Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Re: Is a mess alright

Forbeca said:
Even if you just say you're Dominican, they w/ tell you, Dominican, you don't look Dominican, you have to be mixed, so you have to start w/ the family history all over again

I get that nonsense all the time

I got it last week at a company dinner.

We were doing the usual political chit chat when you're in a gathering with co workers. I tell this woman I am Dominican and she says I don't look it.

SO I ask her " what does a Dominican look like?" I did this in a polite manner

She did not know what to say so she tells me " I thought you were italian like Anthony(another co worker)"

what a crock of of sh*T.

she did not want to say that she thought all Dominicans were black.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
what is this???

The term Latino or Hispanic is only relevant in the United States. Only the U.S. cares to have this classification as a matter of importance. This term is as useless as Caucasian.

I believe all nationalities should be recognized everywhere. We are Dominicans. Cubans are Cubans. Puerto Ricans are Puerto Ricans. Would you call a Pole or an Italian a Caucasian? Or an European?

If we travel to Brazil we are not Latinos, we are Dominicans or whatever nationality we come from. Are Arabs all the same? Iraquis are not Arabs, are they?

Now as for us, I would prefer to be divided as follows:
-Dominican-Yorks
-Chopos
-Sociedad or Alta Sociedad
-Haitianos

We have no middle ground. Chopos are everywhere in between the low classes and the upper middle class. For instance, sectors like Mirador Norte and El Millon, Ensanche Quisqueya, Los Prados, Restauradores and most of Urbanizacion Real are populated mostly by chopos, even though there are many upper middle class people living there. But their nature is Chopical.

All Haitians, their descendants and Haitian-Dominicans are Haitians no matter what the arrangement. Dominican-Yorks need no definition. I have been pretty clear with that.

La Sociedad and Alta Sociedad is a living style, a culture. You are either born with it or you are not. You walk like one, talk like one and your attitude is different.

Examples: Chopos are Wildrido Vargas, Juan Hubieres, our entire Junta Central Electoral, The entire senate minus Jose Tomas Perez, Juancito Sport(Juan De Los Santos), Henry Mejia, our Navy Chief, our Army Chief, our Civil Defense Chief(all generals), everyone who works for our Departamento de Meteorologia, 100% of buscones, colmadon owners and employees, including patrons, dominoes players regardless of color, Domingo Bautista, Carlos Batista Matos(El caro) Leonel Fernandez(the most educated chopo in the world)Hipolito Mejia, Mayor Francisco Pe?a(Santo Domingo Oeste)Antonio Marte(campesino/chopo, the worst speaker in the world), Police Chief Jaime Marte Martinez, Luis Manuel Aguilo, Guido Gomez Mazara, Attorney General Victor Cespedes(who over-pronounces every "s" in Spanish), Alvaro Arvelo, Eury Cabral.

Haitians are: Pe?a Gomez(dead), Mayor Lois(Louis) of Santo Domingo North, Sonia Pierre, Joseito Mateo, Ricardo Carty, Juana Arrendel, Johnny Ventura, Corporan De Los Santos, David Ortiz.

Dominican-Yorks and Chopos by nature: Emilio Angeles(a white man full of chrome,gold chains, and polyester) Mala Fe, Sex Appeal, Aventura(chopo chic) 99% of the Dominican communtiy in the U.S.A.

Society and High Society: Antonio P. Hache, Celso Perez, Jose Corripio, Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez, Juan Luis Guerra, Victor Gomez Berges and his son V.G. Casanova, Hatuey De Camps, Oscar De La Renta, sportsmen Julian Javier and Alex Rodriguez
Jose Enrique Sued(Santiago Mayor and only high society mayor in the country-the rest are chopos, including Roberto Salcedo)Tania Baez, Tita Hasbun, Ivonne Beras Goico, Luis Molina Achecar, Frank Rainieri(Dominican royalty) con-men Ramon Baez Figueroa and Luis Alvarez Renta.

TW

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Re: Re: TO TONY C

Tony C said:
Yes Indie the vast majority of Dominicans do have a mixture of bloods in them but the vast majority is of the black race.The vast majority of the blood mixtures that make us mulatos come from the black race?? Is that what you're saying? How do you know this? Did you personally analyze the blood-type, make-up and content, as well as drew up cultural genograms and genotypes for each and every one of the over 8 million Dominicans on the mainland? Please clarify. (Or are you simply still saying that the vast majority of Dominicans are Black? In that case, no, Tony, the vast majority of Dominicans are mulato.)

Tony C said:
Disagree with me if you want but there is no way you can call most Domincans Latin and be correct. Although the term Latino in itself isn't correct (for Dominicans) because it doesn't encompass our Black and Taino ancestry, our Black and Taino ancestry alone isn't what makes us Dominican. And although the term Latino does correctly encompass our Spanish and French origin and colonizations, more so than the term "Hispanic", this also doesn't define us as Dominicans.

The question was, "Are Dominicans Latino or Hispanic?" Given a choice between the two, I feel the term "Latino/a" is more appropriate, which is also what I prefer to be called, if ever a label were necessary.

So besides "Dominicans", Tony, what would you call us and be correct? ( << I realize I'm leaving this wide open for all the usual pithy wisecracks and insults, but just for one moment I'm going to pretend we're all mature adults who'll stick to the subject...)

Tony C said:
Dominicans should not call themselves African. African implies nationality. A Person can be white and be African. A person from Morrocco or Algeria is African but not Black.Hmmm....Interesting. But since you incorrectly say that the majority of the DR population is Black, by that rationale, should we incorrectly call ourselves "Black", then?

Tony C said:
Can we at least agree that the term "Hispanic" Sucks? Sure, I can agree that it's an incorrect term/label.

-Indie

Last edited:

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Latins are Arabs!!

Except for all original tribes of West Indians all Latinos have a good mix of Arab and African blood....

So stop beating on my buddy AZB.....

Missing.......the original Indian......

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Golo100 said:
I believe all nationalities should be recognized everywhere. We are Dominicans. Cubans are Cubans. Puerto Ricans are Puerto Ricans. Would you call a Pole or an Italian a Caucasian? Or an European?

But that still w/not be correct; it does not identify your ancestry. In other words, when I say I'm Latina, I expect my audience to understand what that means immediately, I don't want to be grouped w/ all the other dominicans of Black and Taino ancestry.

Last edited:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Golo,

JAJAJA- That was hilarious!!!Well done!!!:laugh:
I didnt know Dominicans fell under such colorful categories.

Indie:
As per request, Spic remark removed. Please accept my apologies if I offended you in anyway.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
If you have a big nose....

cmedina07 said:
I get that nonsense all the time...she did not want to say that she thought all Dominicans were black.
and thick lips? Then she could've mistaken you for an Italian Jew.

The term "spic" isn't new is it? Thought it also referred to Italians and Portuguese a long time back.....Latinos in other words.

Somebody remarked that Iraqis weren't Arabs.....think they are, except Kurds [who want a completely separate identity] greatly dispute that. You may be thinking of Iranians [Persians] who are not Semites.

P

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Re: Tony

Tony C said:
I repeat myself!

"For me Latino means of latin ancestry. Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Greece, Albania and Romania."

Most Mexicans are of Indian(Native American for you PC types) ancestry. Aztec, Mayan, and other smaller groups. South American Countries like Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador have a majority population of the Same. Inca and various others.

Blacks are of African Ancestry.

Isn't it obvious?

Just because a person is from a Country found by the Spanish and the language is Castillian it doesn't make them latin.
I am of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian ancestry. If i was born in Iran and spoke Farsi it would make me Iranian by Nationality but I would still be Latin in ethnicity. Just because a person is Dominican by nationality it does not make them Latin.

Tony, I see your point but respectfully disagree with you in some aspects since the term latino is most likely used to make reference to a person from a third world country in the Americas.

But hey, you call yourself whatever makes you feel more comfortable. Thats fine by me, who am I to say!

When asked about ethnicity, I always like to say I am part Romulan.

:alien:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Forbeca said:
I don't want to be grouped w/ all the other dominicans of Black and Taino ancestry.

how about you? your ancestry? also wondering

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I once went to a lecture about racism,and ethnicity

given by Dr.Alvin Pousant of Harvard Univ.
He related how that the "Southern States",in the US had "Laws" determining who was considered to be "Black"! In most states you were a "Black" if both your grandparents were "Black",or your great grand parents,on down the line.The laws said anyone with 1/2,or 1/4,or 1/8 black blood were black.He said that in one state you would be considered "Black" if you had only 1/38th black blood! "You know what that means?" he asked us.Of course no one said anything! "I'll tell you what it means". He said,"Black Blood is very very POWERFUL!!!!!!!

I'm sure that even "Indie" has heard what Dominicans say about "Black Blood"...."Every Dominican has a little "Black" behind their ear!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Criss:
I'm sure that even "Indie" has heard what Dominicans say about "Black Blood"...."Every Dominican has a little "Black" behind their ear!
Yes, of course I have heard this. I also never disputed this, so I wonder why you need to mention my name in reference to that statement.

pasha: No, that derogatory term isn't new. It's as old as all the other ones that were given to many other nationalities; races; ethnic groups, etc.

samiam: Thank you, but you didn't offend me personally in any way. It was kind of you to remove it, though.

-Indie

Pepebe

Oct 15, 2003
Hispanic or Latino, I don't care as long as....

... they don't clasify it under: RACE.
To me grouping people by ethnicity is OK, but I don't understand why they can't get it through their thick skull that ethnicity is not equal to race.
There are white, black, mulato, oriental, native indians, and east indian (each one of the previous is a race) hispanics or latinos.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
For those of you (especially the Dominicans) without pictures in the media gallery...what are you waiting for?

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
If I ever put my picture on that media gallery, it'll be a black and white one, since apparently for many of us, those are the only colors we can see.

-Indie

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
this thread

this thread is starting to make the gun and penis envy thread look positively enlightened

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: I once went to a lecture about racism,and ethnicity

Criss Colon said:
Every Dominican has a little "Black" behind their ear!

WRONG!
Sorry CC but we have disagreed on that before.

I love it when I tell people that I am married to a Dominican. I can see the wheels spinning in their heads. "He Married a Black Woman"
Then when they meet my wife they always say; "I thought you said your wife was Dominican!"
There are Dominicans without a drop of Black blood. Please remember that Dominican is a Nationality not a Ethnicity!

Golo,
Juan Luis Guerra? Are you F*cking kidding me?
Alex Rodriguez? Great Guy! A credit to his people. But a member of high Society? Nope.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Comments here and there......

I have been reminded by CCCCCCCthat according to Dr. Poussant all Dominicans have a "a little black behind their ears". Criss you hit it almost 100% right. I can't say that every Dominican born here with a Dominican cedula has black in him/her. But more than 90% do.

I confess I have some black in my family root. I heard that my great, great grandmother was a dark woman. Two of my brothers had darker skin than my sister and myself. One of them had darker lip and gums. I definetly have chinese in my blood, but my mother and family were 100% Spaniards.

When I lived in Georgia back in the late 60's I was so dark from going to the beach that my fellow students(100% white southeners) used to tell me I was black. Yet, my body skin is so light that in parts you could see my veins. Besides, blacks don't have straight hair.

I forgot to mention a type of Dominican who is in limbo and rather isolated from the rest...."el Jabao" Jabaos could be combination of black with albino or some weird mix. But jabaos have kinky hair and light skin, with thick negro lips. Jabaos are mostly poor.

Tony C....I tried to place some sports figures in the society and high society group to balance the whole thing. The reason I placed Alex Rodriguez there had more to do with his style and class among Dominican blooded athletes. He fits into the "society" group not the "high society". Alex is easily accepted in society and high society levels with the ease of a real society person. He even plays golf, acts like society level person naturally and married within this level. You take stars of equivalent sports status like Pedro Martinez, Manny Ramirez and society people feel uncomfortable sharing space with them, except for sports related moments. Sammy Sosa has carved a space for him in society because of his high level contacts in U.S., Dominican politics and business. But he is still a chopo.

Juan Luis Guerra has the Guerra bloodlines. The Guerras are a society family with broad influence in many levels of Dominican society. I used to go out with a Guerra girl. These girls were all Miss Universe quality. Amelia Vega, JLG's niece is a society girl.

I would also like to mention a former Yankee player, Mario Guerrero, who fits into the society sports group. Of course, the top society sports figures in DR are the Ieromazzo sisters, horse jumping champs.

TW

Status
Not open for further replies.