Anyone else tired of the thievery in POP airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
So lets face it, Christmas is around the corner so the "security thieves" in POP airport have surfaced again.
In my experience, it only happens at this time of year.

When I passed through the security checkpoint, they asked to check my carry on...no problem.

They set aside my umbrella (which I ALWAYS have in my carry on), dulce de leche (not the liquid but solid one, which I ALWAYS have in my carry on) and a "pilon" (pestle and mortar composed of wood).

He then proceeded to tell me that the items above are prohibited...so I at that point politely ask him to tell me why and where it is stated since I follow the TSA guidelines and to this effect, nothing above is prohibited.

So here is the "logic"

umbrella has metal...therefore dangerous...so I guess the underwire in my bra doesnt count as metal?

dulce de leche..."porque" was the reason I was given...valid?

pilon could potentially be used as a weapon...to which I responded one could kill with their bare hands

So I ask for "el jefe"...who was of the same mentality. I told him I didnt want to argue and to simply take that which is rightfully mine. I also said that I had never had a problem in any other of the countries aiports through which I have travelled...to which he call me "mentira".

Lucky for me, I was able to call my ride and leave my stuuf there until a future trip....but to some unsuspecting tourist who came on a transfer bus or with a taxi, they have no choice but to surrender the goods.

I did check in with the airline once back home who confirmed that all of the items could be brought in carry on baggage.

Reactions: Rocky

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
They set aside my umbrella (which I ALWAYS have in my carry on), dulce de leche (not the liquid but solid one, which I ALWAYS have in my carry on) and a "pilon" (pestle and mortar composed of wood).

He then proceeded to tell me that the items above are prohibited...so I at that point politely ask him to tell me why and where it is stated since I follow the TSA guidelines and to this effect, nothing above is prohibited.

So here is the "logic"

umbrella has metal...therefore dangerous...so I guess the underwire in my bra doesnt count as metal?

dulce de leche..."porque" was the reason I was given...valid?

pilon could potentially be used as a weapon...to which I responded one could kill with their bare hands

So I ask for "el jefe"...who was of the same mentality. I told him I didnt want to argue and to simply take that which is rightfully mine. I also said that I had never had a problem in any other of the countries aiports through which I have travelled...to which he call me "mentira".

OK here goes...

1) TSA Guidelines - TSA is a US Federal department(?) formed immediately after 9/11 and while their guidelines and/or regulations may be followed by other countries they are only guaranteed to be in effect entirely in the case of US domestic flights where TSA are in complete control. Otherwise other countries (including Canada) may or may not choose to follow TSA regulations and guidelines.

2) Umbrella - while I sympathize with your close call with losing your umbrella I suggest you pack it in your checked baggage when traveling to or from the DR. It seems that either Dominicans have a deathly fear of the abilities of an umbrella to kill and maim or they are really afraid of getting wet since this item is also routinely confiscated at the PUJ airport also.

3) Regarding your dulce de leche and pilon I have no comment unless they have a sweet tooth and are into grinding God knows what - LOL. As usual some things Dominican defy logic.

Gregg

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It makes no sense, but...........

I had an umbrella taken from me at SDQ, but at the same time I had 2 bottles of water in a different carry on they just overlooked. They also wanted to take my spare batteries. I took the old batteries out of my devices, installed the new ones, and gave them the old ones.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
never had a problem at POP airport. my umbrella is in my carry on and it's pretty expensive. plus they always get a kick out of my school supplies and baseball equipment in my carry on so i guess thats why i have no problems. and i also bring little lotions and toiletries to give to the custom ladies so all that helps. i hope this doesn't sound like i'm bribing them but i guess i am.

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
The umbrella thing and the DR. I have travelled a lot and the DR is the only place where they are sometimes concerned with umbrellas. They took one from me once in Santiago about 6 years ago and they tried to take one from me at Puerto Plata about a year ago. I have had no problems with umbrellas or anything in Santiago since the changes after Leonel. In Puerto Plata I told them I always take it in my carry on and I showed them the stamps in my passport and they gave it back. If it is raining outside they need umbrellas so be prepared for the tax.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I can for all the heart of mine not empathize with the OP's allegations.
Security goes first. We ALL fly on the same planes.
If silverware on planes now replaced with ultra flimsy plastic cutlery posed a danger, so does a pilon or may an umbrella. The "solid" milk... well, I think they get pretty strict GENERIC information of what is in and what is out. As time goes by, I think even pencils may wind up black listed. Try to limit yourself to valuables and what one really may need ON the airplane. It will get more and more restricted anyway.
This time I traveled, I had some duct tape with me in case they would ask for one of my checked boxes to be opened... they took that out. I don't think it would be to enrich the immigration agent's family, as I see how duct tape could be used as a bondage tool... as far as I am concerned, they were welcome to it and if they take it home, good for them, what do I care... even better, I feel a little more secure to know, nobody on board is allowed to have any on board!

You know what, if in doubt, you ask before checking your main luggage. I've done so in the past and they have been quite helpful and in doubt gone to some extend to find out if yes or no.

It just so happens that 911 affected more than 3000 people. Welcome to the club. I hope the OP can bare his loss and learn from it.

Anyways, I think that labeling it "thievery" is utmost inappropriate.

... J-D.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Booze????

Why do they still allow alcohol to be carried on board. Once a person clears the security checkpoint they can purchase alcohol to be carried on board. I am quite sure a couple bottles of booze can do more damage than an umbrella.

I also noticed the smoking area in the Gate B area of SDQ has been replaced with a news stand.

Mar 2, 2008
I have witnessed the "Christmas syndrome" in several other venues, but not at POP. Generally, they are very well managed. I'm sure there are exceptions, but overall, not too bad.

I also agree with JD. Security is first and foremost. If that entails some miss-calls at the gate, well, that goes with the territory.

I have had a few questionable items confiscated also, so I know how it feels, but compare that feeling with the one those passengers felt on 9/11.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. i see no reason to have umbrella in carry on luggage unless one is 80 years old or/and has tuberculosis.
2. i believe no umbrella took part in 9/11 events so lets leave it out, shall we?
3. never had anything taken from my carry on luggage but then i look like i am about to barf at all times when travelling (motion sickness and travel meds) so security officers tend to step back when i approach.

Mar 2, 2008
Leave out 9/11??

That is very difficult to do when the discussion involves airplane travel, don't you think?

That event changed everything, in terms of the rules and regulations governing airline passengers. If one cannot understand the relationship between 9/11 and the experience of flying today, then one doesn't really have an understanding of history and how it affects us.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
logic should also dictate that a single man going to the DR with an umbrella would never dream of hijacking an airplane. agree ?
maybe hijacking a chica from the discoteca. :laugh:

danely

Apr 23, 2004
Why do they still allow alcohol to be carried on board. Once a person clears the security checkpoint they can purchase alcohol to be carried on board. I am quite sure a couple bottles of booze can do more damage than an umbrella.

I also noticed the smoking area in the Gate B area of SDQ has been replaced with a news stand.

This is a great point.....you could do a lot with a bottle of liquor and a match on a plane....why is that allowed ?...but you can't take your bottled water ?!:paranoid:

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008

Good observation. This recent change bothers me, as there is no place to smoke in the airport now.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I had an umbrella taken from me at SDQ, but at the same time I had 2 bottles of water in a different carry on they just overlooked. They also wanted to take my spare batteries. I took the old batteries out of my devices, installed the new ones, and gave them the old ones.

Coming to the DR, I was stopped in Tampa because of my carry-on.

When they opened the bag they said: Oh, just packs of batteries.
I always bring in large packs of "FRESH" AA and AAA batteries.

On my last trip in I made sure the batteries were in one of the carry-on's that had less things to worry about with the x-ray machine.

Guess what?

They did not stop me this time.
There was nothing else in the bag to attract attention along with the batteries.

Don

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I might be evil, but sometimes I think of things to bring for them to steal from me ..... like old dead batteries, rotten salami etc.. and some things I cant mention here.

YoYa

Dec 7, 2009
do they still ask the returning people for money not to open their luggage? it worries me that they may open my bag and take my things on a whim, i remember people saying that they gave people at the aduana 10 dollars to pass through without their bags being opened. is this still the case? i think is disgusting.

do they still ask the returning people for money not to open their luggage? it worries me that they may open my bag and take my things on a whim, i remember people saying that they gave people at the aduana 10 dollars to pass through without their bags being opened. is this still the case? i think is disgusting.

Yes they still want some dollares for not opening your luggage... :ermm:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think there are TWO completely separate issues:

1. Safety checks when LEAVING the DR... I have never experienced any "corruption" or obvious abuse of "power" there, but others may have other experiences. Maybe there is at time some lack of detailed knowledge or capabilities to discern certain risks in detail but that would still seem a far cry form a racket being run in an obvious manner. As I stated, they have checked some of my stuff, and some of it was certainly NOT what they'd get to see every day... and always gone quite out of their way to accommodate me and my "stuff" so they would also not brake any rules.
  2. Customs controls when entering the DR. Whole different ball game, different goal, different people, different reasoning. I have been invited to pay a small "fee" not to go thru "declaring" some stuff, on an other occasion I "gambled" or had them "bet" on something... they lost graciously and I got my pedal steel guitar in home free. When I have stuff along which is dear to me, I always see to it to have some little "disposable gifts" along too... like perfume or a $5.oo fake Mont Blanc pen (now THAT always "smoothens" things out and gets their attention! ;)).
Anyways, the two scenarios should not be confused, IMHO.

... J-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.