Are Dominicans fatter than the past

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
McD's is for rich people in the bigger cities and Dominicans usually only drink on the weekends.

People complain but food is cheap here, and good to boot. Que viva la patria!

I am with you on that one,

Dios, Patria y Libertad.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I would think that copious amounts of white rice accompanying most every meal (even pasta) is completely unnecessary. Besides just filling you up is there any nutritional value to white rice? Plus juices with added sugars and soda are unnecessary.

Maybe this diet is ok for campesinos who work the land, walk the fields, and generally physically exert themselves daily but if you still eat like this and have a sedentary lifestyle it will show. I think that is why so many Domincans are overweight in US, too.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
A more sedentary lifestyle combined with diet and genetics? The basic diet hasn't changed that much but I'm sure people are eating more unhealthy processed food type snacks and killer sugary drinks than previous generations.

Soft Drink Consumption: The Frightening Statistics and Associated Health Risks!

Add the sedentary lifestyle to this, especially with the advent of high calory, heavily caffeinated "energy drinks" like Red Bull/ Cyclone, etc. and the populations are walking diabetes/ heart disease ticking time bombs.

List of energy drinks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Snacks used to consist of fruits and nuts. Now everything not loaded with transfats is considered unworthy as a snack food. When I was a kid raw sugar cane (peel 'n chew until the flavor's gone) was a penny candy.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Yes..................cereal eating, more tvs in households, more access to washing machines, affording food, eating more times a day, two or three times instead of once a day and eating more white bread instead of "viveres", eating more meats, especially chickens, better transportation to get around in turn Dominicans dont have to walk long distances.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes..................cereal eating, more tvs in households, more access to washing machines, affording food, eating more times a day, two or three times instead of once a day and eating more white bread instead of "viveres", eating more meats, especially chickens, better transportation to get around in turn Dominicans dont have to walk long distances.

I've eaten meals in numerous Dominican houses and in general, their suppers are not too unhealthy, but I've observed what children bring to school or eat for lunch and it is candy, crackers, or fried food. Yes with more transportation options and developing the same lazy habits as North Americans, Dominicans are getting fatter.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yeah not sure about that one. When I'm there I see people drinking EVERY DAY lol

No doubt people are drinking everyday here (hey I live in Santiago :) ) but at least from my extended network of friends and families mostly it is done on the weekends. And what one guy might drink in a weekend takes me two weeks to drink based on a beer and a sip of rum daily. Ahh, life is good. :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This explains why the Dominican gym sector is booming. Not that there were no gyms before, but now we're seeing more of the world-reknown-status-symbol types. Case in point, there's a relatively new Gold's Gym in Moca!!!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Soft Drink Consumption: The Frightening Statistics and Associated Health Risks!

Add the sedentary lifestyle to this, especially with the advent of high calory, heavily caffeinated "energy drinks" like Red Bull/ Cyclone, etc. and the populations are walking diabetes/ heart disease ticking time bombs.

List of energy drinks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Snacks used to consist of fruits and nuts. Now everything not loaded with transfats is considered unworthy as a snack food. When I was a kid raw sugar cane (peel 'n chew until the flavor's gone) was a penny candy.

Yea, but they dont tend to drink Red Bull and such in the DR. They DO get soda though on occasion, tend NEVER to drink plain water just because...I dont know. And WONT drink OJ if it isnt sweetened(another oddity). They do snack it up with chips and such, fans of chocolate but not other types of candies. And I d say somewhat sedentary BUT I think it is the overabundance of FRIED EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING FRIED. That is just not healthy. I used to get breakfast of eggs(which I love), sausages and OJ, then I had to whittle myself down to just a big plate of mashed yuca o mangu and unsweetened OJ. It was the only thing that wasnt super duper fried. The eggs were so greasy that I could do a lube job on a Packard, as was the ham. I d bet they even fry the toast if they could. But by itself it had TOOOOO much butter.

I know the incidence of strokes and heart disease has blown up drastically in the last 20 years.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Nope. Not at all. I only drink fruit related non carbonated, non alcoholic beverages. And since OJ is only 65 pesos(unsweetened). I get, I water it down and I m ok. That and the ubiquitously aforementioned pear nectar. HaHa.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Yea, but they dont tend to drink Red Bull and such in the DR. They DO get soda though on occasion, tend NEVER to drink plain water just because...I dont know. And WONT drink OJ if it isnt sweetened(another oddity). They do snack it up with chips and such, fans of chocolate but not other types of candies. And I d say somewhat sedentary BUT I think it is the overabundance of FRIED EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING FRIED. That is just not healthy. I used to get breakfast of eggs(which I love), sausages and OJ, then I had to whittle myself down to just a big plate of mashed yuca o mangu and unsweetened OJ. It was the only thing that wasnt super duper fried. The eggs were so greasy that I could do a lube job on a Packard, as was the ham. I d bet they even fry the toast if they could. But by itself it had TOOOOO much butter.

I know the incidence of strokes and heart disease has blown up drastically in the last 20 years.

True. They don't drink Red Bull because it's not available everywhere but they've got their own version of it called Ciclon. and the yunguns love it there. I'd never heard of it until I started hanging out in Santo Domingo.

Ciclon Energy Drink

You know the foods you describe are exactly what my Grandmothers cooked and raised my parents on but with one difference...all that fried fish, chicken, etc. was fried in LARD due to the higher burn temp....and the food was GREAT tasting and the LARD bicuits were dripping in butter and when the meal was over everyone went into a temporary paralysis but everyone was healthy and my parents lived fit lives all the way to their 80's as did most of their siblings. They only drank sodas as a mixer on cocktail nights.

I definitely think it's the sugar in the soft drinks that's weighing people down. Even packaged juices are loaded with sugar. Back in the day juices were squeezed from their fruits now everything is processed and some mystical syrup formula is used to (cut) flavor the juice. That and inactivity is making a difference in the D.R. and all over the World as we all become increasingly unhealthy as we (d?)evolve.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This explains why the Dominican gym sector is booming. Not that there were no gyms before, but now we're seeing more of the world-reknown-status-symbol types. Case in point, there's a relatively new Gold's Gym in Moca!!!!
For most gym goers it is just that - a status symbol. The benefits will never compare to incorporating physical activity into their daily routine.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Last time I went to DR, all the ladies drank Presidentes with Ciclon.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

They go to the gym to grow big muscles, and the number of Dominicans that can afford Gold's Gym fee's is not huge.
You are correct that gyms are popular and many girls go to them also, but the majority don't. We have the same problem here in Canada. I'm thankful both of my sons like to workout and play sports. My Dominican step-son plays soccer all year round, cross-country runs, and goes to the gym. No fat kids in this house.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yeah right, Dominicans are so fact that carros publicos transport six passengers in a single unit of a Toyota Corolla.
that's so stupid to compare DR obesity with the big problem I see where I live.

JJ

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
For most gym goers it is just that - a status symbol. The benefits will never compare to incorporating physical activity into their daily routine.

This is why I think there has to be more physical activity via sports leagues here. But first you need public parks, real American style public parks not public squares. Intramural sports would do great for the boys. The girls would be too lazy to do it though. Getting sweaty and messing up their hair is a no no.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I guess getting fatter is good for biz elsewhere, why not in the DR as well?

Body Shop Athletic Club is due to open their newer gym in Santo domingo at Av. Sarasota in Bella Vista.

The render:
66872_492404356488_192579026488_5544181_7031718_n.jpg

How it goes:
150029_176896282335838_100000464024664_596912_5034800_n.jpg

dsc01231nu.jpg

dsc01232v.jpg

Reactions: Bronxboy

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's the solution, that's progress. :tired:
More people driving more cars > getting fatter > driving themselves to sealed buildings to shed the weight...