Anyone Know About Portable Air Conditioners?

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
I have one. A 12,000 BTU unit, 120vac, bought it from Plaza Lama.
It came with an insert for the window that closes the gap around the exhaust hose. The water drains into one of the large water bottles.

The fan is noisier than a wall unit but not deafening.

The power usage is around 900 watts.

My biggest surprise was the cost. Comparable to a wall mounted unit, it was RD$29,000.
However, I really needed a portable unit so thats the way it is.

Reactions: Jan

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My son has this unit and he says it is both quiet and very good. He has a two bedroom apt just over a 1000 sq ft and does the job. You of course would need one this big but the brand is very good.Midea Real Cool 12,000-BTU SACC Inverter Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner/AC,

Reactions: Jan

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My son has this unit and he says it is both quiet and very good. He has a two bedroom apt just over a 1000 sq ft and does the job. You of course would need one this big but the brand is very good.Midea Real Cool 12,000-BTU SACC Inverter Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner/AC,
Nice! An inverter portable A/C sounds like a real winner.

My biggest issue with mine was noise and electricity consumption, and this unit throws both of those concerns out the window.

hedon

Mar 26, 2008
Nice! An inverter portable A/C sounds like a real winner.

My biggest issue with mine was noise and electricity consumption, and this unit throws both of those concerns out the window.
I have a portable air conditioner. It is relatively quiet and does a reasonable job. The thing to remember is that the BTU out put is not the same as a regular air conditioner. A regular 8000 BTU air conditioner would have cooled the space I needed but it took 12000 BTU portable to cool the same space. My question is where would you find them in DR and how much would it cost? The 12000 BTU GE I bought cost about $500 U.S

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Mods: You should combine this thread with his other as I think it would help OP. Both on subject of ac needs.

Reactions: JD Jones

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Update. Here is the new plan. I guess I'm getting a split. Today I went to EDEESTE to get a 220 meter which the guy that's going to install said I needed first. They said to return in 5 days when the contract is ready. It wil cost me rd$2500 above the deposit I already placed for the 120 meter. After I return then it should just be a few more days to get the meter installed. So far it's more that I thought. I will also count the cost of the taxi to EDEESTE and back home into the costs so i keep track of all spendings ( I'll post when all is finished).

So this is the plan....so far. After the meter is installed and deposit paid the next thing needed is 3 wire ( +, -, and neutral) installed instead of the 2 I have.

I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: JD Jones

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Update. Here is the new plan. I guess I'm getting a split. Today I went to EDEESTE to get a 220 meter which the guy that's going to install said I needed first. They said to return in 5 days when the contract is ready. It wil cost me rd$2500 above the deposit I already placed for the 120 meter. After I return then it should just be a few more days to get the meter installed. So far it's more that I thought. I will also count the cost of the taxi to EDEESTE and back home into the costs so i keep track of all spendings ( I'll post when all is finished).

So this is the plan....so far. After the meter is installed and deposit paid the next thing needed is 3 wire ( +, -, and neutral) installed instead of the 2 I have.

I'll keep you posted.
It is now 6weeks I have been waiting for a meter..and it's not complicated. JUST a new account.