Are All Lawyers Corrupt in The DR?

born lucky

May 12, 2021
USA
My family sold property in the DR, Santiago. It has been 3 years since and we have not received full payment. At this time we retained another attorney for help in finishing sale. This attorney upon reading contact stated your attorney sold out. The wording in contact totally screwed us. The was it was written they had no intentions of paying.
So slowly we are winning but the loss of money is massive, tens of thousands of dollars were loss.
This attorney took advantage of our lack of understanding of the Spanish language. We are Dominican born raised in the USA, and American citizens. We asked the correct questions in the sale, and was told by that attorney that we are protected. We were told that the sale was basically cut and dry, as we had all the correct papers and no issues in deed.
What can we do? Can this attorney be brought to justice. Another note this attorney was removed from judgeship as she was found to commit a crime of corruption ( this was found out later)

Reactions: irsav

born lucky

May 12, 2021
USA
Everyone in business here is always looking for an advantage to separate the maximum amount of money from their clients. Legally or otherwise.
no doubt. This attorney worked with seller to write contract on buyers terms. She double dipped her fees and still is asking for more.
I just can't believe you can not go after someone like this.

Reactions: irsav

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No, they';re not. Get recommendations from a trustworthy person that has used a lawyer for many years and you won't have any problem'

Lawyers here are very reluctant to sue other lawyers. There is the equivalent here of a bar association in the US, but it is nowhere near as strong in disbarring unethical lawyers.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Not all Lawyers are corrupt ....but those that seek out a " reasonable or cheap lawyer " will find out the hard way ...no such thing as a cheap lawyer
Do your homework and stick to the well known and respected firms .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Some lawyers are more competent than others, but that shouldn't be confused with be being corrupt and unethical.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
the question was are all lawyers corrupt?............well mostly, a few are not.......like asking are all police corrupt, probably yes..........

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you don't control every step your Dominican lawyer takes and every word he/she writes, you will end up f#cked up. No exceptions.
That is a big brush you are using to paint all Dominican lawyers. I am impressed that you have enough experience with every lawyer in every location to speak with such confidence

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Having dealt with "lawyers" in 4 different countries all I can say is it a lawyer or a liar. It's very hard to tell the difference.
It would be very helpful if they explained it on their business cards.
But it's not a perfect world so do your due diligence and accept the consequence.
After all we are all adults.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
My family sold property in the DR, Santiago. It has been 3 years since and we have not received full payment. At this time we retained another attorney for help in finishing sale. This attorney upon reading contact stated your attorney sold out. The wording in contact totally screwed us. The was it was written they had no intentions of paying.
So slowly we are winning but the loss of money is massive, tens of thousands of dollars were loss.
This attorney took advantage of our lack of understanding of the Spanish language. We are Dominican born raised in the USA, and American citizens. We asked the correct questions in the sale, and was told by that attorney that we are protected. We were told that the sale was basically cut and dry, as we had all the correct papers and no issues in deed.
What can we do? Can this attorney be brought to justice. Another note this attorney was removed from judgeship as she was found to commit a crime of corruption ( this was found out later)

Never had any issues with any of my lawyers in the DR.
I never work with people not in my social circles.
Reputation is gold.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Reputation is gold.
"Lie with dogs and you will get fleas"....I guess there is a reson for this expression. LOL.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Reputation is gold.

Which is a bit like saying " I never take the plane unless the pilot is in my social circles" , or " I don't invest in a stock unless the board members are in my social circle ".

Good for you, but hardly applies across the board.
I expect a lawyer to perform his/her job to the best of his/her ability and " being in one's social circle " should not be a component in the equation.
If the lawyer only does his/her work properly for that reason, he/she is a lyingcheatingb@stard in the first place.

Reactions: drstock
Pretty laughable court system in general. I would highly suggest to avoid getting into anything court related there if possible. It will also not be worth the time, stress to try and get your money back imo. The court system is just so corrupt and ridiculous there. Good luck whatever you choose. Huge reason I am so happy to be gone from there bc of that crap.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Which is a bit like saying " I never take the plane unless the pilot is in my social circles" , or " I don't invest in a stock unless the board members are in my social circle ".

Good for you, but hardly applies across the board.
I expect a lawyer to perform his/her job to the best of his/her ability and " being in one's social circle " should not be a component in the equation.
If the lawyer only does his/her work properly for that reason, he/she is a lyingcheatingb@stard in the first place.
HMMMM. I think you should work on your analogies. :) lol

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
In my 30 years - TONS of horror stories.
99% related to RE sells/purchases. 1% - to liquidation issues.