Any Shark attack in DR?

D

Diane

Is there any Shark or other animal/fish attack in DR?
if so, is it serious injuries?

Thank you.
Diane

T

tgf

I worked with fisherman in the DR for two years. Yes, very rarely a person will be attacked by a shark. It happens about as often as a person gets struck by lightning twice in their lifetime. I mean it is very, very rare. I have snorkled and scuba-dived in the DR on the north coast and never worried about shark attack. Don't worry!!!

E

Eddy

However there are a lot of two legged one's with a great deal.

D

Diane

But what about on the East coast, North of Punta Cana area.?

And what about Man-of-War and other species that would attack or hurt by touching it?

I know I sound paranoid, but when I was little I stepped on an Oyster and it cut the entire nerve of my toe, it happen twice, it was in Canada. Also in Florida I got bit by a crab, it was not as bad as the Oyster, but still a little afraid. I LOVE to swim and be in the water, but not getting stung, bit or cut. :-(

Again thank you for the info.
Diane :)

D

Dave

That's why you should always wear "surf shoes" !

There are jellyfish in the DR. They can irritate your skin (particularly if you are allergic to bee stings etc.) I have only seen a couple man-o-war's in 7 years of diving in DR. However, when entering any ocean you should not be going into the water in bare feet. You are begging for the types of problems you have already encountered with the shells. Coral, rays, rocks, shell (etc.) abound in the ocean. Use surf shoes or an old pair of canvas tennis shoes.

If all else fails....you always have the pool!

Best, Dave

C

Canadian Bob

Re: That's why you should always wear "surf shoes"

Hi!, Don't worry about sharks. I always carry a stick about 4 ft long when I go snorkelling to fend off from rocks with sea urchins if I get moved by the swell. Don't touch anything & you'll be fine! Enjoy!! Canadian Bob.

A

A Gringo in Puerto Plata

Eddy is correct!...They are referred to down here as the "Sanki Panki" Shark!.....
Beware!

K

kappa

your right eddy and there are plenty of Barracuda around too but thats normally around some of the bars & clubs on a night

S

Sarah

Not to mention broken glass from those ever present Brugal and Presidente bottles. I agree Dave, at least canvas tennis...about $5US at WalMart...are a good investment!

T

tgf

Diane, the above advice is all good. Sea urchins and jellyfish stings are much more likely than shark attack. One other piece of advice which is common sense is not to wear jewelry under water. Barracuda are territorial and curious (Guys, I'm talking about the marine types, not sanki pankis even though it applies to them also). A bright ring or watch mimic the actions of a fishing lure. A cuda might take a swipe at your finger thinking its a fish when all it's only your wedding ring.

J

Jim Hinsch

The bottom line, if you swim enough in the ocean, you will probably eventually get stung, cut, or bit. There is a lot of life in the ocean. If you can't manage the risk, swim in the pool.

For what its worth, I've been swimming in various oceans about 10 days a month for over 10 years. I've been stung by jelly fish several times, bit by crabs, nipped at by small hungry fish, cut on sharp rocks and coral (once, serious), stabbed by sea urchins (I stepped on one), and almost monthly I get coated in this stingy chemical that's released by some plant when the currents are right and they get tossed about.

I've had the crap scared out of me as I was chased on a jet-ski by a school of sharks (they turned out to be dolphins, but they scared the hell out of me until I figured that out). None of these things would keep me from going in an ocean. I've had more accidents on dry land than in the water (nicks, cuts, scrapes, even bone breaks, etc.) and the closest I've ever come to breaking my neck was when I slipped on a pool deck.

D

Dave

And Jim was almost attacked by crazed fisherman...

.....while he was skiing on Rio De Chavon. Those crazy snook fisherman just hate the skiboats wake while they are trying to get a "monster" out from under the mangroves......lol

Best, Dave

D

Diane

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I personally don't like pool, so I'll make sure to wear surf shoes, will not touch the corals and won't wear my jewelry.

Tgf,
You were talking about Barracuda, aren't they vicious! I've heard that cuda are worth then shark, if they have a chance they will attack you?

T

tgf

If they attack it is almost always an accident (i.e, the swipe at the ring by mistake problem). I have seen small barracuda near me many times and not worried about it. If I saw a large 4 foot barracuda following me I might leave the water for awhile, but they are mainly curious. In clear water they can see you and will leave you alone.

C

Canadian Bob

There are sharks, including the Tiger shark. Several years ago a spear fisherman from Maimon was approached by a tiger shark which grabbed the string of fish he had speared. He was mad enough to tell his friends that next day he would get his revenge on the shark.... He entered the water & was never seen again. Blood in the water undoubtedly attracts sharks, but they are uncommon in shallow water. There is also a shark-fin fishery off the north coast which catches them outside the reefs. The fins go to Asian markets. Unless the water is murky, or blood is present it is most unlikely that sharks pose any danger. Just don't touch anything including coral, as Fire coral is quite common in the reefs which will give you a nasty welt. Canadian Bob (Qualified diving instructor).

B

Bob in Milw.

Diane, Every time I go diving...

...I pray I get to see a shark or baracuda up close so I can
take pictures of them. Unfortunatly I rarely see them and when
I do I have a hard time getting close enough to get a good shot
because they always swim away from me before I can take their
picture. They don't want anything to do with you. The underwater
world is so beautiful. Put your fears a side and enjoy the
beauty. Peace, Bob in Milw

B

Bob in Milw.

Hi Jo, Only 76 more days.....

.....and we'll be in Punta Cana diving and snorkeling with
those big bad monsters of the sea!!! LMAO Don't worry though,
because I'll be swimming next to you and I'm sure they'll
consider me much more appetizing!!! LOL Bob

J

jade

Re: Diane, Every time I go diving...

i have just got back from the north of the island porter plater area a man fro, my hotle went on a trip 2 an island and went snorkling he only had one leg and got bit by a barecuda i dont no if it was because he had 1 leg and had a filper on or what but he got his foot bit quite bad

D

Diane

bit by a barracuda!

Poor guy! he only have one leg and got bit by a barracuda, his definitely not lucky. :-(

Thanks everyone for all the info.