Are Dominicans fatter than the past

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I had a neighbour here, originally from PR, who cited the dearth of McDonald's in the vicinity as an indicator of its backwardness and lack of sophistication.

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
Partially true, we also, the majority of us northern people, do not get as much physical activity in the Winter. I have, for as long as I can remember, always put on hibernation fat in the winter. This was true even when I was playing Hockey, Broom-ball, cross-country skiing...etc. Vitamin D - 2000 mg per day for me.

The vitamin D council recommends as much as 4000 to 5000 mg daily! I know I pop 5 a day. I also work out in my home gym during the winter, run outdoors in the summer.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Vitamin D Overdose

Although vitamin D is essential for health, a vitamin D overdose can threaten your health. It causes Hypervitaminosis D, a potentially serious condition that results from toxic levels of this vitamin in the body. As with any supplement, consultation with a physician before self treatment is critical.

Causes of Vitamin D Overdose

The body's daily requirement for vitamin D is relatively low. It naturally produces its daily supply from exposure to sunlight, the primary source of vitamin D. As little as 10 to 15 minutes of sunshine, at least three times a week, is enough to manufacture your body's vitamin D requirement.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Vitamin D Overdose

Although vitamin D is essential for health, a vitamin D overdose can threaten your health. It causes Hypervitaminosis D, a potentially serious condition that results from toxic levels of this vitamin in the body. As with any supplement, consultation with a physician before self treatment is critical.

Causes of Vitamin D Overdose

The body's daily requirement for vitamin D is relatively low. It naturally produces its daily supply from exposure to sunlight, the primary source of vitamin D. As little as 10 to 15 minutes of sunshine, at least three times a week, is enough to manufacture your body's vitamin D requirement.

better look at newer research

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
........ I even noticed that there were a lot less overweight people in the DR, than neighboring Puerto Rico.

The last time I was in Puerto Rico, about 2 1/2 years ago, I was in WalMart looking for regular beer and could only find "Light" beer.

One Puerto Rican woman customer said to us that they only sell "Light" beer because the Puerto Rican women were getting too fat......

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Well, I can tell ya that many years ago, back in the 70's and 80's, it was a rarity to see an obese person in this country.

I think HB will back me up on this one. It seemed like just about everyone was in pretty good shape.

Know what else I miss? Back then, women hardly ever used bras. I REALLY miss that.

Well back then everyone didnt think they were in good shape, they thought they were very skinny and if you were told, "Tu ta gordita", "you are chubby" or you gained weight, that was a compliment.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well back then everyone didnt think they were in good shape, they thought they were very skinny and if you were told, "Tu ta gordita", "you are chubby" or you gained weight, that was a compliment.
It used to be only rich people could afford to be fat. That's why Gout was called a disease of the rich. Now even the poor are fat. Actually it's from eating too much starch and carbohydrates.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
I am in amazement while in Santiago seeing many young women and girls with guts and jeans that are 3 sizes to small to present the fascade of naturally bodily curves then when the clothes come off plenty of fat and cottage cheese!!!!

May 12, 2005
I am in amazement while in Santiago seeing many young women and girls with guts and jeans that are 3 sizes to small to present the fascade of naturally bodily curves then when the clothes come off plenty of fat and cottage cheese!!!!

Guacala!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it must be part cooking habits and part moving habits, of which dominicans have none :) no one ever walks here, i swear. i see some individuals "walk" on the malecon in POP but i think it is more of a show off or just a type of social interaction. then we have all types of food cooked with large amounts of oil and comida de calle which is always fried. i also see it is hard for women to maintain their shape after their pregnancies especially seeing that doctors always prescribe cans of proteins for pregnant women who just keep on piling on calories.
sad reality but quite universal. polish society is also getting fatter and fatter. the dark side of progress...

Reactions: Bronxboy

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Cooking and moving is it. If you eat the fried foods but do NO physical activity you cant do anything BUT get fat.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i think it must be part cooking habits and part moving habits, of which dominicans have none :) no one ever walks here, i swear. i see some individuals "walk" on the malecon in POP but i think it is more of a show off or just a type of social interaction. then we have all types of food cooked with large amounts of oil and comida de calle which is always fried. i also see it is hard for women to maintain their shape after their pregnancies especially seeing that doctors always prescribe cans of proteins for pregnant women who just keep on piling on calories.
sad reality but quite universal. polish society is also getting fatter and fatter. the dark side of progress...

Both my wife and I loose weight when we are in Jarabacoa because it's a small town and almost everywhere we need to go is within walking distance, and parking is at a premium in the towntown area. The food is many fried but we eat mainly fruit and vegetables. The Catholic school in Jarabacoa has a very active sports program and the two or three gyms in town are always full. There are plenty of slim and fit people but there seems to be more baby beluga's than 10 years ago.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
seeing many young women and girls with guts and jeans that are 3 sizes to small to present the fascade of naturally bodily curves then when the clothes come off

did you take the clothes off many of them to check

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Both my wife and I loose weight when we are in Jarabacoa because it's a small town and almost everywhere we need to go is within walking distance, and parking is at a premium in the towntown area. The food is many fried but we eat mainly fruit and vegetables. The Catholic school in Jarabacoa has a very active sports program and the two or three gyms in town are always full. There are plenty of slim and fit people but there seems to be more baby beluga's than 10 years ago.
What I can say about Jarabacoa is that in my twenty years of corre caminos working with a briefcase in my hands I meet the honestest Dominican people in this town.
Never had problem with no one of the owners of supermarket, stores and pharmacy of Jarabacoa, good people all.

JJ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

paid parking? OMG. not here in POP... also, north coast in particular has a plague of motos so no one ever walks. i sometimes wonder how do poor folks live in SD?

we also eat lots of fruit and veggies but then miesposo's diet has changed ever since we live together, it is far less "dominican" so to speak.
to prove my point: lately i have been working longer hours to cover for a cajera who is on holidays. thus i no longer make lunch and miesposo eats at his mum's place. in two weeks he gained about 7 pounds, all in his gut. i, on the other hand, have lost weight because i do not eat the food they send me from suegra - it is too greasy and it has tons of sopita.

i would also like to note that all dominicans eat the same, really, the rich and the poor, since food of the rich is prepared by the poor. rich would have more meat but it will still be mainly fried and in a bucket of grease too.

what saddens me the most, however is seeing fat kids. way too many. our secretary's daughter is 2. her dinner is two chicken drumsticks, one chicken breats and platanos/yuka. wft? i would not eat that much and i am an adult!