Arajet cleared to start flights

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Hector-Porcella-y-Victor-Pacheco-Mendez-Arajet-IDAC-1024x677.png
Hector Porcella and Victor Pacheco Méndez / IDAC

The Dominican Institute of Civil Aviation (IDAC) announced that Arajet is cleared for commercial and cargo operations. The low cost Dominican airline is authorized for scheduled and charter flights, air cargo and mail. Victor Pacheco Mendez, president of Arajet, said the authorization comes after five years of hard work. He said Arajet will target the Dominican diaspora and passengers from North, Central, South America, and the Caribbean. The airline is expected to soon launch direct flights to and from Santo Domingo with low prices and world-class on-time service.

Pacheco Mendez says the company will gradually begin operations to different destinations in North Central and South America and to the Caribbean, starting in late July and early August.

Arajet will fly Boeing B737 Max aircraft.

Read more...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2007
No gracias...and 737 Max Double no gracias!! Not if it was free or they paid me.

The airline is participated in by famous names, such as Mike Powell of Wizz Air / Flybondi....
it's as LCC as any other LCC in the world.

And they (Arajet) brought in a LOT of international staff ...

Feb 7, 2007
You can browse their LInkedin, the pilots and maintenance are mostly brought in from other countries, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, and as far away as South Africa, upper and mid-level management all foreign, Europe/Canada/Latin America ... this is as professional operation as it gets

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
The airline is participated in by famous names, such as Mike Powell of Wizz Air / Flybondi....

And they (Arajet) brought in a LOT of international staff ...

They said the same about the last 30+ defunct Dominican airlines - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_airlines_of_the_Dominican_Republic

Meanwhile in Colombia has the second oldest airline in the world (just 58 days behind KLM) and celebrated 102 years of service. (excellent service I may add).

It's the culture, the work ethic, the training, the education, personal responsibility of the people on the ground.

Not some exec 50+ miles away in an office suite looking at excel sheets.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Do any of the major airlines (any in the entire world) have a maintenance facilities in the Dominican Republic?
Because that is what we are really talking about maintaining and operating the fleet safely.

@SNH the culture of the airline starts at the top.
If they are not of the mentality of safety first.
No one that steps onto one of their flights is going to be safe.

But pilots, flight attendants and ground crew "move the equipment".
I'd be more interested in the overall qualifications of the pilots than anything else.

If these guys are doing the maintenance I would be confident.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Not an argument with you @SNH
And you never have to give me (or anyone else for that matter) permission to do anything.
Very condescending statement.
Especially after I agreed with you.

The background of the closing of PAWA was lack of payment of taxes to the 🇩🇴
3,000,000 USD was chump change
Why not a payment plan?
I don't buy it.
Uncertain if it was airline operations or government intervention that lead to the initial shut down.
I have my facts straight.
I followed that story when it happened here in 🇩🇴
It was hard for me to believe that the DRGOV would shut down an operation airline and leave passengers stranded.
Later the charge of lack of maintenance was added to the reasons for the suspension.

Remember, you only have one behind to place in their seat and you have already declared that you would not.
Let's see if there are others that will.
If it 0 for 33
It won't matter to me.
I don't have any skin in the game.
I will not be buying their stock (if traded publicly)

And when I say I am more concerned about the Pilots.
I gotta inside track on that.
Of course, it is always tough to fly a plane that is broke.
But that is what true aviators train for...

Every performed an engine out drill?

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Not an argument with you @SNH
And you never have to give me (or anyone else for that matter) permission to do anything.
Very condescending statement.
Especially after I agreed with you.

The background of the closing of PAWA was lack of payment of taxes to the 🇩🇴
3,000,000 USD was chump change
Why not a payment plan?
I don't buy it.
Uncertain if it was airline operations or government intervention that lead to the initial shut down.
I have my facts straight.
I followed that story when it happened here in 🇩🇴
It was hard for me to believe that the DRGOV would shut down an operation airline and leave passengers stranded.
Later the charge of lack of maintenance was added to the reasons for the suspension.

Remember, you only have one behind to place in their seat and you have already declared that you would not.
Let's see if there are others that will.
If it 0 for 33
It won't matter to me.
I don't have any skin in the game.
I will not be buying their stock (if traded publicly)

And when I say I am more concerned about the Pilots.
I gotta inside track on that.
Of course, it is always tough to fly a plane that is broke.
But that is what true aviators train for...

Every performed an engine out drill?
Not towards you. I did not see your post until now. Was in response to rubio,

"The airline is participated in by famous names, such as Mike Powell of Wizz Air / Flybondi....

And they (Arajet) brought in a LOT of international staff ..."

At the end the day does not matter who shut down what. All that matters is the customers were stranded. Not the time for the airlines or govt to be pointing fingers. Just get people back home. Work out who's fault later.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Are you guys saying that Trujillo did it best?

He was who founded Dominicana de Aviación and like all his other businesses such as sugar mills, was profitable every year he was alive. Then he was killed... At least Dominicana lasted to the mid-1990's. It was one of the first airlines of Latin America (to my understanding), a Dominican pride in the sky. It probably was the first airline of the Caribbean.

In early May 1961 with Dominican products and cargo destined to the major purchasers of Puerto Rico, the United States and Curaçao. This photo was still taken in the Era of Trujillo (he would be shot dead in a few weeks) at Aeropuerto Trujillo (aka, Las Américas).
EC5C54D1-B81A-4457-BA8E-DA1EF8D436CE.jpeg

After Trujillo Sr was killed, his son Ramfis returned from France in an emergency flight to take control of the DR. This was in 1961 where he "donated" all his shares of two companies (including Dominicana) to the Dominican state. At that time the peso dollar exchange rate was basically 1:1. Today, this amount would be about US$7.6 million.
59D92E45-2FFF-4E1E-BDD2-B0C2AC65BF4E.jpeg

Here is a Dominicana airplane arriving in Puerto Rico from Santo Domingo in 1966. Fully owned by the Dominican state and what was impossible under Trujillo became possible with the Dominican state. Its days were numbered.
63C972FC-587D-478B-9896-28838BC8270A.jpeg

I wouldn't be surprised that if Dominican had maintained the excellent service and highest quality it had during the Trujillo years, today it would still be flying and probably up there with excellent airlines like Emirates.

Oh well, that will never happen. While defunct, the Dominicana name still has a multimillion dollar debt acquired after the Trujillo years that would have to be paid before the name returns to the sky, which is never.

Supposedly, Arajet has a different beginning from most Dominican airlines. Will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buzzard
Feb 7, 2007
https://dr1.com/forums/threads/good-bye-pawa-hello-dominican-wings.124922/ - 2018 same story new executive this one called "Dominican Wings"

https://dr1.com/forums/threads/red-air-a-new-dominican-airline.397907/#post-5598241 - 2021 same story new executive this one called "Red Air"

Dominican Wings -> JetCana -> AraJet
1. changed name from DW to JetCana when Latvian partner exited, the TM for DW was under their name
2. got aborad sound names as JetCana
3. renamed to AraJet to remove confusion with FlyCana which started charter operations before JetCana started their scheduled ops

DW-> JetCana -> AraJet -- same company, same executives

AraJet or DW has/had nothing to do with PAWA

PAWA was owned by Venezuelan Oligarchs
RedJet is the continuation of PAWA by the same Oligarchs.

But again PAWA/RedJet , they have nothing to do with AraJet

Get your facts straight first dear

Feb 7, 2007
Now, talking about Red Air (same as PAWA) they mostly transport Venezuelans who cannot fly direct to USA because the Venezuelans airlines do not have landing rights there because of bad maintenance.

Now Red Air , after today, probably won't be flying much to USA either... 126 people will celebrate June 21 as their new birthday.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Now, talking about Red Air (same as PAWA) they mostly transport Venezuelans who cannot fly direct to USA because the Venezuelans airlines do not have landing rights there because of bad maintenance.

Now Red Air , after today, probably won't be flying much to USA either... 126 people will celebrate June 21 as their new birthday.

Like I said...Double no gracias..Now Triple no gracias x Nunca Nunca! 🍿

I rest my case!

giphy.gif

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Are you guys saying the Trujillo did it best?

He was who founded Dominicana de Aviación and like all his other businesses such as sugar mills, was profitable every year he was alive. Then he was killed... At least Dominicana lasted to the mid-1990's. It was one of the first airlines of Latin America (to my understanding), a Dominican pride in the sky. It probably was the first airline of the Caribbean.

In early May 1961 with Dominican products and cargo destined to the major purchasers of Puerto Rico, the United States and Curaçao. This photo was still taken in the Era of Trujillo (he would be shot dead in a few weeks) at Aeropuerto Trujillo (aka, Las Américas).
View attachment 5852

After Trujillo Sr was killed, his son Ramfis returned from France in an emergency flights to take control of the DR. This was in 1961 where he "donated" all his shares of two companies (including Dominicana) to the Dominican state. At that time the peso dollar exchange rate was basically 1:1. Today, this amount would be about US$7.6 million.View attachment 5853

Here is a Dominicana airplane arriving in Puerto Rico from Santo Domingo in 1966. Fully owned by the Dominican state and what was impossible under Trujillo became pissible with the Dominican state, its days were numbered.
View attachment 5854

i wouldn't be surprised that if Dominican had maintaine the excellent service and highest quality it had during the Trujillo years, today it would still be flying and probably up there with excellent airlines like Emirates.

Oh well, that will never happen. While defunct, the Dominicana name still has a multimillion dollar debt acquired after the Trujillo years that would have to be paid before the name returns to the sky, which is never.

Supposedly, Arajet has a different beginning from most Dominican airlines. Will see how it goes.
Is thst 'Sheik Yer Bouti' painted on the side of that aircraft?

Credit to Frank Zappa.