Applause @ PUJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Last week I was checking in for a departing flight from PUJ when applause broke out. I turned to look but could not identify the cause. When heading towards my gate, however, I noticed a handcuffed man on the ground with his woman companion standing over him, luggage by her side, and both were surrounded by young plain clothes individuals. From what I was able to determine the grounded man was drunk and disorderly while awaiting his flight and the men charged w/air flight security put him on the ground. The man continued disorderly to the extent he could while handcuffed and on the ground. He blared something about being from Chicago and that he was going to kick someone's ass.

I'm in NYC now and the reason I bring this up is that the main story running in local news nets is the death of one Eric Garner whom resisted arrest for selling untaxed cigs and had to be ground
ed to be handcuffed too. The big burly man had to be put in a chokehold to be grounded though, an approach that resulted as the cause of death. As further results, the officer that executed the choke has been charged w/homicide, human and civil rights groups and the policeman's union are in an uproar. No applause here.

This presents as somewhat of a tale of two different worlds. In one regard while NYC is arresting individuals for selling untaxed cigs, in the DR loosies are sold w/impunity, and in another case, I do not think that DR lawmen would be similarly arrested. What do you all think/say?

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
They weren't untaxed cigarettes, they were single cigarettes. If one sells single cigarettes right out of a pack with the tax stamp clearly visible it is still a misdemeanor in places with "loosie" laws on the books.

The D.R. is a different country with different laws and customs and I wouldn't think twice about a belligerent drunk being restrained, especially at an airport there. They sell Punani there legally, why would they have a problem with "loosies"?

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Last week I was checking in for a departing flight from PUJ when applause broke out. I turned to look but could not identify the cause. When heading towards my gate, however, I noticed a handcuffed man on the ground with his woman companion standing over him, luggage by her side, and both were surrounded by young plain clothes individuals. From what I was able to determine the grounded man was drunk and disorderly while awaiting his flight .........

The poor woman, I can almost feel her pain.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
The D.R. is a different country with different laws and customs and I wouldn't think twice about a belligerent drunk being restrained, especially at an airport there. They sell Punani there legally, why would they have a problem with "loosies"?

Ain't that the truth - and taking into account all things, I know where I'd rather spend my vacation money. The USA seems to get more uptight and PC by the second, with all interests being appeased and a guy choked to death for selling 'looses'..

To be honest, I'd rather be stopped by the PN (who are almost always polite and almost always just looking for a handout) than by some of the morons in uniform (who shoot unarmed people, break into their houses without warrant, perform illegal searches with violence, taser children and generally are so out of control that one fear's for ones life at any and all interactions with them) that are shown up on Youtube.

Aug 6, 2006
Being drunk and disorderly in an airport is a dumb thing to be.
Selling untaxed cigarettes is illegal, but does not merit a death penalty.

Telling people you are from Chicago (or anywhere) is not helpful, probably not even in Chicago, certainly not in PUJ.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
The look on her face was a mix of anguish and quick sober-up fly.

Also, I've done enough flying lately to have noticed the absolute zero tolerance approach at airports now. If you are frowning there's a chance you might be surveilled. The ports are not your grandmother's arrival/departure points of access/egress anymore.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I'm in NYC now and the reason I bring this up is that the main story running in local news nets is the death of one Eric Garner whom resisted arrest for selling untaxed cigs and had to be ground
ed to be handcuffed too. The big burly man had to be put in a chokehold to be grounded though, an approach that resulted as the cause of death. As further results, the officer that executed the choke has been charged w/homicide, human and civil rights groups and the policeman's union are in an uproar. No applause here.

We covered this:

http://dr1.com/forums/off-topic/144570-new-yorks-finest.html

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
When I get on a airplane any more I am an absolute stoic robot. If a flight attendant does not like the way you look at her she can have you ejected, all in the name of security.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Got dropped off at STI some time ago with a grande in my hand. Police were on me like white on rice. Made me drink it right on the spot. Total barbarians.

Status
Not open for further replies.