Anyone who has bought a car from ?K"motors in Sosua

fjw

Oct 11, 2010
:cool , Would you tell me your experience and if you give them a positive reference.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I would need ten positive references before buying a car down here if it were used.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
:cool , Would you tell me your experience and if you give them a positive reference.

Try to buy from a private seller who is willing to help you through the registration process. You have to be very careful with any car "dealers" in the DR. You are better off to have Gorgon help you find a good car.

Aug 21, 2007
If you live on the North Coast, go to the Max Car Wash and talk with Janns, the German owner. He does car mechanics and body work (in addition to running the car wash) and typically also has some cars for sale. He does all the work on my car, is fair and honest, and does good work. When you buy a used car from him, you can be sure you will get one in good condition and should you happen to have a problem, you can take it right back to the seller!

Good luck.

Lindsey

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Why buy a used car? Because new cars are absurdly expensive, unless you are a Diputado or a narcotraficante. But seriously, I'm seeing better advice than usual in this thread. Going through a known source is always an advantage because you will get a more honest assessment of the vehicle's condition. Besides, the ruinous cost, the other disadvantage of new cars is local car dealers are notorious for not honoring warranties or providing shoddy warranty repairs. Several manufacturers have stripped down warranties specific to the Dominican Republic because road conditions take such a heavy toll on the vehicles.

However you source your used vehicle, best practices are:

- compare prices for similar vehicles (easier to do these days with online resources like 'supercarros')
- have a trusted or at least objective mechanic examine the vehicle for serious mechanical issues
- never buy without a test drive, even the least experienced buyer can notice major suspension or drive train problems
- be aware of the local custom of last second, cash in hand, negotiations (you can knock a bit off your purchase price)
- list each defect or mechanical issue you and/or your consulting mechanic notices, then use that list to renegotiate the price
- this might be the most important...assume you will have to rebuild a used vehicle's components that are not obviously in perfect shape (e.g. tires, engine seals, exhaust, suspension, etc.) and base your maximum price you are willing to pay on that assumption
- use online resources (carfax, etc.) to filter out salvage or flood damaged vehicles, but be aware all such vehicle's don't have online histories
- research proven methods for identifying salvage or flood damaged vehicles (odors, stains, mismatched VIN numbers, odometer reading that is inconsistent with vehicle condition, etc.)

The above might look scary but the used car buyer's secret weapon in the Dominican Republic is the relatively low cost of even major repairs. We of course want to avoid such repairs but if they come up it's not the end of the world like in the US or Europe. A front end overhaul on a jeepeta, or new brakes are manageable. Tires are more troublesome because replacing them is very costly and, unlike an engine overhaul, you will repeat the expense relatively soon. But we must have our transportation��

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
The conventional wisdom is rental car companies comply with car manufacturers' recommended maintenance schedules. The other consideration is a rental car company is a known entity, as distinct from a random private seller with an advert in supercarros or the Listin. I think local practices blunt some of the advantages of buying cars from rental companies in other countries. Anyone who has rented cars, especially from the independents like Nelly and others, knows they aren't generally maintained to international standards.

why would anybody buy an ex-rental car????????

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
what kind of car are you looking for...and test driveit,,,let it run so its warm check the exhaust for fumes...you do this by watching from different angles /directions...at idle after warmed up...and native car sales people lov to get over on car sales...its like free money...car came with mats ///they gone....good battery/ it switched...test drive negotiate...walk away come back/send someone else ha ha ha

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I would never buy a used car down here. I know of several open air "shops" in SD where they build used cars from the ground up. There is a huge outdoor "shop" behind Colegio Charles De Gaulle where they even do complete paint jobs. Importing a vehicle might be a better option to consider.

Last edited:

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
it is well known that rental cars have magical powers that Harry Potter would envy
they can mount 4" curbs at warp speeds without any problems
they can change from 2nd gear to reverse at any speed up to 25mph without the transmission exploding into a gazillion pieces
the upholstery is fully stain & body odor resistant ............ regardless of the activity or time of the month

it took a friend of mine all last winter to get his ex-rental working from a reputable local source properly sorted