Anyone moving to DR?

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Re: "Even tourism is going to take a blow","Swake"

Criss Colon said:
Tourism has taken a huge "Blow"! Since 9/11 the North Shore has died!
A further blow, I mean. With petty crime on the rise, violent robbery, the threat of hyperinflation,... the North coast could get the last nail hammered in the coffin.
Perhaps the AI will flourish even more when security becomes (or is made) paramount, and with their staff being paid in pesos profit margins can only widen...
How long before the hookers start billing in $???

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
where the hell does golo (TW) live!

As a frequent traveler to DR I can stay in a hotel apartment with all the services on the beach in Cabarete for less than what he's quoted.
Also the restaurants I've eaten in were quite reasonable (even cheap) and the same goes with the food in the supermercado.

Also I live in SW Florida, and I respectufully do not believe that Mainer can live in Florida more cheaply than the DR. I've traveled there several times and done extensive reasearch. I guess you can spend as much as you want wherever you live.
You can buy a studio apartment in Sosua with guard, electric, ocean view, etc. starting at $24,000 (this is the listing price and I'm sure it could be bought cheaper)
I don't think it fair to compare prices you pay in Santo Domingo to the rest of DR or anywhere else for that matter. There is a big difference in cost of living between Beverly Hills, and Keokuk, Iowa.
I would like input from other people such as Grahame, Robert, Paul Thate, etc. to bring this thing into reality.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
One has to decide how they want to live here. If you want to live as you did in the states or your home country it would indeed be hard.

Please keep TW/Golos perspective in mind. He made 150k in one day off one business deal. I have done Ok for myself in the past, but that was closer to my annual salary than my take on a one day deal.

I know am unemployed for the second time this year. I want to take it easy, cut my expenses drastically and spend time with novia who is Dominican and can't travel to the states until marriage or fiance visa becomes a reality.

I live on the other end of the scale. I pay 4000 pesos per month rent. I don't live in Bella Vista or Naco, in fact live far from the center of the city. I live out by the free zone on san isidro. Not the lap of luxury but not a poor little barrio either.

It is sort of "middle class". The residencia was built by a bank, and many of its employees live here. Many have cars, although not many new or "nice" cars.

I get 2 bedroom, 2 bath, living room, kitchen, dining room and a little balcony. Electric is pretty reliable as is the water. I have DSL as well.

Am I living like I did in NY or Texas? No. Are my expenses the same? no.

I don't have people using my balcony to hang clothes, though they do hang em on their own balconies. My novia hangs ours on the roof, till I buy a dryer;-)

Maybe it is the "newness" of living so differently, and maybe it will wear off. For now, I am happy getting to spend all my time with my novia and her son.

Uh oh, I'm breaking Golo's other rules!
My novia is very good about spending money. She has worked hard her whole life and always tries to save us a few pesos. In fact, when we got this place she put up about $1,000 USD, which was all she had.

Her son is turning into a great kid and we are all getting along great. there are more important things in life than money.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Help me out Golo

Quote from Golo :

"Dominican women require lots of money. At least the good ones. But even if you happen to choose a fat, big ass black Dominican woman from a barrio, by the time you get your first massage you will be out all you have in your wallet."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golo, Your statement reminds me of a of this vegetable vender I once met at a farmers market down here in Virginia. He states that he is not a racist, But he often refered to his South American workers as "straight hair Niggers".

I happen to despise racial labels, but after viewing your picture in the photo gallery and utilzing that farmers rational, wouldn't you fall in the category of "Straight hair Niggers".:cross-eye

Don't get upset I am only asking a question.

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
To Mainer and others;

Please do not make your decision to move to the DR or anywhere else by taking advice off of a message board. I trade stocks and would never buy or sell a stock on the advice of a message board posting. The only way to do anything is to do your due diligence and research.
My personal plan is to buy a piece of property on hill overlooking the ocean, build a small home and mind my own business. I will spend my days fooling around with solar and wind power for hot water and electric, doing a lot of artwork and just generally enjoying life and the view. If you need to live in a cosmopolitan area in the lap of luxury and drive a Jaguar then I'm sure it would be an expensive lifestyle. Please get in touch with bushbaby (Grahame) who posts on this board. He is the best person for advice there that I know of. I know when I move there I'm going to hold onto his hand like a kid with his mom in the supermarket. There are lots of reasonable people there willing to help you. Listen to them closely and follow their advice.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
floridabob said:
I would like input from other people such as Grahame, Robert, Paul Thate, etc. to bring this thing into reality.

Golo is talking primarily about Santo Domingo. Yes it's more expensive here than other places in the DR. Saying that, many services and products are similarly priced all over the DR.

It all comes down to how and were you want to live.
A similar lifestyle to what I had in Miami is more expensive in Santo Domingo.

Bottom line: You need to test the waters and experience it for yourself.
Everybody's expectations and realities are different.

If someone makes a decision to move here based on this message board, then quite frankly their an idiot and in all honesty wouldn't survive 6 months here :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Mainers have certainly done due diligence... And they took the time to make friends who will really go out of their way to make them comfortable and assist in making wise choices.
As for Florida Bob, I think you have a plan. It is certainly doable. Just where you choose to locate is going to be interesting but I can see the area between POP and Sosua, the area around Cabrera, the area around Punta Ruc?a, and Saman? as definate options.

HB

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
FloridaBob,
When I posted, I meant that to buy a house in the DR comparable to the one I am staying in now, with a pool, and to buy the same car, etc. etc. would be more expensive in the DR.

I fully agree that one can live much more cheaply in the DR, just not the same as my sister does in SW Florida. As Robert states, it is just a lifestyle choice.

BTW, we are finding Florida much less expensive than Maine. Who woulda thought it!

We will be down at the end of the month, and we will be sure to keep you all posted as to our progress (if we can get a phone line and get online).

The Florida Mainers

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Working on Golo's comments, it is MUCH cheaper to live on the North Coast than in Santo Domingo. Anyone really interested in finding out the TRUE cost of living here would do well to come for one or two months, live in a reasonable apartment in a reasonable area & get the TRUE feel of the country. It is NOT cheap, especially as prices are going up at approx 10% pa, but it is a LOT cheaper than the UK & has (in MY opinion) many more advantages than just 'living in a warmer climate'. People are friendy, helpful & there is little or no stress. If you are a Stress Councillor, don't bother coming here to live as you won't find any work in your chosen profession!!!
Average monthly outgoing for a family of 4??? Around RD $20 - 25,000. You WILL need a car (from RD $200,000 - pre-used 1992/4 decent condition) & it would be adviseable to get your residencia once you decide to STAY - RD $25,000 - RD $35,000, depending on who you use!!
Get in touch if you want more details - but ONLY on the north coast as I know nothing about cost of living down in the south & at RD $50,000 per month - I don't want to!!- Grahame.

Last edited:

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
I would have to agree with Grahame. Even though the cost of living here isn't too bad, I wouldn't live here on a bet.

We will post what our actual expenses are compared to what we have budgeted for them. It will be interesting to see.....

jrshd9

Oct 31, 2002
Grahame, $1000 US a month, figured the pesos at 25, what items are included in the avg monthly outgo that you have mentioned. thanks

jrs

Mariner, you make a huge statement, I wouldn't live here on a bet, without giving specific reasons why, for someone like me who is thinking of moving you really do a diservice, if you aren't going to back any comment with a why,when or how it's probably better not to make any. This board does have a huge effect on some people's decision making process, I am coming for an extended trip to find out for myself, however all of the comments pro and con was one of the reasons I decided tomake the extended trip. Lots of folks involved with whats going on and everyone to a man and lady seem be willing to help out when needed!

JRS

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
JRS,
my comment was related to an earlier post referring to Florida (where my family is living with my sister for a month). I find that it is WAY to crowded in this area. Houses going up everywhere that I can see. Grade schools bigger than colleges in Maine.

As to the DR, we are moving there at the end of this month. We have paid a deposit on a rental house, and that was what I was referring to when I said that I would post our actual expenses. We have in mind what our budget will be, and I will share what it actually is once we have been there for a couple of months.

So, in other words, I was agreeing with Grahame that the DR offers much more than a good cost of living.

Sorry for misleading you

Mainer

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The other side of the coin

The DR is way cheaper than other places...Consider that $50,000/month is about $2,500 USD a month. That kind of budget in the DR includes very nice housing, car, eating out at expensive restaurants a few times a month, etc. I spend WAY more than that here in Detroit and I do not live in luxury by any means. That's just low middle class here...The other side of the coin is that you can get your car washed and detailed for the equivalent of 4 USD including tips, your shoes shined for a dollar, you can have a maid, gardener, live-in babysitter, etc...all for peanuts...All of these are luxuries that only the super rich can afford here in the US. The main thing is to buy a house and a car. That way you save about half of that $50,000 budget, which you can spend on other things. Houses are also very cheap when compared to here...For instance a $100,000 USD house is a pretty nice house in any neighborhood in the capital and almost a mansion if you live in another smaller town, like in Cotui. You couldn't even find anything here for that price. You'd get twice the house you get here even in the most expensive places in the DR for about the same price...and then there are all the other intangibles (weather, beaches, freedom to do whatever, nightlife, girls, etc)...

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
jrshd9:

She's a Mainer, not a mariner :).

Mainer, I'll be there in April--hope to meet you and others and could bring you anything you might be missing from home (like mud season?) ;)

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
What do you mean by "good picture hangers"?

Sounds reasonably packable.

The good maple syrup comes in recycled jugs. Not very tidy or official looking. Wonder how customs would like that?

And what the heck is Lava soap? (I'm a Dove girl....)

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
MaineGirl..Maybe she's a Maine mariner.

Hillbilly.. I've got my eye on a couple of properties, near Gaspar Hernandez and Las Terrenas, both are approx. 2 acres, and I know there's lots more incase I decide I want to be closer to Puerto Plata.
I figure by the time I purchase property and build a small home (I'm single so I don't need much), I should be able to live fine drawing interest on money from the sale of my condo and other interests here. Since I'm an old country boy I fully intend to have a small patch and grow my own vegestables, fruit, coffee, etc. Probably have a couple chickens and a pig or two. I have no desire to live in a gated community or in the city. If I wanted to do that I would stay here. I guarantee that I can live on way less that $1000 a month, and if I do want to have a maid, gardener, etc. and spend $1000 a month I will be able to afford it.
I also plan to leave $5000 here with my brother deposited in the bank as "seed" money, or to use in case of emergency in case something happens. I think everyone should consider leaving money behind with someone they trust.
Please everyone, have a plan, sit down and write it out if you have to, but above all have a plan. Probably a big priority for everyone in going to the DR is being able to relax and enjoy the lifestyle and people. If you sit down and take away all the unnecessary money you spend here, (car pmts., mortgage, cable tv, buying things to impress your friends, etc.) you might be quite surprised as to how little money it really takes to live on.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not to cast a spell, but, while good health care is available here at reasonable costs, and insurance is certainly available, I would suggest a strong policy for emergency health care in the US with medevac provisions. I have seen the need for this on just one occasion, but it saved the guy's life.
Otherwise, the thinking is great, IMO and certainly doable. Solar and wind power will certainly provide for a one-person house...

HB