Architectural home design and cost

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I would get a set of plans designed in the US. I have been in many houses in the DR and the floor plans are terrible.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I can vouch that there are architects here in the DR that are every bit as obsessed about artsy and functional design as anywhere else in the world. In fact I can claim to have been chewed out in different languages by architects for merely trying to move a building a few feet. :)

Apr 13, 2011
I had a class on the ss and pension and even the attorney giving the class said it's a big mess. I believe one has to pay the ss but the pension is determined if the workers on the project are registered.

However, only has to worry about this on "administracion" type of projects where the owner is taking responsibility as the contractor. The engineer is involved but generally charges 12-15% of the total cost of construction. For "costo total" types of projects the engineer/contractor handles this but this fee is usually 25% of the cost of construction.

Keep in mind that as the owner for administracion types of projects the owner is responsible to have the workers registered. If by chance they do get hurt and sue, whether the are legal or not, they have rights to compensation. Big awards have been won and people have lost lots of money. I chuckle sometimes when I hear that "Dominican law doesn't work" but when it comes to labor and contracts if you lose they will come take your property, no and's if or but's about it.

So - are you saying that a person should budget 25%-30% in addition to the 20,000-25,000/m2? Am I understanding correctly?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I can vouch that there are architects here in the DR that are every bit as obsessed about artsy and functional design as anywhere else in the world. In fact I can claim to have been chewed out in different languages by architects for merely trying to move a building a few feet. :)

For once I agree with Chip. The plans I saw by the architect I went to, were very professional and functional. They were certainly up to European high standards.

BelgianK

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So - are you saying that a person should budget 25%-30% in addition to the 20,000-25,000/m2? Am I understanding correctly?

What type of contract are you considering? For the costo total I think RD25,000 is a good number to start with but many here would claim RD30,000 is a normal price.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We talked to an architect in POP, who is very well reputed.

In order for her to make all the plans (design, structural, all utility lines like water, waste, electricity), all calculations, etc... it came to about 2,000$. Her office would also do the legwork to get all the permits, but the cost for the actual permits was not included.

Follow-up was not included, which I found very strange. The price was based on sqm, and this price was for a house of 160 sqm.

If, and when we build here, we are going to use a much respected maestro here, and his price is 27,000 rds/sqm for a house built to European quality standards, but with local materials (some imported stuff like locks, doorhandles and faucets). Mind you, as we want to build modern style some expensive support beams are included in that price.

So, 18,000 is a very good price, but as asked, how are the finishings?

BelgianK

Contemporary my dearest, we are going to build contemporary which is not the same as modern building.

Acira

Apr 13, 2011
What type of contract are you considering? For the costo total I think RD25,000 is a good number to start with but many here would claim RD30,000 is a normal price.
Just a normal house being built on a property. I did not know if your number included the architect and other costs you were mentioning - or if you were telling me those were additional.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Just a normal house being built on a property. I did not know if your number included the architect and other costs you were mentioning - or if you were telling me those were additional.

The architects fees will be RD300-400 per sq meter and taxes/ss could be close to RD100k depending on the value of your house. Also, the values I've given you are generally the best you can get. A lot could depend on your negotiating skills. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I would get a set of plans designed in the US. I have been in many houses in the DR and the floor plans are terrible.

i pliz you! my sister in law is a architect. i have seen her sketches and her work and she shows great imagination combined with understanding of what works in DR and what does not. gringos often have ideas from back home but they do not necessarily translate well to dominican reality and environment.
i would suggest hiring a dominican architect who will be able to combine those american/european tendencies with his/her knowledge of all things dominican.
bear in mind that some house owners insist on certain floor plans and concepts that are very individualistic. i have seen some large houses built at large costs that would never sell for decent money because the building requires too many changes to make it livable for other people. you want to make your house truly yours? go ahead. but be prepared to sell at a loss if you ever have to do it...