anyone noticed how boring its got in here

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

naturelover

i think its about feeling comfortable in a group of people with similarities not neccessarilly about sex.....some people have stipulated that they would like to meet other americans coz they have things in common...thats all it is

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I have heard/seen similar statements several times on DR1 and I have a problem with it.
Everytime someone mentions wanting to meet gay people and they say it's not about sex, then what the heck is it about?

I sorta agree with you rocky on this one. In the past when i was traveling solo i posted that i would like to meet "gay friendly" people. AND i met some great straight people on my travels by posting here. I just didnt want to have to hide my orientation while on vacation (nor do i need to flaunt it). I just wanted people to hang out with that i would feel comfortable with....and them with me. It IS fun meeting other gay travelers tho. Just to sit back and comment about the scene on the beach, or to go to a club in the city with.

Funny tho...when people come on asking about "guest fiendly" hotels... and no one has a problem with that! C'mon...we all know what that phrase means 95% of the time.

Well..not trying to stir up the pot here. Just offering my humble opinion.

live and let live

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i think its about feeling comfortable in a group of people with similarities not neccessarilly about sex.....some people have stipulated that they would like to meet other americans coz they have things in common...thats all it is
And you make my point perfectly.
When an American mentions wanting to meet American people, he/she is seeking a cultural similarity.
When a gay person asks to meet gay people, he is seeking a sexual similarity.
I don't care who anyone wants to meet, but I do care about being BS'ed.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So the thread has become from bored on DR1 to a gay orgy fest. Nice twist. :)
AZB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
" a little bit more openness"

What do you have in mind? It has already been agreeded upon that one is seeking like and similar people(gays), that it might be for sex, and a gay poster might be looking for a gay bar or hotels/restaurants that cater to gays in the DR.
So--have you asked these questions in the past? Were they answered or deleted? Give us examples or what your gripe is really about.

john

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
Every one of us has places that common sense and survival have taught us to avoid. We read about those on this very forum....from helpful folks who know their way around better than we do.

Though jrzyguy's question is different, I believe the intent is the same- where can he be comfortable, knowing he is accepted?

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm willing to admit the possibility. Maybe it is all about sexual implications.

But look again at this forum- lots of questions about where one can 'hook up" with a chica, or "guest friendly" motels. We do tend not to judge them. And it's doubtful that those posters are going to be placed in peril based on the characteristics of the partner they choose.

So, I think that he asks a fair question.

Sep 19, 2005
well there are a few subjects going on in this thread now. One being things that are percieved by soem to be taboo to talk about and another is that some people seem to be able to shut down a thread when they want.

first off the bickering will shut down a thread faster than almost anything else.

strong opinions are not changed but that doesnt seem to stop people from trying to changes the other posters mind on how to look at a subject...so it spirals into a death sentence for the thread.

so many people have their pet peaves and they dont seem to get ENOUGH "respect" for the lack of a better word...for their pet peaves.

On the gay issue..that is a very personal subject...like many other things that ellicit strong opinions. Because its acceptance has gained ground so many places , doesnt mean that it is being accepted all places....thus it becomes a taboo subject to keep the peace. Like some other subjects one being religion.

On the subject of who gets what shut down.....maybe it is the same people bickering so profusely that is the common denominator is getting a thread shut down.... and not really its subject matter.

take care

bad bob

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
The gay scene here in the Dr is very low key. Christopher Street might be a better investment of your time.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
All right, just to be fair and open minded, i think some of you guys here should experiment with gay lifestyle only to really undertand this phenomenon in detail. Hey, what the heck, its in the name of education, isn't it.
if you need some geribels, i can offer some mice as some have entered my home ever since a gay guy moved in in the back of my house.
AZB

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Forgive me - but what does any of this discussion on gays and their lifestyle have to do with the original topic?

Nothing like trying to kill a thread guys!

Marlie

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
All right, just to be fair and open minded, i think some of you guys here should experiment with gay lifestyle only to really undertand this phenomenon in detail. Hey, what the heck, its in the name of education, isn't it.
if you need some geribels, i can offer some mice as some have entered my home ever since a gay guy moved in in the back of my house.
AZB

There we go, here is a perfect example of why threads get closed, sorry to be picking on you but I need the example. Someone asks a simple question and it erupts with everyone's opinion on the subject instead of answering the question asked. The mod has already deleted one of your posts in this thread so now this post will invite others to go off into a rant and if the mod has asked once or twice to to stay on a certain subject and has deleted many posts only to return after going to the bathroom or having lunch ( we're allowed to do that ;) ) to find 25 posts of rants then it's easier to close a thread than dealing with a group of adults acting like kids.

I know that's not the topic here but a good time to step in and explain why threads get closed when people insist on doing this. Yes it's boring but it's very frustrating for the person that wanted some simple answers and not a debate. We have a debate forum for those that wish to debate.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Aye, aye, aye...

Forgive me - but what does any of this discussion on gays and their lifestyle have to do with the original topic?

Nothing like trying to kill a thread guys!

Marlie
I don't know how I could get so misunderstood.
Perhaps I don't speak well enough.
It's not about gay, gayness, sexual habits, or anything like that.
It's about honesty.
It's about not being a hypocrite.
If one wants to talk about sex things that are within the DR1 guidelines, so be it.
My comments have absolutely nothing to do with that.
I just don't like being BS'ed.

John Doe says,
Where could I find a nice art museum?
Don't get me wrong.. It's not that I like art.
It's not that I want to see art.
I just like museums.
Normal person answers,
Then ask about museums.
Why not just ask for museums?

Get my point?

PS to Marlie: It has nothing to do with the OP.
It just went that way by itself.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I don't know how I could get so misunderstood.
Perhaps I don't speak well enough.
It's not about gay, gayness, sexual habits, or anything like that.
It's about honesty.
It's about not being a hypocrite.
If one wants to talk about sex things that are within the DR1 guidelines, so be it.
My comments have absolutely nothing to do with that.
I just don't like being BS'ed.

John Doe says,

Normal person answers,

Get my point?

PS to Marlie: It has nothing to do with the OP.
It just went that way by itself.

Rocky - I understand exactly where you are coming from! You have valid points, do not get me wrong.

I also did not say that it had anything to do with the OP - in fact - I was trying to help him out by reminding people that this wasn't the topic he introduced.

It was some of the other assanine posts that were made, that were totally off topic that brought this to my attention.

Like Anna said, this is the perfect example of why threads get deleted - which was part of the original topic BTW. It does get boring around here somedays but it is usually when something is posted that is open to discussion and then people start using their own agenda to hijack the thread, and the topic becomes uninteresting to those who originally chose to participate!

Get my point? ;)

Marlie

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is beginning to remind me of a conversation in a bar ... late, when most everyone has had too much! and no-one knows anymore what the other one is saying .. and best of all, no-one cares and everyone ends up talking to themselves .. and not even noticing it :laugh::laugh:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
someone speaking from experience (or lack of intelligence)

i knew i didn't have to mention any names..they would show themselves :ermm:
just throw some bait out and the fish come biting :laugh:
experience no..i live in the USA...
lack of intelligence...don't think you're qualified to make that assessment...

meanwhile, back at the batcave....

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
this wasn't the topic he introduced.
Marlie
True enough, but even if he didn't ask for it, we gave him the cure.
No more boredom, as this thread has sprung a life of it's own.
I figure any topic is valid, as long as it relieves the OP's boredom.

The things we do to keep our friends entertained.....;)

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
I have heard/seen similar statements several times on DR1 and I have a problem with it.
Everytime someone mentions wanting to meet gay people and they say it's not about sex, then what the heck is it about?
If I say I want to meet heterosexuals, what is that, if not about sex?
If a woman says she wants to meet lesbians. again, isn't that about sex?
If you're looking for transsexuals, is that not about sex?
If a person says he wants to meet tall people, it's not about sex.
Decent people, it's not about sex.
Happy people, again, not about sex, but when you qualify it with a sexual preference, how the hell can you or anyone deny that it's about sex.
That's pure BS to me.
Sorry if I seem harsh, but it's been bothering me for a long time.
Not that anyone wants to talk about sex or meet their sexual peers, but for bull****ting.
For being hypocrites.
Say what you mean, mean what you say and don't insult my or anyone's intelligence with lies.
If it there were no sexual implication, then why mention it?

This is well said- I think it is mask more or less for gay hook ups, and continued solicitations about "gay friendly" resorts/bars/people/ etc really is just a furthering of a pro-gay lifestyle that many people are not comfortable with. This person clearly has an agenda.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This is well said- I think it is mask more or less for gay hook ups, and continued solicitations about "gay friendly" resorts/bars/people/ etc really is just a furthering of a pro-gay lifestyle that many people are not comfortable with. This person clearly has an agenda.
I'm sensing that I opened a bad can of worms.
It was not my intention, at least not with regards to 'gayness".
It could have been any other topic.
My gripe is about honesty and being forthright.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm sensing that I opened a bad can of worms.
It was not my intention, at least not with regards to 'gayness".
It could have been any other topic.
My gripe is about honesty and being forthright.

Yes you did so here's my two cents.

When people come here and ask " where can I meet girls" or "where do I find a guest friendly hotel" we don't ask them to post what their intentions are ( well some people do) so why should this be any different for gays?

When heterosexuals all meet do they all have sex together? I hope not.

There are many talented artists among gay people and just because they want to be in their own environment and discuss whatever it is they want to discuss should not give us the right assume they all are going to have sex. Believe it or not everyone is attracted to everyone just as heterosexuals are not attracted to every heterosexual they meet.

So if someone asks where can I find artists to share thoughts and designs with, we give an answer and not assume that they will be having sex or make them post what their intentions are for asking.

So the point is, answer the question asked if you know the answer don't analyze it to death unless it's against the law and when it is we delete the thread or close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.