*** Appliance, Furniture & Stuff Pricing ***

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I'm looking to furnish a small apartment in Santiago with stuff from Ikea. Would it be cheaper to rent a car and pick it all up in Santo Domingo, or are their delivery fees to Santiago reasonable?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I believe they have a delivery center in Santiago where you can go pick up your purchases.
CC
Enjoy your "stuff" from IKEA,.......while it LASTS!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I believe they have a delivery center in Santiago where you can go pick up your purchases.
CC
Enjoy your "stuff" from IKEA,.......while it LASTS!
"Conditions" in the DR, are not "KIND" to furniture from Skandinavia !
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

nathanjohnz

Mar 7, 2013
Hi, I am looking for a king size bed and a good coach with the table. Where I go to buy a good quality bedroom furniture?

Lela Joannidis

May 29, 2013
hello! anyone selling a small freezer or a complete fridge/freezer?
also a good office chair and a fan would be great!

809 601 4535 sms me! tnx lela

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Pawn shops, "Compra/Ventas" is a place to check.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Everyone says that, but we must stop at the wrong ones, never find ANYTHING.

Maybe some of you can post names and locations of good ones that sell furniture and appliances????

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In SD, they must be BIGGER.
They put appliances, and furniture outside for all to see!
Bought a 10 foot fiberglass ladder ,like new,for 3,000 pesos.
They started at 6,000, it took me over a month to get them down to 3,000.
And, they even delivered it.
Bought a motorcycle for my handyman a long time ago, he worked off the cost.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Several years ago, we bought an antique mahogany/caoba dining room table and chairs. We've looked ever since for an old china closet/vitrina that would match/blend with it. It had to be rather small too, which limited us further. Went into every compra-venta and used furniture store we ever passed. Checked online for months on end. I gave up. Thought about having one made.

A few days ago, Mr. AE showed me one on a Dominican online site [maybe emarket.do but he's not here to ask] - it even matched the chairs of our set. Sent BIL to a home in Arroyo Hondo to check it out, and it was delivered to our house yesterday.

Kathy Stahl

Nov 16, 2013
hello, my husband and i are moving to the D.R next year. I hear many pros and cons on selling everything, and buying when you arrive. we want a furnished house to lease the 1st yr we are there. What small items can anyone suggest to bring, and what not to bring please? thanks, kATHY

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Though call, we don't know what you, "Can't Live Without".
How do you plan to get what you want sent here???
Not knowing anything about your plans for the DR, I say,the, "KISS" policy is best!
You can buy almost anything you want/need after you get here.
See what comes in the house.
Not worrying about packing, shipping, and recieving household goods will be a blessing.
You will have plenty of things to worry about after you arrive, you don't need any more.
Best of luck here.
Cris

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Whoa! No bargains with refrigerated shipping containers from the states..

Yea, that was an impulse buy. I normally know prices of everything I buy in RD$ and USD$ and compare to what I paid in the US. Sometimes certain junk food products catch my eye and I grossly overpay :( This was one of those cases. For some reason I figured 5 pounds of buffalo wings in the US would be at least 25$ anyways and I was wrong.

At that price it's definitely worth it to buy wings at 70 pesos a pound and make your own buffalo sauce :)

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Guidance on where to go in Santiago to buy - stove/oven, refrigerator, bed (queen) and functional dining table and chairs. Helpful if delivery is available to Imbert. Pricesmart or the like??? No Ikea.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
try Cuesta.... comprehensive line-up there..... at the mall w/ the new Nacional.

not sure about the delivery, but you can figure that out your end.... better to send somebody from your area, IMO.
That's what I do... send a local man to bring things from SD and STI

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Guidance on where to go in Santiago to buy - stove/oven, refrigerator, bed (queen) and functional dining table and chairs. Helpful if delivery is available to Imbert. Pricesmart or the like??? No Ikea.

If you are looking for new low to mid-range stuff, try Plaza Lama, El Encanto and La Sirena.