ARAJET

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
The SDQ-JFK-SDQ routes isn’t an “if they will be successful.” Given that its airplanes are relatively new, with Dominican services and offering many Dominican products (I know the Coca-Cola in their flights from SDQ are from the bottling plant in SD, what what about those offered on the flights back to SD? I think they would be the unsold from the same batch that left SD, but you never know), expecting better treatment (airlines such as Jetblue already have a tarnished image in the Dominican media) and perceived lower costs; I would be surprised if the SDQ-JFK-SDQ routes aren’t successful. The Dominican diaspora that lives in the tri-state area can alone make that route successful. Then add the Dominicans living in the DR who have visas to the USA since NYC is a popular destination for them.

The JFK-SDQ and the JFK-STI routes are essentially highways in the sky between the DR and the USA.
I never knew about the coca cola bottling was from locally, that means money is spend locally which is good. But for JFK/BOS/MIA, maybe they overstock to use for return trip back to DR so they don't have to rely on USA resources?

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I don’t think anyone cares where their coca cola is from and the airline will probably stock where it is cheaper or when it’s needed.

Reactions: cavok

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
BREAKING: Arajet will start service to JFK and Miami starting February 2025 then Boston and Charlotte in Summer 2025.

The routes will be for JFK-SDQ and MIA-SDQ then CLT-SDQ and BOS-SDQ. If proven successful, will add second route to PUJ in end of the year.
Do you possibly have a link to this? I am very surprised at the CLT - SDQ route as AA pretty much has/had this route.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Do you possibly have a link to this? I am very surprised at the CLT - SDQ route as AA pretty much has/had this route.
I was invited to their board meeting and I saw the powerpoint they were showing. I had emailed them to request that in PDF and I'll share with you people to see. As said, CLT has large number of Dominicans and they want to offer lower fare because AA wants 3X more so Arajet wants to change that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don’t think anyone cares where their coca cola is from and the airline will probably stock where it is cheaper or when it’s needed.
Coca Cola cares since depending on the particular situation, producing locally can make the remove the extra cost of having duties imposed on their products if they are imported.

That essentially brings to light the case of Arajet since legally it’s a Dominican company with headquarters in the DR. Coca Cola made in the DR isn’t an import for them, but Coca Cola made in the USA can be. That can affect the final price they pay fior the same Coca Cola, if made in one placeover another they could see a higher profit margin.

This isn’t just Coca Cola or products that Arajet csn sell on board. Take for example Toyota Camry. Yes, Toyota id a Japanese brand and technically Toyota cars are Japanese, however if you buy a Camry in the USA it isn’t imported from Japan but rather made in the USA in one of the southern state. This could also be the same for the DR sincd just about every Camry in the DR is imported from the USA. Those Camry’s made in the USA are not subjected to import duties since they aren’t imports into the USA.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
NALs reread my post, it is as simple as that.
For a plane most is tax exempt, including kerosene, dutyfree items and food. When used on the plane there is no import(tax).
You are comparing apples with Camry’s…

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I was invited to their board meeting and I saw the powerpoint they were showing. I had emailed them to request that in PDF and I'll share with you people to see. As said, CLT has large number of Dominicans and they want to offer lower fare because AA wants 3X more so Arajet wants to change that.
I have a lot of doubts about this...CLT-SDQ. Much of what you are posting has been in the news lately, expansion into the USA. However, no mention of Charlotte whatsoever.

trspencer

Aug 27, 2023
Sosua
I feel so sad that it is never a new route to POP. The management of that airport should be fired for the lack of marketing skills.
Couldn't agree more. The lack of competition at POP is absurd, and prices really reflect it. JetBlue had some > $800 fares ONE WAY to JFK. Ridiculous.

Reactions: windeguy and cavok

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I guess he means increase of competition for North American routes. It basically means little for someone that want cheaper flights from POP to NYC that new flights to other places will be created.

So far, whatever route Arajet gets in results in a decrease of the prices for that route in Arajet flights and any of the other competitors. What I’m not sure is if prices go back up if Arajet stops flying somewhere. The people of Arajet have noticed this enough times to call it the “Arajet effect.”

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I guess he means increase of competition for North American routes. It basically means little for someone that want cheaper flights from POP to NYC that new flights to other places will be created.

So far, whatever route Arajet gets in results in a decrease of the prices for that route in Arajet flights and any of the other competitors. What I’m not sure is if prices go back up if Arajet stops flying somewhere. The people of Arajet have noticed this enough times to call it the “Arajet effect.”
They are moving flights to EZE, GRU, SCL, UIO, GYE from SDQ to PUJ, me and many dominicans are very upset because they didnt keep at least 2 flights a week from SDQ. I have been monitoring prices with Copa and they have atractive prices from SDQ to those destinations to make sure people do not fallow Arajet to Punta Cana. I'm part of the Dominicans that will go back to fly with Copa where Arajet do not have flights, and in the case of Lima that they put back from Santo Domingo after cancelled the service the 2 flights a week the days flying do not give any change to play with short travel dates so will go with Copa too. They also Cancelled the service to Cancun and Mexico City NLU the reduced to only 2 flights a week and weeks later put back from SDQ 5 days a week to Mexico City and 3 days a week to Cancun. Colombia flights till now Medellin and Bogota remain the same but Cartagena was reduced to only 2 weekly flights and 4 weely from Punta Cana. Lets wait what they will do with Central America and other caribbean island they serve, becasue Kingston Jamaca they reduced to only 2 flights a week too from Santo Domingo and 3 or 4 from Punta Cana.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Probably ALDI stuff.
Don’t they get it directly from a distributer as oppose to a consumer supermarket (along with that the extra discount per unit that comes from buying in bulk)? ARAJET isn’t a mom-and-pop business. They probably have agreements to buy from X distributer in the DR since that’s where the airline is based and soda is an item that can be stored at room temperature (hence it will not go bad if the airline takes extras for the return trip.)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
First routes to USA will be

PUJ-JKF
PUJ-MIA
PUJ-SJU
SDQ-JFK
SDQ-MIA

SDQ-SJU

When they receive more airplanes
STI-JFK
STI-MIA
Those are guaranteed to be successful even if Arajet depends 100% on the Dominican diaspora, especially if people perceive it’s a cheaper airline than Jetblue, which now is “the king” particularly in the SDQ-JFK route. Before Jetblue it was American Airlines.

Reactions: Riva_31

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Those are guaranteed to be successful even if Arajet depends 100% on the Dominican diaspora, especially if people perceive it’s a cheaper airline than Jetblue, which now is “the king” particularly in the SDQ-JFK route. Before Jetblue it was American Airlines.
That's for sure, there are also another that could be sucess,

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Arajet is offering special 2nd year anniversary, $2 to anywhere Arajet goes but for limited time offer

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Arajet is offering special 2nd year anniversary, $2 to anywhere Arajet goes but for limited time offer
Now very complicated as they split part of their routes between SDQ and PUJ. Also now its complicated to make short trips from Thursday and back Sunday because of the same reason, a lot of the routes from Santo Domingo you cant not take a flight back on Sunday. Not sure if say now with me they will loose a customer or wont earn my money bedside the flight I already have booked for January, and no options than comeback to Colombia to use the voucher they gave me as changed me retun time from my booked flight that its the only destination that I can fly from Thursday and back sunday. Wish you best of lucks Arajet.