Anyone moving to DR?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Cfresh4 said:
I need to locate a bank in the DR that allows me to open an account to deposit my benifits in USA dollars and will not convert the money in the account into pesos. USA dollars only unless I decide to withdraw money and buy pesos. Does anyone know of a bank? Let me know. Thank you.

Please use the search function of this message board. Hundreds of posts on this subject. Start with a search on "BPD"...

ghe

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 21, 2004
I remember...

I remember one time, I asked my friend (a dominican) to accompany me in La Sirena in Capital to buy some personal stuff. We decided to meet at one place after we pick up our things.(I thought she's goin to shop too). And when we met at the cashier to pay, and put my things in the conveyor, she placed her things also, and she told me Ill wait for you outside. I'm left wondering and shock. I thought she's goin to pay me afterwards and when we got home, she picked up all her stuff(I paid) and said, "thank you for all of these" and went away...she got a lot of stuff more than I mine. :cry:

tourjoy

Mar 13, 2004
GHE doing anything this saturday? I need some clothes.

Ghe
Are you free to join me shopping this Saturday? I need some clothes, stereo equipment, and some furniture.
I can meet you at the checkout counter after I pick out what I need.
Boy, now I see why people say living costs in the DR are low.

ghe said:
I remember one time, I asked my friend (a dominican) to accompany me in La Sirena in Capital to buy some personal stuff. We decided to meet at one place after we pick up our things.(I thought she's goin to shop too). And when we met at the cashier to pay, and put my things in the conveyor, she placed her things also, and she told me Ill wait for you outside. I'm left wondering and shock. I thought she's goin to pay me afterwards and when we got home, she picked up all her stuff(I paid) and said, "thank you for all of these" and went away...she got a lot of stuff more than I mine. :cry:
Poor little thing. :(

nhlc

Mar 19, 2004
Help Golo:

Bring lots of cash, otherwise join the Salvation Army:
How much is lots of cash? I am planning for the early phase of retirement in the DR and you are scaring the hell out of me. I intend to live off interest from accumulated income. I am single, is RD50000/month sufficient? I was told that interest on American D is 10% a year, is this true?

2)Your basic new Honda Civic will cost you over US$22,000 and up here. Your basic Jaguar over US$70,000.
I have two cars now, a landrover discovery and yes, a Jaguar convertible, golden oldie 1989 mint. Can I bring them in, or do you suggest not...

4)Electricity: DR electric bills are considered among the highest in the world, except you pay for blackouts in addition.
I lived in Singapore for two years and thought electricity is likely the highest in the world... I am now living in Dubai, utitility is covered by contract. How high is your monthly utility bills?

Any nice apartment in a better neighborhood would easily go over US70,000. Houses cost 3 or 4 times as much but are a security nightmare. You must invest in high concrete fencing and or window and door iron bars for protection.
I wanted to buy a house in Santo Domingo. If safety is the issue, then an apartment it will be. Which district do you recommend? How much does a nice 3 bedroom apartment cost?

If you scare me anymore, I will be moving to Thailand instead. Thanking you in advance.

nhlc

nhlc

Mar 19, 2004
Living in DR

Dear Golo:

nhlc said:
Bring lots of cash, otherwise join the Salvation Army:
How much is lots of cash? I am planning for the early phase of retirement in the DR and you are scaring the hell out of me. I intend to live off interest from accumulated income. I am single, is RD50000/month sufficient? I was told that interest on American D is 10% a year, is this true?

2)Your basic new Honda Civic will cost you over US$22,000 and up here. Your basic Jaguar over US$70,000.
I have two cars now, a landrover discovery and yes, a Jaguar convertible, golden oldie 1989 mint. Can I bring them in, or do you suggest not...

4)Electricity: DR electric bills are considered among the highest in the world, except you pay for blackouts in addition.
I lived in Singapore for two years and thought electricity is likely the highest in the world... I am now living in Dubai, utitility is covered by contract. How high is your monthly utility bills?

Any nice apartment in a better neighborhood would easily go over US70,000. Houses cost 3 or 4 times as much but are a security nightmare. You must invest in high concrete fencing and or window and door iron bars for protection.
I wanted to buy a house in Santo Domingo. If safety is the issue, then an apartment it will be. Which district do you recommend? How much does a nice 3 bedroom apartment cost?

If you scare me anymore, I will be moving to Thailand instead. Thanking you in advance for the candid advice.

nhlc

angela-in-nj

May 1, 2005
Golo100 said:
Just so that you think twice before you take a boat here, here are the latest on the Dominican front. DR is still a paradise for tourism, but living here is another story. Bring lots of cash, otherwise join the Salvation Army:

1)Rent in a decent neighborhood and apartment or house is over US$1000 dollars, and I mean dollars. Most places do not welcome pesos anymore. Anything below that and you have to ignore people dry-hanging their clothes in your own balcony and screaming maids having sex with guards and a colmadon playing bachata all night long with 5000 watts music systems. Also sell your jewerly.

2)Your basic new Honda Civic will cost you over US$22,000 and up here. Your basic Jaguar over US$70,000. License plates are US$60, insurance as expensive as New York, original auto parts cost twice as much and the hourly rate at your dealers repair shop is over US$40. Gasoline is at an all-time high US$2.25 and is low octane. A car is as costly as a home and has more expenses.
Accidents are almost unavoidable if you drive on a daily basis. Parking is almost non-existent where you want to go. 99% of apartments have no guest parking. If you drive any day and avoid at least 1 pot hole, play the Lotto 6. Your chances for the day are good.

3)Phone bills just went up again and will keep rising until only the very rich can call. The most expensive communications in the world. You are even charged for calls made to countries you have never heard of. Phone cards are a rip-off. Cellular bills are as bad as your credit card bill. If you get a bill for under US$50 without long distance consider yourself lucky. If you have internet start selling diamonds.

4)Electricity: DR electric bills are considered among the highest in the world, except you pay for blackouts in addition. Our electric meters are worse than machine slots in Las Vegas. They have a roulette for a measuring device. Some people with just basic electric appliances pay as much as their rent or mortgage for electricity.

5)Food: Since you are not expected to eat platanos, yuca, yautia and salami, most imports are as expensive as in the U.S. 8oz. Dannon Yougurt is US$1.25. A 20oz plastic bpttle of Coke is US0.60 cents.

6)Restaurants:Fine restaurants are very expensive since they charge you 22% up front for taxes and you are still expected to tip. Restaurant decor and ambiance exceeds food quality. In addition you have to pay for your car security and deal with buscones and beggars.

7)Clothing is cheaper here. Yet fine clothes are just as expensive as in US. 12% sales tax added. Counterfeit clothing is everywhere, except U.S. name branches. Laundering is expensive for people earning in pesos.

8)Shopping for an apartment in Santo Domingo? Even in ghetto areas like Alma Rosa, Carretera Mella, Charles de Gaulle new apartments are going for over US$45,000. And these are cheaply constructed with cheap pine doors and useless door locks and handles. The floors are cheap granite or ceramic which crack easily. Kitchens have no appliances included and most have no water heaters. Parking is ususally outdoors and unsafe. Any nice apartment in a better neighborhood would easily go over US70,000. Houses cost 3 or 4 times as much but are a security nightmare. You must invest in high concrete fencing and or window and door iron bars for protection. No house or apartment is provided with this protection and a house without it is as bad as sleeping in the middle of a Harlem sidewalk. Air conditioning will eat up a good part of you salary in electric bills, installation and maintenance.

9)Schooling: Must go to private schools. Public schools are for educating thieves and tigueres. Private schools are expensive and they have a nasty habit of changing books and uniforms every year. Add to it trips and many other gimmicks they use to raise money. Education is below average in most schools. English schools are even more expensive. Some are in the $US20,000 range.

10)Water must pe bought even for showering. Dominican water meters move with wind!! Bottled water is a must for drinking. Water bills keep going up. In most places there is no water pressure, so you must use pumps to bring it up.

Still want to move???? P.S. Salaries are very low and in pesos and you are expected to be a slave.

TW

Wow!!! Everytime i visit the DR i hear my middle class relatives crying about the cost of living there and i just thought they were whiners, my poor hard working relatives i guess don't whine as much because they live a simple life and don't expect things to change much. I had a vague idea of groceries being as expensive as in NY but all those utilities are just out of control. Yeah i think that paying for electricity is a joke, last time i was there as soon as it started getting dark the lights would go out.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Call me late for dinner, but...

This was an old post, started over 2 years ago...
01-06-2003, 10:54 AM

I'm going to take a nap, now.

Thanks
Tim H.:smoke:

franberu

Apr 5, 2002
I like your attitude!

Why do you live in DR if you don't accept it like it is. Why always complain and never do like dominicans do if you have choses to live there! I am canadian and I have chosen DR as my adoption country. I am doing my life with a dominican woman and her two adolescents (17-20).

It's for sure that I don't like everything that is going on here but since it is my choice, I am doing with it. Why make a general rule about poeple (man or woman) and say they are like this or like that! In any country there are good poeple, bad poeple and a lot in between. Your relation with a person determine his attitude and even if their culture is very diferent from ours, if both side are of good faith, they can learn from each other for the best of the two.

Don't tell me that in other countries there are no criminals and no criminality are most of the time these countries are rich...what do you expect in a poor country? At least, with your dollars you can obtain much more than the dominican who earns pesos!!! (average 6000 per month).

So live happily in DR or leave the teritory!

Have a good day and think about it!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Are "FRENCH" Canadian,THAT Is Your Problem!!!

"The French" can accept ANYTHING.They just want to make love and drink wine.I mean the French let the Germans come in and take over their Country whenever the Germans decide go for a "walk"! Sometimes it is "OK" to complain!! The first step to solving a problem is to recognize that you have one! Then you complain,which is akin to "Brainstorming"! If the Americans and the Brits had not "Complained" about the German's occupation of France,you would now be posting in "Bad English" with a German slant,not French!
By the way,you should be dating your "Novia's" children,not some old woman like her!!!

Note: I am on a "Diet" so I am "mad" at the entire World!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DesiArnez6

Aug 9, 2005
Well, everything depends on lifestyle and location, I am from La Vega, i will be moving back this month, last year when I was there here is how things were. I rented a 2 bedroom for $1200 pesos per month, which eventually went up to $1400 plus $50 a month for water bill regardless of use, electricity was free. granted it was kind of poor living standars, in the next town, an incredible 2 BR with hot/cold water for free, free cooking gas, security like NY with intercom button, beautiful ful, tile floors, beautiful doors, glass windows, $2,800 pesos per month, why? because La Vega is very cheap, many people dont like to commute from the next province to work/study in Santiago, public schools in the countryside are not the bad and are very safe, universities are excellent, much better quality than most state universities in the US, and much more cost effective, my math book for the full year was only about $100 pesos, (during this time remember i was changeing 1 dollar for $56 pesos) pricing i'm sure is different now, but not by much., You really dont need a car I'f you are willing to par $15-$20 pesos each way but if you live in the part of La Vega near the Santiago border, Hipolita brought in OMSA aervice so you only need to pay $5 pesos, (at night university OMSA (public bus system) goes all the way to La Vega City, any where along route for $3 pesos. If you are close to santaigo, (North La Vega) where the OMSA is, they have airconditioned buses too much better than NYC public bus, with cushion roomy, radio, and yes Air Condition!! for only $10 pesos! much better than payin $3.50dollars a gallon of gas or $2.75 dollars gallon diesel. If you eat dominican food you will save alot of money, but american food is almost the same price or only a little bit cheaper, but it depends on the supermaket, not just supermarkets in rich areas "supermercado nacional" sell american food, I recomment if in Santiago got to Supermercado La Fuente near UTESA University, OK neighborhood, and really cheap, o goto the Super Pola/ La Sirena, like Walmart ;) If you want to travel long distance use Caribe Tours to Beach Santiago-Sosua $90 pesos (used to be $60 pesos) or to the Capital, Transporte Vegano, from La Vega-Santo Domingo (i dont remember price),

(Oh and I did laugh at above first post and quote from above) Carreterra Mella i have family that lives there and that neighborhood isn't ghetto, it middle class (touridst ghetto), if you really want to see ghetto/warzone where police are afraid, try the part of capital, called Guachupita, orCienago i think is called?, or there are a few out there that are true legendary dominican ghettos, tho that is based on what my family says, I have never dared to venture into those parts... and i grew up poor, at one point living in a tin shack with dirt floors next to a water tank, with holes in the roof, and frequent flooding getting everything on the floor drenched., so take my advice with context i am not very picky, but having lived the majority of life in America, and also having lived in a three story house in New england suberbs with stays at the plaza, i do know what nice living is ;), All and all I think DR is a good bargain no matter m=what your lifestyle, long as you find out from the locals where the bargains are, countryside can be dangeroud with bandits at night, but if you know all your neighbors that is security enough, just dont brag about finances or show off, act middle class, get to know everyone personally, and you will be fine, but keep a machete just in case, or gun if you prefer, or firecrackers to set off if thieves try to rob, or keep cell phone #'s of neighbors in case for backup, it is only really bad crime wise in December near cristmas, rest of time is generally safe tho living alone is tougher. You willsave alot , but there are much more american style fully secure apartment buildings gated for 2,800 pesos if need be like i said above, if you would rather have that "city like" comfort, with out having to worry about poweroutages ;), just my 2cents ;)

jalene0214

Apr 9, 2005
hi i was interested if u knew of places in santo domingo that might be good to check out
thanks for any info

DesiArnez6 said:
Well, everything depends on lifestyle and location, I am from La Vega, i will be moving back this month, last year when I was there here is how things were. I rented a 2 bedroom for $1200 pesos per month, which eventually went up to $1400 plus $50 a month for water bill regardless of use, electricity was free. granted it was kind of poor living standars, in the next town, an incredible 2 BR with hot/cold water for free, free cooking gas, security like NY with intercom button, beautiful ful, tile floors, beautiful doors, glass windows, $2,800 pesos per month, why? because La Vega is very cheap, many people dont like to commute from the next province to work/study in Santiago, public schools in the countryside are not the bad and are very safe, universities are excellent, much better quality than most state universities in the US, and much more cost effective, my math book for the full year was only about $100 pesos, (during this time remember i was changeing 1 dollar for $56 pesos) pricing i'm sure is different now, but not by much., You really dont need a car I'f you are willing to par $15-$20 pesos each way but if you live in the part of La Vega near the Santiago border, Hipolita brought in OMSA aervice so you only need to pay $5 pesos, (at night university OMSA (public bus system) goes all the way to La Vega City, any where along route for $3 pesos. If you are close to santaigo, (North La Vega) where the OMSA is, they have airconditioned buses too much better than NYC public bus, with cushion roomy, radio, and yes Air Condition!! for only $10 pesos! much better than payin $3.50dollars a gallon of gas or $2.75 dollars gallon diesel. If you eat dominican food you will save alot of money, but american food is almost the same price or only a little bit cheaper, but it depends on the supermaket, not just supermarkets in rich areas "supermercado nacional" sell american food, I recomment if in Santiago got to Supermercado La Fuente near UTESA University, OK neighborhood, and really cheap, o goto the Super Pola/ La Sirena, like Walmart ;) If you want to travel long distance use Caribe Tours to Beach Santiago-Sosua $90 pesos (used to be $60 pesos) or to the Capital, Transporte Vegano, from La Vega-Santo Domingo (i dont remember price),

(Oh and I did laugh at above first post and quote from above) Carreterra Mella i have family that lives there and that neighborhood isn't ghetto, it middle class (touridst ghetto), if you really want to see ghetto/warzone where police are afraid, try the part of capital, called Guachupita, orCienago i think is called?, or there are a few out there that are true legendary dominican ghettos, tho that is based on what my family says, I have never dared to venture into those parts... and i grew up poor, at one point living in a tin shack with dirt floors next to a water tank, with holes in the roof, and frequent flooding getting everything on the floor drenched., so take my advice with context i am not very picky, but having lived the majority of life in America, and also having lived in a three story house in New england suberbs with stays at the plaza, i do know what nice living is ;), All and all I think DR is a good bargain no matter m=what your lifestyle, long as you find out from the locals where the bargains are, countryside can be dangeroud with bandits at night, but if you know all your neighbors that is security enough, just dont brag about finances or show off, act middle class, get to know everyone personally, and you will be fine, but keep a machete just in case, or gun if you prefer, or firecrackers to set off if thieves try to rob, or keep cell phone #'s of neighbors in case for backup, it is only really bad crime wise in December near cristmas, rest of time is generally safe tho living alone is tougher. You willsave alot , but there are much more american style fully secure apartment buildings gated for 2,800 pesos if need be like i said above, if you would rather have that "city like" comfort, with out having to worry about poweroutages ;), just my 2cents ;)

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Timex
Call me late for dinner, but...

This was an old post, started over 2.8 years ago...
01-06-2003, 10:54 AM

I'm going to take a nap, now.

You had to troll deep to catch this one.

I do have one question,

DesiArnez6
Well, everything depends on lifestyle and location,......

At which post in the last 2.8 years is that response directed to?

I think your info, would have made a great OP, instead of a tag-line for old news.

Thanks
Tim H.:smoke:

DesiArnez6

Aug 9, 2005
;)

Thx, well if i had to pick a post i guess it would be a response to #67 maybe, but it applies to many others as well i guess, as well as the first post :)

As for places in Santo Domingo, i dont know my way very well the neighborhoods, i am mostly cibao ;)

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
DesiArnez6 said:

Arnez it seems like you are still thinking like a poor man...say Brazil, Panama, or France..but please don't compare U.S. universities to D.R.'s this is backwards thinking.. visit at least 20 states before you make that claim..also umsa is no where near as important as the NYC port Authority..they don't allow chickens and goats on the bus such as what I experienced there in the past....

And as far as... it depends on what you call proper living, not all that is cheap is eye catching...over there you get what you pay for, if you purchased cheap, chances are... you have been shafted!! Look Arnez third world countries will always benefit from the hard work and innovative thinkers of countries who make education there priority...so don't make comparisions with the U.S., because it's the U.S., that gives Dominican's in the island a sense of living in modern conditions today, and in the future..people here continue to forget that in this forum all the time...if your living well over there good, but keep things in it's proper perpective...oh! Golo and Chris Colon are as honest about the D.R. today as anyone I have ever heard here!..I feel your fustratration, thanks for keep in it real fella's.

Alex101

Jun 6, 2005
a little pessimistic

I cant argue with much of what the original post said but it is a bit exagerated. Getting the most for your money in the DR is a balancing act that takes time to learn and is very difficult if you dont know at least a few seasoned "extranjeros" that can guide you at first. I has taken me some time but I can say that I have, after a almost a year living here, figured a good bit of the tricks out and am not spending nearly as much as I used to. Best example: I live in a 2 bedroom apartment in juan dolio with an ocean view that runs 400 a month and my power bill is "only" 2000 pesos with the A/C blasting which I think is pretty darn good. Bottom line, you have to shop around and for gods sake don't let yourself become just another victimized extranjero.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
daddy1 said:
Arnez it seems like you are still thinking like a poor man...say Brazil, Panama, or France..but please don't compare U.S. universities to D.R.'s this is backwards thinking.. visit at least 20 states before you make that claim..also umsa is no where near as important as the NYC port Authority..they don't allow chickens and goats on the bus such as what I experienced there in the past....

And as far as... it depends on what you call proper living, not all that is cheap is eye catching...over there you get what you pay for, if you purchased cheap, chances are... you have been shafted!! Look Arnez third world countries will always benefit from the hard work and innovative thinkers of countries who make education there priority...so don't make comparisions with the U.S., because it's the U.S., that gives Dominican's in the island a sense of living in modern conditions today, and in the future..people here continue to forget that in this forum all the time...if your living well over there good, but keep things in it's proper perpective...oh! Golo and Chris Colon are as honest about the D.R. today as anyone I have ever heard here!..I feel your fustratration, thanks for keep in it real fella's.
Daddy,
It looks like you are the only person frustrated here.

He mentioned a couple of the best universities in DR better than most univesities in the US.....I think that is his own opinion and you can't put him down because he speaks it. How do you know for sure that he hasn't visit most of the universities that he is comparing them to? I don't think he even mentioned any US universities by name for you to jump on his wagon.

The guy is eagerly and excited describing mode of transportation and routes but you want to put him down by insulting his country's transportation by linking it to goats, chickens and sheeps?

I think that you should really rethink who is frustrated here between you or him.....If you ask me; I would tell you that he sounds excited to me.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
DesiArnez6 said:
universities are excellent, much better quality than most state universities in the US, and much more cost effective,
Are you for real???? I don't think any of the universities in the DR can hold a candle to a UVa, Univ of Mich., UNC-CH, Ohio State, the Univ of Ca system, U Wisc-Madison, UT-Austin, or even NC State, Va Tech, Georgia Tech, Penn St., Pittsburgh, IU, WVU, UMd, Univ S Carolina and some of the SUNY schools.... All state schools in the US. DR univerisities cheaper? Yeah, especially UASD -- when it's in session and not on strike. But "much better quality than most state universities in the US"? No way. And I think HB, a profe at arguably the best quality university in the DR, would agree with me on this one.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Criss Colon said:
"The French" can accept ANYTHING.They just want to make love and drink wine.I mean the French let the Germans come in and take over their Country whenever the Germans decide go for a "walk"! Sometimes it is "OK" to complain!! The first step to solving a problem is to recognize that you have one! Then you complain,which is akin to "Brainstorming"! If the Americans and the Brits had not "Complained" about the German's occupation of France,you would now be posting in "Bad English" with a German slant,not French!
By the way,you should be dating your "Novia's" children,not some old woman like her!!!

Note: I am on a "Diet" so I am "mad" at the entire World!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You must be out of your mind if you think that by whining you are going make a difference at all.

Just leave your Haitianita there and go back to the states.
you don't need all the headaches.....You are gonna die young.

DesiArnez6

Aug 9, 2005
didnt mean to frustrate anyone

;) my mpost was mostly in informational context, and personal opinion/experience. Transport in the Port Authority is good as well as MTA in New York, and while the OMSA (public bus in DR) is generally not in good condition, (no a/c) cheap plastic seats, the new buses they purchaed are far better than any bus i have seen, maybe someone else has ridden them, with the bright yellow cushioned seats, I would say they are just as good as the new Triboro buses in Queens on the Q33/Q53 and a few others (are thos the Orions?, i have forgotten the model),

For universities, the US does have many prestigious, for the most part i was comparing the UASD, UTESA, PUCMM, and UNIBE, etc, (private except UASD) to public and community colleges/universities on average in the US. not the most prestigious of universities in the states. But because these universities in the DR may be cheaper/ or not have as much money, or as nice a campus, from my personal experience in the states and the DR, the quality of the actual education received in the DR is not to be thrown out, the professors are of high quality, most with much passion, and the curriculum is very, very, very courseload heavy, with much more time devoted per class, and much more required courses. Many americans and europeans enroll in our universities in the DR, especially medical students to save money. I personally will pay in pesos, study in DR except 2 summers in the US at SUNY, and end up with a bacehlors from DR and a full Associates from SUNY, unless i decide to study another semester in which i will receive a full bachelors from RIT Rochester Institute Technology. There are many similar exchange programs offered due to transfereable credits, so i will have saved money and have my US diploma, the quality of education cant be that bad if this is allowed to happen :p I am sure many schools i have not seen may differ, I lived in 4 states in the US. I was trying to show how good DR university education is that it is prettyt much on the level a first world country the US, NOT trying to insult saying that the US was somehow third world. My apologies for any confusion ;)