Are Temporary Visa fairly easy to get ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As someone said, you might be in the wrong country with those values:bandit:

P.S Sorry, could not resist, peace.

No need to be sorry, we all have our opinions and preferences. My dislike of people being illegal in a country is independent of the country I live in. I take the time, trouble and effort to be legal. That is why I feel as I do. It in no way makes me to feel like I should be somewhere else because another person is fine with being illegal here. Why should it?

At least the OP started out looking for a way to be legal and then has apparently descended into an approach of just coming in as a tourist, staying and trying to find a job. Good luck with that.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
No need to be sorry, we all have our opinions and preferences. My dislike of people being illegal in a country is independent of the country I live in. I take the time, trouble and effort to be legal. That is why I feel as I do. It in no way makes me to feel like I should be somewhere else because another person is fine with being illegal here. Why should it?

At least the OP started out looking for a way to be legal and then has apparently descended into an approach of just coming in as a tourist, staying and trying to find a job. Good luck with that.

I respect your decisions and also agree that it is the right thing to do, be legal in the country.

This country has however made it easy to overstay, if not many would have made more effort to become legal (or not visit)

Myself had a window of three months last year when home to apply for a visa, but that for several reasons was not enough.
Mainly because the DR does not have consulary services in my home country.

Now I have overstayed once more one year, but will apply for visa next visit in my homeland.

Do I feel like a criminal or treated like one. No. But I prefer that my better half drive the car, **** could happen.

And yes, we never know when/if the DR government changes its lax practice in this matter.

Best of luck to the OP, and if you want to work here, try hard to get a visa!

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
Gentlemen, ladies, please keep the peace and keep in mind that what is easy is not always what is right.

Mm530, please keep in mind that not any kind of visa will allow you to work in the country. For example, an immigrant with a tourist visa is not allowed to work in the country, legally. Please remind your friend that he has to regulate his current migration status to be legal.

Eltow, constantly paying for overstay penalties does not have a negative consequense 'in the real world' yet but it is in the law. I am glad you will regulate your status once you return to your country; if there isnt a Dominican Consulate or a Embassy in your country, we can confirm with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which demarcation applies to you.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Gentlemen, ladies, please keep the peace and keep in mind that what is easy is not always what is right.

Mm530, please keep in mind that not any kind of visa will allow you to work in the country. For example, an immigrant with a tourist visa is not allowed to work in the country, legally. Please remind your friend that he has to regulate his current migration status to be legal.

Eltow, constantly paying for overstay penalties does not have a negative consequense 'in the real world' yet but it is in the law. I am glad you will regulate your status once you return to your country; if there isnt a Dominican Consulate or a Embassy in your country, we can confirm with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which demarcation applies to you.

Your posts are excellent and informative

Apr 7, 2014
40000 pesos dominicano? Thats like less than $800 US. Thats only enough funds for 3 weeks in the US. You wont get a visa with that.

Or $40000 US? For $40K you can live in SD for 3-4 yrs.

Tug7777

Mar 17, 2018
I think you all might be overlooking one key point from the OP... "( I will live with a friend rent free)".

If I have no rent to pay, I can live for a long time on $40K here, especially if I'm sharing groceries and other expenses!

You can always live like The hobo traveler $530 usd a month,,,