Applying for Residency

beckyred11

Jul 9, 2002
Hello!

I was just wondering what documents I would need to bring from Canada to apply for my Dominican residency. My boss has said that she will talk to her lawyers about getting the papers but is unsure of what documents I will need. Rather than wait for a reply from her and/or the lawyer, I am looking for some input from members of this board. Thanks a lot!

Becky

beckyred11

Jul 9, 2002
Thanks Ken!

Made a list from the link that you suggested. Now I just need to know the address for the Ministy of Foreign Affairs in Ontario since their website is "under construction" and who knows how long that will be for! I want to get the application papers filled out and ready for my return and will get the medical exam done in the DR (wonder why this is required? Could it be to collect the $$$?). Also wondering who I would get a certificate of good behaviour from? Would I just visit the local police station in Juan Dolio and ask if they recognize me? Never had any run-ins with the law, so I am assuming that is a good thing? Thanks again for your help!

Becky:cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are applying for a Dominican residency, I would strongly recommend using a competent, honest attorney in the DR to help you. One I can highly recommend is Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions in this section of the forum. Also, it was his website I referred you to for the info. You can email him at info@drlawyer.com

I think you will need a statement from the police where you are. At least that was the case when I got my residency. In future, when you get your permanent residency, you repeat the process but this time with a certificate from police in the DR where you will be.

JoanneH

Feb 1, 2003
Letter of Good Conduct

Becky, I'm from Toronto and I recently applied for residency in the DR. I received the letter of good conduct from the Toronto police department. I went to Headquarters at 40 College St. and gave them my passport, drivers license and cash (I think it was about $40) and they gave me the letter. I'm sure the police departments in other cities in Canada work the same way.

Good Luck!

-j