Anyone bought a refrigerator lately?

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
We purchased a microwave form corripio in POP. The clock failed after 1 week. Took it in and he said they had to send it to Santiago to a technician. He said it will take a week. I asked if I could exchange it, he said no, could I get a refund, he said no. One week, LOL We also purchased a previous microwave from LaSirina. It was rusty after 2 months. We cleaned it after every use and let it air out. Not sure where to buy a product where the store stands behind it.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We never had any issues with appliances from Plaza Lama . Where ever you decide to buy from the only thing I would make sure it has is a built in inverter. Normally it will allow a fridge to work properly between 42 to 240 volts.
Our old Samsung lasted 15 years here with 12 of them on the beach. It did not have an inverter as they were not available at that time but I would buy Samsung again in a minute.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We purchased a microwave form corripio in POP. The clock failed after 1 week. Took it in and he said they had to send it to Santiago to a technician. He said it will take a week. I asked if I could exchange it, he said no, could I get a refund, he said no. One week, LOL We also purchased a previous microwave from LaSirina. It was rusty after 2 months. We cleaned it after every use and let it air out. Not sure where to buy a product where the store stands behind it.
Guarantees of any type in the DR are meaningless.
It kind of goes to the integrity of the country

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
One thing no one has mentioned yet: Whatever store you go to, get the price first, act like you are really interested in buying then ask how much is the discount if you buy it.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I always go armed with cash. That way you should always get a discount. Possibly places like jumbo won't have that flexibility.

Reactions: JD Jones

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
We purchased a TV from Corripio in POP and it got fried during an electrical storm a month or so later. Took it in to them - they sent it to Santiago to a tecnician. Granted it took longer than a week - but it was repaired - no questions asked. They called and we picked it up. All good.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Guarantees of any type in the DR are meaningless.
It kind of goes to the integrity of the country
We've had to deal with guarantees with La Sirena and Corripio, with tv and fridge (the control board fried and they replaced it free) and never any issues... We purchased a tv from offer from La Sirena, it went black after 6 months and they honored the guarantee without any issues... They did not have that tv anymore there so it was a full cash refund....

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
No one asked op where on north coast. Here i would do Pappaterra or La Sirena. Both places i have had success with inverter ac and fridge. Fast and courteous delivery/install where applicable. Warranty a must, although most always they blame it on your home wiring and of course that nulls the warranty. Always be sure you have a good fridge mechanic. Always be sure you espeaky Pani.
Am in Sosua. So seems inverter is way to go and Samsung or Whirlpool. Mabe is GE brand. No idea where Tapiestilo is in Sosua Abajo. Sounds like Corripio, La Sirena or Jumbo are way to go.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Am in Sosua. So seems inverter is way to go and Samsung or Whirlpool. Mabe is GE brand. No idea where Tapiestilo is in Sosua Abajo. Sounds like Corripio, La Sirena or Jumbo are way to go.
Tapiestilo is near the bottom of the hill as you go down from Los Charamicos, on the right. Maybe it's officially in Los Charamicos. It's almost opposite the gas station.

Reactions: anng3
Jun 21, 2021
Cabarete
On Black Friday 2017, we bought a "Frigidaire" stainless steel at Casa Lama. JAJAJAJa...We bought it because it has reversible doors, But it did not come with the hardware.
No problem, I thought. I'll just call and get soem shipped from the states.

Hello, how may I help you?

Hi there. I have a Frigidaire Model ##### and I nneed the hardware to change the doors around.

I am sorry Sir, I do not have that model listed.

But it is only a year old!

Sorry sir.

Look the Serial number from the sticker on the back is #########

Sorry Sir, that is not a Frigidaire serial number.

Yes it is! The sticker says it was made in China.

I am sorry sir, Frigedaire does not make appliances in China!!!

I do not know whether this is true but that was what I was told.

It works well, but watch out for LAMA

HB
there is no hardware, you remove the pivots/hinges and reverse them and they work on the other side

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Plaza Lama is one of the worst places to buy appliances in the DR. They have already been caught selling refurbished goods as new among other things. Any model that no one will buy in the US ends up here. Stay away.................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Plaza Lama is one of the worst places to buy appliances in the DR. They have already been caught selling refurbished goods as new among other things. Any model that no one will buy in the US ends up here. Stay away.................
Agreed, Yet, some people don't want the truth!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Where I am staying in the Zona, they have a LG fridge...Inverter Linear... 10yr guarantee

I think I'll be looking into one when my times comes

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where I am staying in the Zona, they have a LG fridge...Inverter Linear... 10yr guarantee

I think I'll be looking into one when my times comes
That’s exactly what we bought
71DDD2D1-9672-4CEA-83BD-B2131CE7063A.jpeg