anyone have recent well pump experience

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
need a submersable pump the water is 30 meters down a hole and is to be pumped to a large underground tank up a slight incline (not direct to the house)- any ideas about the size of pump needed, makes, cost etc would be interesting to know

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~This one will work wonders, however you still need an installer...this one runs about $520.00US...Meyers Submersible Well Pump 20 GPM 1.5 HP 230V with Control Box....make sure the tank can handle the pressure as well as the lines....I have seen people get higher HP pumps that the older pipes cannot handle and they blow all the pipes in the house....I know your going to a tank, but better to be safe then sorry....

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i dont need a control box I dont think, just a switch as i will just be pumping every few days I think

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Is your holding tank pressurized? or will you just be filling it on demand as need and not pressure regulated??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr AE says the brand he recommends is Gould. Call Casa Torpedo in SD (I reminded him youre in Sosua and he said call them)

AE

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
JR, is there some special reason that you specifically need a submersible type of pump? As you probably know, they are more expensive than regular water pumps plus you have to make sure that you access tube has no obstructions, etc. I would imagine that a Red Jacket type of pump with a check valve on the intake tube would work fine. You may have to investigate at Ochoa for example, as to what horsepower they would recommend given the distances and tube sizes.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
That may very well be, but I have seen irrigation type of systems pumping from a well with a surface pump, of course I don't know from what depth. I just checked quickly on amazon.com and they listed a 1/2 hp model that says it will pump from 90 feet (Amazon.com: Wayne Deep Well Jet Pump - 310 GPH, 1/2 HP, 1 1/4in., Model# JCU50: Home Improvement), so maybe a larger one would work in your application? Usually the guys at the plumbing dept of Ochoa are pretty knowledgeable, maybe worth asking. I will ask around tomorrow at work to see if anybody has any ideas about this as well.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
No surface pump exsists that that can pull water from below 33 feet it is an impossibility. (general depth limit is considered to be between 25 -29 feet but other facters may weigh in such as atmospheric pressure at the site amoungst others, temprature, specific water density etc..)

Now to push water up, you can to the moon with enough HP's!

To figure out what size submersible pump you will need you need to supply the following information:

1. Well Depth From the Surface?
2. Well Casing Diameter?
3. Amount of Water you want to pump per minute/hour or day?
4. Actuall Well effeciency, is a combination of casing diameter, casing depth and column replenishment.
5. Distance vertically between the well head to the tank you want to fill and if it a considerable distance that would need to be know.
6. If you are going to use piping that is all ready installed, its size and type needs to be known as well, other wise pipe size will be dictated by all the answers to the previous questions.

g'luck

Last edited:

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
deeper you go the slower they pump. surface pump very slow for 20ft or more.check northern tool website to learn more

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No surface pump exsists that that can pull water from below 33 feet it is an impossibility. (general depth limit is considered to be between 25 -29 feet but other facters may weigh in such as atmospheric pressure at the site amoungst others, temprature, specific water density etc..)

You are assuming that they don't have any way to keep the pump primed. As far as not having enough power to do that's balderdash. :)

To the OP: I recommend contacting Ochoa to see if they can do quick calcs and recommend a pump or you can contact Hillybilly as I believe his sons have a pump company.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Well Chip

I am not assuming anything, you sir are assuming that I do not know what I state.....It Sir is an irrefutable Fact, it is IMPOSSIBLE to pump (pull) water up from 33 feet or below on the planet earth under natural atmospheric conditions. At about 25 feet or below there is a serious decrease in return or flow achieved for the efforts exerted to rise the water to the surface.

ANYBODY that states differently does not know what they are talking about.

But you can push water as high and as far as one wants only limited by available H.P.

Why in earth do you think submersible well pumps were developed?????

Why do you think Hand Well Pumps for use below 20 feet use a sucker rod?

The elusive answer is to push the water up because it is impossible to pull it up via suction below 33', as stated before the general limit is considered to be 25 - 29 feet, at 25 feet the difficulties begin to increase.

If you try to pull on water in a well through a tube or pipe that is at 33 feet, the water will not, will not rise to the top, it will however begin to bubble and toil and laugh at your foolish efforts.

g'luck

never assume, try learning something..........

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the water is 98 ft - 30 meters , so a little over 33 ft lol, strange that people higher up the hill dont have to drill as far

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
JR, ok so 98 ft is to the top of the water? Do you have any idea how far down into the water you would need to draw the water from(ie does the well have a high flow rate to fill it)? Also, what is the approximate diameter of the well? I am heading off to work now and will ask some of the engineers there what they think.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well Chip

I am not assuming anything, you sir are assuming that I do not know what I state.....It Sir is an irrefutable Fact, it is IMPOSSIBLE to pump (pull) water up from 33 feet or below on the planet earth under natural atmospheric conditions. At about 25 feet or below there is a serious decrease in return or flow achieved for the efforts exerted to rise the water to the surface.

ANYBODY that states differently does not know what they are talking about.

But you can push water as high and as far as one wants only limited by available H.P.

Why in earth do you think submersible well pumps were developed?????

Why do you think Hand Well Pumps for use below 20 feet use a sucker rod?

The elusive answer is to push the water up because it is impossible to pull it up via suction below 33', as stated before the general limit is considered to be 25 - 29 feet, at 25 feet the difficulties begin to increase.

If you try to pull on water in a well through a tube or pipe that is at 33 feet, the water will not, will not rise to the top, it will however begin to bubble and toil and laugh at your foolish efforts.

g'luck

never assume, try learning something..........

You are right.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Ok JR, from what I was able to find out today, you basically have two options, one the submersible pump that you mentioned or a surface mounted centrifugal jet pump. The jet pump is a centrifugal type of pump that also has a jet injector down in the water in the well to push the water to the surface. Here is a good website description:

Jet Pumps ? Part 1 - Columns - National Driller

So during lunch I stopped by the big Ochoa on Imbert to see what they had. They have a submersible pump and motor for a combined price of $22,463.53 RD before discount. That is a DAB pump, rated at 15-61 gpm, 220-50ft depth, coupled with a 2 hp Telsa motor.

Fortunately, they also had a Pedrollo .85 hp centrifugal jet pump for deep wells for $11,996.83 before discount. The guy checked the chart for the pump and it did indicate that it would pump from 30 meters, not with a lot of force, but probably suitable in your case to fill the cistern. Here is a photo of the Pedrollo with the associated jet:

28816yq.jpg

Both setups use 220v.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~JR have a read below this may help you......and the 7 inches is pushin it....lol

STAINLESS STEEL
DEEP WELL PUMP
HAND & SOLAR

0' - 350'

With the Simple Pump installed alongside your existing electric well pump, you're ready for any and all emergencies.

PRICE LIST

Using a patent-pending pump rod design, the Simple Pump can deliver up to three gallons of water per minute from well depths exceeding 350 feet, with an output pressure of up to 100 psi (To pump up a pressure tank or up hill). An optional Solar or Wind powered 12-volt Motor Attachment (Fed with Battery) will pump 1/2 to 2 gallons per minute from wells up to 200 feet deep. Built for dependability and backed by a five-year replacement parts warranty. This Stainless Pump:

Can pressurize your house pressure tank. Take a shower, flush the toilet - all without electricity or a generator!

Fits inside your existing well case beside your electric pump system. You keep two functioning systems - electric and hand.

Is completely computer-machined by experienced craftsmen in our own aerospace-caliber machine shop for absolute quality control.

Features corrosion-resistant stainless steel components in a freeze-resistant design for years of trouble-free use.

Comes standard with a powerful 24" aluminum lever handle.

Is easy to install; most homeowners can do it themselves with no special tools!

A typical 100 foot installation is an easy two man job and can be completed in about an hour.

Five Year Warranty on materials and workmanship!

Simple Pumps feature machined components.
How can two pumps fit down the same well?
Modern domestic wells are generally constructed using 4", 6" or 8" casing. The casing is the large steel pipe that extends out of the ground. Your electric pump probably uses either a 1" or 1 1/4" pipe (called "drop pipe") extending to the pump. This leaves plenty of room for the Simple pump. If you are using our 4" cover, the maximum existing pipe through the cover is 1". The Simple system uses only 1" pipe. The Simple pump is smaller than the couplings on our 1" pipe. It is also spherical in shape on the bottom so that, as it is lowered, it is less likely to snag couplings on your electric system. Additionally, the Simple pump will be installed 20 to 70 feet above your electric pump, allowing for plenty of space for both.

Solar Powered / Battery

Solar Power Your Deep Weel Pump! We povide the complete kit to power by solar including panels & battery

How deep should I install my pump?
It is not necessary to install your emergency pump as low as your electric pump. Most wells have the electric pump set at 20 to 70 feet below the water level. The Simple pump can be installed safely at 36 to feet below the water level. The pumping effort is determined by the water level and not the pump level. Additionally, it is unlikely that the electric pump would be used at the same time as the Simple Pump. Therefore the water level will not be drawn down when the hand pump is being used. If you intend to use the hand pump at the same time that your electric is being operated, you will need to set the Simple submersible pump cylinder at a depth that the water level will not go below. The company last serviced or drilled your original well should be able to recommend a depth.

Here is a a Schematic Diagram showing how you can easily pipe the outlet of the Simple Pump to the outlet of the Simple Pump into your house pressure system. The hand pump can deliver pressure to your home pressure tank. If you plan to connect to your house pressure system, get our ready to go check valve/gauge assembly.

Drop Pipe Kit:
Each kit includes 9 feet of 1" schedule 120 PVC , threaded on each end: 9 feet of 80,000 psi fiberglass rod with stainless steel ends forming the "sucker rod"; and a delrin rod guide. The sections assemble very easily. Lowering 100 feet with a pump takes about 30 to 45 minutes. Each 9 foot section weighs about 5 pounds. 100 feet with a pump will weigh about 65 pounds.

PRICES

Pricing and Purchasing:
The Simple Pump kit (model 100L) comes complete with all necessary installation components: submersible stainless steel pump cylinder (shown in picture above),2", 4", 5", 6", 7"or 8" well-casing cover with clamp flanges, and an upper spigot assembly (shown above). The Drop pipe kit (model 109DP) includes a 1" schedule 120 PVC with coupling, delrin rod guide, and one 80,000 psi fiberglass pump rod with integral stainless steel fittings. Each drop pipe kit is sold as a 9' length kit, U.P.S. limits packages to 9' in length therefore we offer the drop pipe kits in 9' maximum and also in 27" and 54". Example: If an installation requires the pump to be at 60', then seven 9' kits or kits are required. (63')