Anyone moving to DR?

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
Hillbilly: Great advice, I'll definitely look into a policy that covers that.
3 parts liquid or dish soap mixed with 1 part baking soda or borax makes a great hand cleaner.

Stupid question, is it possible to get a good breed of dog there, such as a labrador. I find them most faithful and very good guard dogs when it comes to protecting property.

GNYC

Oct 8, 2002
Hillbilly, Is the health care policy with medevac provisions you mentioned a policy purchased in the US or DR?

Would it cover doctor and hospital visits in the DR and emergency hospital provisions in the US?

What would be the appx. premium be for one, and would you have the names of any insurance companies that offer it.

Thanks for you assistance.
GNYC

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
floridabob,

Re dogs: Just like in the States, you'll find puppymills and reputable kennels here. So yes, to answer your question, if you do the homework and go to the right kennel, you can most definately get a "good dog breed" here. And Labs, being one of the top selling breeds in the US, are also well represented here.

I suggest you go to a vet as they can steer you to the right kennel for a Lab -- here in Santo Domingo, I can vouch for Dr. Raul Nova (566-2897) Through him, I purchased a beautiful GS of champion lineage -- although I had to leave him behind when I left, I couldn't had asked for a better dog.

Good luck with all the rest!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
floridabob, IMO, you're right on the money! One has to look forward to the lifestyle change - If you continually make comparisons between what you have over there, and what you're gonna get over here, you're losing sight of the larger picture. Don't get me wrong, comparisons are good and necessary but they're only part of the decision picture.

We bought a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy. I don't know if it is a well-known breed over here generally but I know the breed from growing up in Africa. Lovely dog and very, very loyal and very, very fierce - once it grows up that is. At the moment, it hides under the bed if it hears a burro.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Chris,

Maybe you should try siccing it on to a lion - what it was bred for - instead.

Paying for things that run free in the streets by the gazillions is just another of the endless mindbogglers in the DR. Is it safe to assume that your girl was the one to want it (they always want to spend money)?

Actually, if you want a purebred dog, especially a rare breed, then of course it is different.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hey Andy, I am a girl! :eek: Oops, a woman! and 'my girl' did not want it - I wanted it. And my husband had no choice in the matter. He did ask whether I considered the new puppy a guard dog though! And I did not pay very much - as it is not purebred - Looks like a purebred though, which is good enough for me. God knows what it is going to look like when it grows up...

Yeah! I know there are dogs running in the streets for free. They're about as effective as guard dogs as the new puppy is I think.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Chris,

As I said, if one wants a particular breed, then of course he has to pay.

I'm still amazed though at the way that Dominicans, who are always short of money, will pay for mutts with an endless supply of unclaimed ones in the street.

Don't expect your Rhodesian Ridgeback to become a guard dog - it's a sporting dog. One of its ancestor breeds is the great dane - tough, yes, but normally harmless to humans (unless it slurps somebody to death, of course).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless you want a lot of trouble I might suggest go for show rather than training to be viscious. You are liable for anything your dog does. I paid a lot of money when Rufus decided he didn't like motorcycles....
I like Rotties, since they are wonderful with children, and super loyal. Not the brightest bulb on the marquee, however. Remember it is hot and humid here, so Labs suffer in the heat. I do like the exclusive Dominican Viralata breed. They are generally smart-street smart, and loyal. They bark enough to keep people away. We have two, the last of a long line and the World's Ugliest Dog, now in her late teens.....Plus two Rotties, a pedigreed German Shepard and a Dalmation. The Shepard and the Dalmation are the brighest of the larger dogs but the DV and the WUG are the only ones allowed out on their own....And the Dalation bitch is extremely loyal, smart as a whip and highly territorial, by far our most watchful dog. She barks and the other five come running to see what's up..She also nips which is good is you want protection.

Re: Insurance: You can tailor your policy to fit your needs. The ones sold here have emergency evac clauses, because I asked.
You can email Eddy Martinez at angloamericana@codetel.net.do and find out yourself...And there are lots more to chose from. He's just a golfer I have known for a few years.

3::1 = good hand cleaner. How did you know I needed good hand cleaner? Thanks

HB

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Sorry to butt into this thread with what may be a stupid question, but here goes anyway. If you have dogs in the DR, does the climate support fleas? And if so, how big of a problem are they? I know if my dog were to get them here and brings them into the house, it can be difficult to get rid of them.

Tondra

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ticks and fleas are major problems, as are rabid rodents like mongeese. Shots are most important, just like in the states.
Remember, in Latin America, generally speaking, dogs are secondary garbage disposals, not lap dogs like the States or UK.
Sure, there are Kennel Clubs. Sure there are proud and kind owners, but on the whole dogs are for kicking or for getting rid of garbage or just a nuisance...

HB

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
Hillbilly,
I thought in an earlier post you wanted someone to bring some lava soap. Hence the recipe for hand cleaner.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Dogs are always useful for protection whether they are mean or not.I have two one is a typical mixed breed who does not like strangers and will bite if they come too close,the second is a big lovable retard purebread boxer who wouldnt hurt a flea.Guess who inspires the most fear in Dominicans.Right the boxer due to his size.I have found that most Dominicans fear big dogs and will go out of their way to avoid them.
Johnny:cool:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Actually, a cocker spaniel may be one of the best guard dogs - perhaps paired with a Rottweiler to get respect.

If a cocker goes to the door and starts barking, you can be sure that someone is on the other side. The tone of the bark will tell you whether it is friend or unknown.

Similarly, if a cocker barks in the middle of the night, there is surely something that needs to be investigated. Don't forget to take the Rottweiler or Smith and Wesson.

Amicus

Dec 25, 2002
http://www.homefair.com/homefair/se...?pid=244&cid=homefair&pagename=199&internal=T

Anyone moving anywhere might use the International Salary Calculator at the above URL.

However, be careful, as this calculator will tell you how much salary you must earn in the country of destination with respect to your country of origin. So, it is based upon a "market basket" of goods and services that are similar between the two countries.

If, for instance, you were moving from Baltimore(MD) to Santiago (FR), the calculator tells you that you would need about 3% more in salary for the same goods/services in Santiago. However, if you move to Santiago, you may not be living as you did in Baltimore - as you will be spending more on some things and less on others since you will likely be persuing a different life style.

As others on this board have suggested, it is best to go and test the waters personally before committing to a move.

Last edited:

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
Actually geese are the best "watchdogs" I've every seen. They make a big racket and will bite at anything that doesn't belong in their territory. I think there's even a scotch distillery in the UK that uses them for guard dogs.
I'm sure they wouldn't last long if I got hungry though.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
The problem with geese is all the false positives. Plus, they're sequestered when needed the most (night). Walking around where they've been isn't much fun either.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are into birds, guinea hens are by far the best "watch birds"....they make a racket whenever disturbed, which can be good and bad, especially at 3:00 a.m.

I like Cockers, too. They are yappy but very territorial, like the Dalmatian....Our bitch takes a long time to get to know someone and barked a me when I came as Santa Clause last month!! Fooled her!

Floridabob: Does borax have the grit that Lava does. "Nuttin' gets dese hands clean like Lava" Might be worth the try...

HB

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
Hbilly,
I forgot about Guineas. We had some when I was a kid and they always made racket.
Borax isn't as gritty but gets the hands clean. Believe it or not I've found using dish soap with salt or even sugar has almost the same effect as borax. Of course you could always go out in the yard and dig up some of the coral rock and pulverize it into pumice.

Claudia

Jan 8, 2002
I came back to the Dominican Republic almost five years ago from the U.S. Life in the DR is getting just too expensive and the living level is going down quickly. Will go back to the U.S. as soon as my husband finds a job there. Makes me sad but it is the reality.

Cfresh4

Feb 18, 2004
Are there any D.R Bank that allows USA dollars deposited/& withdrawn

I need to locate a bank in the DR that allows me to open an account to deposit my benifits in USA dollars and will not convert the money in the account into pesos. USA dollars only unless I decide to withdraw money and buy pesos. Does anyone know of a bank? Let me know. Thank you.