friday/saturday me and my girls (Boricuas and Dominicanas) and about 8 Dominican guy friends went to the club. We always had such a great time and we danced salsa, bachata, and reggaeton...not like here where they play one damn type of music all night. We danced all night and then went to someone's house to eat tostones and salami.
I miss my boyzzzzzzzz, they took care of me:disappoin:disappoin
SHALENA

Whaaat? You need to visit different clubs then...Most places I've been to play those three types of music, not to mention merengue and the few slow songs sprinkled here and there. They may play predominantly one type of music, just like any club in the world I guess...

It sounds like you're missing your NY friends more than anything.

Of course you can't compare the variety a huge city like NYC has to any place in The DR, but I think compared to equal size cities most places in The DR have a lot more adult entertainment venues per capita than most other countries I've visited, including The US.

Maybe you're due for a visit to Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo for a lot more variety. The friends thing is going to be tough to find a group of Dominicans whom you can relate to the same way you could with friends from NY. As I'm sure you know by now Puertorican and Dominicanyorks have a very different attitude to the people from the islands...I much prefer the attitude from the island, but that's just me...

stanleyr

Aug 20, 2005
many thanks to all who shared

Well thanks to all of you for your input. What I liked is so many of you are positive about your experience in DR and absolutely no one dumped on the place. As to your suggestions and the differences you find there compared to the US, I totally understand and also appreciate the fact it is not the U.S.
I think I should come over soon and stay for a month just traveling the country. That should give me the final say. Again, thanks to all of you for taking time for this.
Stanley

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
worrying

i had buyer remorse the first week of my first house and remorse the last six months. anytime you put your $$$ down and its gone you want value for it.. i had alot of problems but all owner induced. you have to live here or its the long haul... very hard to come here and make$$.. i met two guys who did. they made a bloody fortune...but they had $$$ to start and those days are over.. i myself am back and forth abouy buying renting building... now its buy a nice piece of ground outside of town...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Whaaat? You need to visit different clubs then...Most places I've been to play those three types of music, not to mention merengue and the few slow songs sprinkled here and there. They may play predominantly one type of music, just like any club in the world I guess...

It sounds like you're missing your NY friends more than anything.

Of course you can't compare the variety a huge city like NYC has to any place in The DR, but I think compared to equal size cities most places in The DR have a lot more adult entertainment venues per capita than most other countries I've visited, including The US.

Maybe you're due for a visit to Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo for a lot more variety. The friends thing is going to be tough to find a group of Dominicans whom you can relate to the same way you could with friends from NY. As I'm sure you know by now Puertorican and Dominicanyorks have a very different attitude to the people from the islands...I much prefer the attitude from the island, but that's just me...

I actually lived in Raleigh,NC (I hate NYC).
And I thought that Zona Colonial was a bore. Maybe it was just me, or the fact that I didn't go at night.
SHALENA

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I actually lived in Raleigh,NC (I hate NYC).
And I thought that Zona Colonial was a bore. Maybe it was just me, or the fact that I didn't go at night.
SHALENA

Sorry for some reason I thought you lived in NY...Never been to Raleigh (only Charlotte and spent a lot of time in SC...but I digress)

Post still applies though...whether the Dominicans and Ricans are from NY or Raleigh....

ZC can be a lot of fun, but you have to go at night and know where the places are too. Remember this is a very old part of town, so there are a lot of narrow, small, kind of hidden streets with a lot of smaller bars, cafes, etc.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
regrets?

Absolutly no regrets. We have been here full time for almost three years now. Unlike Lambada's advice (and yes it is very good sound advice) we bought property on our first trip down 5 years ago. We have just finished and moved into our villa and are still enjoying the adventrue.
Yes we left some very good friends behind and many have visited on more then one occassion and yes we have made many new good friends here from all over the world as well. It does take time to weed out those who are true friends, but they are not hard to find.
Yes we came to retire, but ended up working (real estate) and are enjoying that experience as it has led us to making new friends as well.
You need to be adaptable, and know that it is and nothing works like "back home" but then again we are not "back home" , we are now home!
Also do learn that manana has nothing to do about tomorrow, when some one tells you they will take care of it manana that simply means it will not get done today.

PM if you want more info.

Bob K

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Absolutly no regrets. We have been here full time for almost three years now. Unlike Lambada's advice (and yes it is very good sound advice) we bought property on our first trip down 5 years ago. We have just finished and moved into our villa and are still enjoying the adventrue.
Yes we left some very good friends behind and many have visited on more then one occassion and yes we have made many new good friends here from all over the world as well. It does take time to weed out those who are true friends, but they are not hard to find.
Yes we came to retire, but ended up working (real estate) and are enjoying that experience as it has led us to making new friends as well.
You need to be adaptable, and know that it is and nothing works like "back home" but then again we are not "back home" , we are now home!
Also do learn that manana has nothing to do about tomorrow, when some one tells you they will take care of it manana that simply means it will not get done today.

PM if you want more info.

Bob K

Good Post.
SHALENA

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
my regret is not taking spanish lessons at school .........maybe it wouldnt have helped I did French and cant speak that either Marie-claude es dans la cuisine

As in Spanish verbs in French are not easy. Marie-Claude esT dans la cuisine.