Arajet Flights to Barasil BEAWARE !!!!

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
The DR requieres a at least 10 day old vacination against Yellow Fever For People that enter from Brasil.
I was already in the Airplane for my 3 day trip to Sao Paolo when my Seat Neighboor mentioned this.
I got off the Plane just before they finished Boarding.
So if anyone thinks about visitng Brasil; Get your shot (i definitely want) or return via the US or any other country.

Reactions: cavok

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The DR requieres a at least 10 day old vacination against Yellow Fever For People that enter from Brasil.
I was already in the Airplane for my 3 day trip to Sao Paolo when my Seat Neighboor mentioned this.
I got off the Plane just before they finished Boarding.
So if anyone thinks about visitng Brasil; Get your shot (i definitely want) or return via the US or any other country.
So, the airline let you board without having documentation of the Yellow Fever vaccine? Strange

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
So, the airline let you board without having documentation of the Yellow Fever vaccine? Strange
Not at all ! Read my Post ! They requiere the Vacination for your return from Brasil to the DR. They would not have let me on board on my way back.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
It appears from his post that he was going to Brazil where the vaccine is not needed but than he learned that he could not get back to the DR without it. So he got off............
Exactly !

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Not at all ! Read my Post ! They requiere the Vacination for your return from Brasil to the DR. They would not have let me on board on my way back.
True, also its in the Website the information about flights coming to DR from Sao Paulo and they send emails with the info when you book, when I was returning from Sao Paulo in the flight boarded a Haitian that has to stay 10 days because he didnt got the shot and told me was hard to find the place to get it in Brazil, he stayed the 10 days sleeping in the airport and moving from terminals so police did not kick out him, and in the same flight heard when they was telling another guy can not board make the check in because of that.

If you plan to travel to Sao Paulo in Santo Domingo you can get the shot at the Centro de Vacunas in Calle Dr. Galvan near to National Palace, be there early 7:00 am because sometimes Haitians and Venezuelan use all the doses and nothing left for Dominicans until they receive new doses.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
If for any reason you don't want to get an actual shot, fake paper with name/vaccine/date and some doctor signature printed on the cheapest inkjet printer works fine.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I read your post... and my question still stands. If proof of the vaccination was needed to enter the DR, would that not be checked at the counter that you did have it. Meaning before you got all the way to plane, did they not ask you/remind you at the check-in counter? That just seems wrong to me to not ask at the counter.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
I read your post... and my question still stands. If proof of the vaccination was needed to enter the DR, would that not be checked at the counter that you did have it. Meaning before you got all the way to plane, did they not ask you/remind you at the check-in counter? That just seems wrong to me to not ask at the counter.
In Venezuela and Brazil they ask for the yellow fever vaccination paper at check-in for your flight to DR. They will not check you in until you show them the paper (fake paper works fine).

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
It appears from his post that he was going to Brazil where the vaccine is not needed but than he learned that he could not get back to the DR without it. So he got off............
Yes ,
But the Airline should have CHECKED before allowing him to board.
Its similar to needing a Visa to the Country being visited , and you dont have one, the Airline is RESPONSIBLE for you Return flight at that point. since they allowed you on the Plane and should not have.
or Have things changed ? This is their day to day Business, they are expected to know this stuff.

Correct ..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would guess they thought he would get it when he is in Brazil. Kind of like Covid restrictions. But at the least they should have notified him when he purchased the RT ticket that he needed it to return....

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
If you make a reservation on Arajet from SDQ to Brazil (roundtrip, with return to SDQ), this information comes up:

1718048343806.png

Reactions: SKY

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
I would guess they thought he would get it when he is in Brazil. Kind of like Covid restrictions. But at the least they should have notified him when he purchased the RT ticket that he needed it to return....
How do you get a Shot 10 days out , if your Trip is only 3 days Long ?
Or did we read that incorrectly ?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
How do you get a Shot 10 days out , if your Trip is only 3 days Long ?
Or did we read that incorrectly ?
I agree completely, but if he read the message they sent him he could have just cancelled or made other plans............You can't rely on airlines alone for things like this. They are not the most dependable people..............

Reactions: jd426

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yes ,
But the Airline should have CHECKED before allowing him to board.
Its similar to needing a Visa to the Country being visited , and you dont have one, the Airline is RESPONSIBLE for you Return flight at that point. since they allowed you on the Plane and should not have.
or Have things changed ? This is their day to day Business, they are expected to know this stuff.

Correct ..
I don’t think it’s comparable. No vaccine is required to go to Brazil. That’s akin to going to a country that doesn’t require a visa. The vaccine is required for Brazil to DR, akin to the DR demanding a visa for anyone entering from Brazil (except Dominican citizens.) Makes perfect sense the airline would check for the vaccine proof prior to boarding in Brazil while not checking in SDQ on the way to Brazil. The only way any airline would send back someone on its dime is if it lets onboard someone without having been vaccinated as they wouldn’t be able to show the proofs of the vaccine, but going to Brazil is a non-issue.

These types of restrictions are meant to protect the Dominican population from being infected with yellow fever. With that said, good thing that doesn’t exist in Haiti (don’t get any idea, I’m looking at you UN.*) Otherwise, this restriction would had been a moot point. Anyone with AIDS supposedly isn’t allowed to enter the DR, yet Haiti has a higher AIDS rate than the DR. Anyone check an illegal immigrant from Haiti for that? :unsure:

It would be interesting to see when Haiti got rid of yellow fever. I very clearly remember that most of the French troops, including Leclerc himself, died from yellow fever and other mosquito-borne diseases contracted in Haiti back in 1802.

* The DR didn’t had cholera and neither did Haiti. Thanks to the UN Haiti got cholera and guess what happened shortly after? The DR has an active and effective Ministry of Public Health and they are the reason cholera didn’t get as bad in the DR as in Haiti. Signs warning about cholera and how to avoided appeared in all Dominican airports.

Reactions: jd426

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
At GRU airport while check in they ask for the certificated, if you can not show it then they reject your check in with the airline. I heard when they rejected one passenger to check in at the counter because he didnt have it.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
This is what happens when you dont read all the posts in Chronological Order .

so , How did he get on the plane ?
The one they was telling that at the counter I don't know what he did, but the Haitian guy that could board in my flight told me he got the info where to get the shot then waited the next 10 days sleeping at the airport, moving between all terminals to prevent police dont kicked him out of the airport; also he told me that he was living in an area very far away from Sao Paulo and to return to where he lives and wait for the required 10 days before next flight was not an option for him.