ARAJET

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The 🇩🇴 is not launching anything.
This is a venture funded by private investors.
Well my friend, let me tell you that you are wrong, Arajet is using the Certificate of Former Dominican Wings, that was a Charter Airline that now their commercial name is Arajet. Investors are Victor Pacheco owner of Dominican Wings, Bain Capital, and the name of the other company that I forget.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Well my friend, let me tell you that you are wrong, Arajet is using the Certificate of Former Dominican Wings, that was a Charter Airline that now their commercial name is Arajet. Investors are Victor Pacheco owner of Dominican Wings, Bain Capital, and the name of the other company that I forget.
Bain Capital
With a $160 Billion in capital working for them they try not in invest in losing propositions. :)
I stated that the company is being started by private investors.
Last time I checked the Dominican Republic 🇩🇴 was a government.
Now, I did not pay much attention to civics class especially the ones taught in Spanish.
But if Bain Capital is not a private company...I don't know definition of what a private investor is.

"The civil aviation regulator of the Dominican Republic has approved 30 routes for DW Dominican Wings SA, which will fly under the new brand name AraJet, formerly Flycana, as the first low-cost carrier based in that country."

Tell me my friend why would the 🇩🇴 government need a regulator to approve its actions❓
I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.
Although I have to use a calculator and spreadsheet for math, I am pretty good at writing and English.

The airline is being started in the Dominican Republic.
Not by the Dominican Republic.

Reactions: Riva_31

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Bain Capital

I stated that the company is being started by private investors.
Last time I checked the Dominican Republic 🇩🇴 was a government.
Now, I did not pay much attention to civics class especially the ones taught in Spanish.
But if Bain Capital is not a private company...I don't know definition of what a private investor is.

"The civil aviation regulator of the Dominican Republic has approved 30 routes for DW Dominican Wings SA, which will fly under the new brand name AraJet, formerly Flycana, as the first low-cost carrier based in that country."

Tell me my friend why would the 🇩🇴 government need a regulator to approve its actions❓
I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.
Although I have to use a calculator and spreadsheet for math, I am pretty good at writing and English.

The airline is being started in the Dominican Republic.
Not by the Dominican Republi

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Was checking prices with Copa for the dates Im traveling with Arajet and Copa's fares are now 592.00 US$ from SDQ to GUA, also was checking flights to CUN from SDQ with Arajet and for october the flights on dates 2nd, 4th, 7th, 9th, and 11th are Soldout.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Arajet will be hosting an employment fair for any Dominicans pilots. It will be on September 29, 2022 at 3pm on the third floor of the AERODOM Commercial Building at the Las Américas International Airport.

D05CDCD6-5B7C-48A1-BC8D-A3A35305596A.jpeg

Requirements:

- Dominican nationality
- At least 1,000 flight hours.
- Preferable to have jet experience (not an obligation).
- OACI CPL/FAA/EASA
- Class 1 Medical Certificate
- Dominance of English to OACI level 4.

0EA222C2-90D6-4B2C-949B-42A4D53BDD8C.jpeg

It should be noted that currently most ARAJET pilots are not Dominicans, but the plan is to increase the share of Dominican pilots.

Jan 9, 2004
Arajet will be hosting an employment fair for any Dominicans pilots. It will be on September 29, 2022 at 3pm on the third floor of the AERODOM Commercial Building at the Las Américas International Airport.

View attachment 6444

Requirements:

- Dominican nationality
- At least 1,000 flight hours.
- Preferable to have jet experience (not an obligation).
- OACI CPL/FAA/EASA
- Class 1 Medical Certificate
- Dominance of English to OACI level 4.

View attachment 6445

It should be noted that currently most ARAJET pilots are not Dominicans, but the plan is to increase the share of Dominican pilots.
1,000 hours!

You cannot even sit in the left seat (pilot in command) without 1500 hours or prior military experience on any major US/European airline.

1,000 hours might get you a first officer position............but not pilot in command..........or it shouldn't. Those under the 1,500 hour minimum cannot get an ATP (Airline Transport Pilot) certificate and thus could not operate in US air space.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Doesn't seem to be a problem for Air Canada.

General Requirements:

• 1000 hours of fixed wing flying time

Or Korean Air.

Potential candidates must have at least 1,000 hours in command of an Airbus A380.

Or ex-US military pilots whom the US government requires less than ARAJET.

Pilots aiming to fly for US-based airlines need to accrue 1,500 flying hours before the Department of Transportation will clear them to fly for a passenger airline. But ex-military pilots only need 750 hours.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
Doesn't seem to be a problem for Air Canada.

That is not for a pilot in command, but it is a minimum for a first officer.

Or Korean Air.

Glad you mentioned Korea. They and a couple other airlines have the strictest requirements to fly;

Hiring Airbus A380 captains​

A job listing posted on Rishworth Aviation shows that Korean Air is currently hiring Airbus A380 captains worldwide on commuting contracts. Seeing as the requirements mean that the position is only open to those with real Airbus A380 experience, the role seems targeted at pilots who may have found their own airline retiring the type. According to the posting, potential applicants must have at least,

• 1000+ PIC hours on A380
  • 2500+ total PIC airline Jet transport hours
  • 5000+ total Airline JET Transport hours
  • 7000+ total flight time
  • Less than 60 years of age at the date of joining
  • Valid A380 type rating
  • High School Certificate/Diploma
That is not 1,000 hours on any fixed wing aircraft like Cessna 172, Piper Warrior etc, but rather 1,000 hours in an Airbus A380.
Or ex-US military pilots whom the US government requires less than ARAJET.

Ex-military pilots by virtue of their rigorous training can get certified ATP with less than 1,500 hours. Ditto those who have graduated with a degree and flying time from places like Embry-Riddle University in Florida.

Many airlines have unsuccessfully tried to reduce the flight hours needed citing pilot shortages, but to no avail.

Personally, I would be suspect of any airline that puts a pilot in command with only 1,000 hours of generic flight time. Further, the track record of Dominican carriers has been less than stellar and I have first hand knowledge and experience there.

I wish them well though. Running an airline is not a profitable business...........and that sometimes leads to cut corners.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lets not forget that Arajet is around 30% owned by Dominicans (enough to be considered a Dominican airline per the law), but the remaining 70% or so is mostly American ownership.

Copa Airlines (I think is mostly owned by Continental Airlines from the USA) will be one of its greatest competitors because the main market for Arajet is to become a regional airline using Santo Domingo as a hub (Copa uses Panama as a hub and survives because of the conexions).

Case in point, one of the requirements for being hired as a pilot for Copa:

• Minimum operational experience: 1,000 flight hours as a pilot.

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Just curious, what does "experience in jet desired but not obligatory" mean? That seems a bit strange to me.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I find it weird that they are doing a jobs fair. I can't imagine there are many Dominican pilots who meet this spec given that there haven't been many Dominican airlines. Surely they should be headhunting the ones they want?

Reactions: Gadfly
Jan 9, 2004
Lets not forget that Arajet is around 30% owned by Dominicans (enough to be considered a Dominican airline per the law), but the remaining 70% or so is mostly American ownership.

Copa Airlines (I think is mostly owned by Continental Airlines from the USA) will be one of its greatest competitors because the main market for Arajet is to become a regional airline using Santo Domingo as a hub (Copa uses Panama as a hub and survives because of the conexions).

Continental Airlines no longer exists. It was merged into United Airlines about ten years ago. Arajets existence will depend on its costs/expenses, its competition, and going forward, its reputation.
Case in point, one of the requirements for being hired as a pilot for Copa:

Again, 1,000 hours does not get you a left seat pilot in command position.

And did you look carefully at the requirements for a Panamanian pilot to be hired..........250 hours! They must have quite the training budget, as acquiring flight hours in bigger aircraft is quite expensive.

Again, I wish Arajet well, but, if your post above about hiring Dominican pilots is accurate, they have severely lowered their standards...........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Continental Airlines no longer exists. It was merged into United Airlines about ten years ago. Arajets existence will depend on its costs/expenses, its competition, and going forward, its reputation.

Again, 1,000 hours does not get you a left seat pilot in command position.

And did you look carefully at the requirements for a Panamanian pilot to be hired..........250 hours! They must have quite the training budget, as acquiring flight hours in bigger aircraft is quite expensive.

Again, I wish Arajet well, but, if your post above about hiring Dominican pilots is accurate, they have severely lowered their standards...........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Tell your expertice to the people putting the money. Here are their names so you can search for them and contact them. I'm sure Playacaribe2 know more than them how to create an airline.

"Arajet is financially backed by experienced global aviation investors in Bain Capital Special Situations (“Bain Capital”) and Griffin Global Asset Management (“Griffin”)."
https://www.baincapital.com/news/arajet-takes-flight-dominican-republic’s-new-ultra-low-cost-airline

Jan 9, 2004
Tell your expertice to the people putting the money. Here are their names so you can search for them and contact them. I'm sure Playacaribe2 know more than them how to create an airline.

"Arajet is financially backed by experienced global aviation investors in Bain Capital Special Situations (“Bain Capital”) and Griffin Global Asset Management (“Griffin”)."
https://www.baincapital.com/news/arajet-takes-flight-dominican-republic’s-new-ultra-low-cost-airline
I do not need to tell them anything. They have deployed their risk capital as they see fit.

Now we just need to see how long Arajet lasts. If they fail, as all the other Dominican flagged carriers have, the lenders will take back their assets and offer them to the next iteration to come along.

I wish them well as competition helps keep prices in check, but I will give them a pass unless and until they gain a real solid reputation..............and looking for pilots by saying "no jet experience is obligatory".............does not, and should not, instill confidence.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2