Are Dominicans "Latino" or "Hispanic"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Some say Potato some say....

I particularly like the term Latino. I think it makes more sence in a geographical sort of way.

Hispanic does not include other nations that conquered the americas, such as the Portuguese. So, what are they going to call the Brasilians?OK, they play better futebol than everyone else in the continent and have the best looking women around, but they are an important cultural, political and economic part of our continent. Their influence transcends their borders as ours transcends thru theirs, so I believe they should be included in that ethnic group and that ethnic group should have a name that does not exclude their Portuguese heritage (although Brasilians always make fun of the Portugese).

The term 'Hispaninc' refers to the Spanish origin of our culture, as the article accurately pointed out. As much as this fact is undeniable, our latin heritage is a bit more complex than a mixture of conquistador and conquistado blood. Every ethnic group the Spanish conquered (including the slaves from africa they used) were very different from one another. That is why our caribbean culture(predominantly black) is quite different from Argentinies (predominantly european) and Mexicans, with their blend of Aztec and Mayan influence, are quite defferent from Peruvians with their Inca influence. The term latino I think is a bit more universal in that way.

What i really believe is this term thing doesnt really matter much.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I hate the term Hispanic! What the hell does that mean?
Hispanic was a term forced on us by the Liberal left to bolster their power. "Group everybody together with the Mexicans that way we can say that Latinos are Democrats".

I have asked before in this fourm. What do I have in Common with The Majority of Mexicans? Salavdoran? Bolivians?

Race? I am Latin they are Indians.
Politics? GOP Here. Most mexicans are Gov. tit sucking liberals.
Music? I hate that polka based crap.
Food? Please?
Language? Barely. What the hell does "ese" really mean anyway?

Latino? For me Latino means of latin ancestry. Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Greece, Albania and Romania.
The Dominican Population is made up of various races but the majority are Black! Deal with it!

In the US they like to place everybody in one big package. I refuse to be. Call me politically incorrect. Call me racist. I don't care.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Tony

What do you mean you are latin? What is that? More european than Inca or Black?

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Pasha:

Sometime in 1998, I remember at work I was handed a computer print-out which contained my personal information. I was asked to look it over and correct any errors or omissions. Well, the only error I found was the word "Hispanic" typed onto the "Ethnicity/Race" category that supposedly "best" described me. I quickly crossed it out and wrote "Latina". The words were changed, and nothing was ever said about it (to me).

That experience may have been brushed off as a matter of semantics to some, but to this day, I feel very strongly about the meaning and description of those words, because I feel that the term "Hispanic" is neither politically-correct nor, more importantly, accurate. "Hispanic" does not properly include all of our ancestry, neither geographically nor culturally-speaking. Therefore, as a Dominican, I have always preferred the term Latina, and I think Dominicans in general should be referred to as Latinos, since our country (at times) was colonized by both Spain and France.

(Good thread, by the way.)

samiam: We don't have--and have never had-- a 'spic' heritage. Please remove that very insulting and derogatory word from your vocabulary. Thank you.

-Indie

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Tony

samiam said:
What do you mean you are latin? What is that? More european than Inca or Black?

I repeat myself!

"For me Latino means of latin ancestry. Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Greece, Albania and Romania."

Most Mexicans are of Indian(Native American for you PC types) ancestry. Aztec, Mayan, and other smaller groups. South American Countries like Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador have a majority population of the Same. Inca and various others.

Blacks are of African Ancestry.

Isn't it obvious?

Just because a person is from a Country found by the Spanish and the language is Castillian it doesn't make them latin.
I am of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian ancestry. If i was born in Iran and spoke Farsi it would make me Iranian by Nationality but I would still be Latin in ethnicity. Just because a person is Dominican by nationality it does not make them Latin.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
TO TONY C

The Dominican Population is made up of various races but the majority are Black! Deal with it!
You are incorrect. The majority of Dominicans are mulatos. Deal with it!

(And assuming you were right, WHICH YOU AREN'T, should we Dominicans therefore call ourselves Africans?)

-Indie

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Indie said:
....That experience may have been brushed off as a matter of semantics to some, but to this day, I feel very strongly about the meaning and description of those words.....
I'd never given it much thought before, but once the subject is broached as in that article, there does in fact seem to be some clear distinctions between the more or less all-inclusive Latino versus the restrictive Hispanic. And that distinction can best be appreciated by people who stem from one or the other. Maybe that committee should have put it to some popular refendum....or would that have led to a never ending fight?

Best, P

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: TO TONY C

Indie said:
You are incorrect. The majority of Dominicans are mulatos. Deal with it!

(And assuming you were right, WHICH YOU AREN'T, should we Dominicans therefore call ourselves Africans?)

-Indie

Yes Indie the vast majority of Dominicans do have a mixture of bloods in them but the vast majority is of the black race.
Disagree with me if you want but there is no way you can call most Domincans Latin and be correct.
Dominicans should not call themselves African. African implies nationality. A Person can be white and be African. A person from Morrocco or Algeria is African but not Black.

Can we at least agree that the term "Hispanic" Sucks?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
The term Hispanic sucks. I agree w/ you 100%. I'd prefer the Latino term as it more correctly defines my ancestry.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Re: Re: TO TONY C

Tony C said:
Disagree with me if you want but there is no way you can call most Domincans Latin and be correct.

same applies to cuba,puerto rico.

I bring them up because they are the other two islands in the carribean that speak spanish as their main language.

there is so much mixture of cultures.

I would rather use Latino instead of Hispanic.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Re: Re: TO TONY C

cmedina07 said:
same applies to cuba,puerto rico.

I bring them up because they are the other two islands in the carribean that speak spanish as their main language.

there is so much mixture of cultures.

I would rather use Latino instead of Hispanic.

Among Cubans you are either Black, White(latino) or Mulatto. Actually we usually just say Cubano!
I'll be the first to admit that Cuban's in general are extremely Racist. More so than even Dominicans. For years when i was a kid i thought that Celia Cruz's first name was "Esta Negra!"

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Main Entry: His?pan?ic
Pronunciation: hi-'spa-nik
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin hispanicus, from Hispania Iberian Peninsula, Spain
Date: circa 1889
: of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the U.S.; especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin
Funny that you're only Hispanic, according to Webster's, if you live in the U.S. I had always interpreted the term "Hispanic" to mean "descended of those conquered by the Spanish".

What's also funny is that the term "Hispanic" is being rejected and yet would seem appropriate considering the island is, after all, called Hispaniola. But then, if it were so, Haitians would also be labeled Hispanic, which they definitely are not. Hmmmm.

Personally, I would also prefer Latino, but only because Hispanic seems a bit out of date and is responsible for spawning the awful term "spic". Bleh.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Jane J. said:

Personally, I would also prefer Latino, but only because Hispanic seems a bit out of date and is responsible for spawning the awful term "spic". Bleh.

now you know you why I prefer it also

Miami Cubans were the firsts ones to experience this.

they would say to Americans "I don't spic English" they were unable to pronounce speak properly

they were called spics because of this and the term was associated with hispanics. I would prefer Dominican but then people want to get technical and want to know what type of Dominican.

it's a huge mess!!

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Afro-Carribean???

I think that this term most accurately reflects both the African,and the Carribean heritage of about 85% of all Dominicans.So my kids would be "Amer-Euro-Afri-Carribeans"????
Paaaaaaleeeeeze! When you start to arbitrarily "classify" people into groups,you are headed down a slippery slope to bigotry!

One persons "Brown",is another persons "Black"!

CC

"Medina",Nice Try! But your derivision of the word "Spic" is Hi"SP"an"IC"!

Last edited:

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Is a mess alright

Even if you just say you're Dominican, they w/ tell you, Dominican, you don't look Dominican, you have to be mixed, so you have to start w/ the family history all over again

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Re: Afro-Carribean???

Criss Colon said:

"Medina",Nice Try! But your derivision of the word "Spic" is Hi"SP"an"IC"!

lol

I tried ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.