Aplantanado & Plantains

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Kind of miss a good ole platter of frito verde, and even just plain boiled platanos to scoop out crab meat from the shelves........

Am I beyond help ? ;)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It amusing to me how I hardly ever order them, but stick a plate in front of me and they mysteriously disappear.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I am not completely aplatanada when it comes to loving plantains. I like most things with ripe plantains but not all green plantain dishes. I like tostones and mofongo but not mangú.

Plantains aside, what makes you feel you're aplatanado/a?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I really like Plantains. Until last year we had a dozen plants here on our property , Starting to recover but not really enough water And at $700. for 1000 gallons I am not about to grow the most expensive plantains in the country.
Putting that aside a have a young fella who faithfully delivers plantain to my door every week.
Mangu, fried and using as base for fish cakes ... the very best.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I see plantains, I always wonder why people who tried them once ever had them again.

I can only somewhat enjoy them when "maduro".

Reactions: bienamor

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I like plantains in all his forms, it was always part of our staple food growing up. Used to like maduros better, but now I am leaning towards greens.

The funny thing is that I never thought people outside of Africans ate plantains until I started traveling.

Reactions: Michael DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am not completely aplatanada when it comes to loving plantains. I like most things with ripe plantains but not all green plantain dishes. I like tostones and mofongo but not mangú.

Plantains aside, what makes you feel you're aplatanado/a?

I’m not a huge fan of green plantains. I’ll usually choose a different side (Mr AE never passes up a tostone). I rarely eat mofongo, never make it, but I’ll usually get a mini one at Adrian Tropical. I do love a properly made Mangú with fried eggs on top!

Aplantanada......I’ve been called that. Aside from the food.... I suppose I qualify because life in DR with all the quirks no longer upsets or fazes me. No electricity and the batteries died? Light a candle and use my kindle. Water pump not working? Bucket shower. Propane ran out in the middle of cooking dinner? Swap out the little gas grill tank until tomorrow.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Aplantanada......I’ve been called that. Aside from the food.... I suppose I qualify because life in DR with all the quirks no longer upsets or fazes me. No electricity and the batteries died? Light a candle and use my kindle. Water pump not working? Bucket shower. Propane ran out in the middle of cooking dinner? Swap out the little gas grill tank until tomorrow.
Attitude and mind set...will get you everywhere! This post would work fine on tread about "Move from USA".