Are there any Starbucks Coffee in Dominican Republic?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Cofee", that's funny...reminds me of an old joke about a football player who was great on the field but not so good in the classroom. Coach asked him to spell just one letter right of just one word right: Coffee. The guy really struggled and finally said : Coffee: K A W P H Y!!

Anyway, every place in the airport has coffee...it is a Dominican thing. No, they don't have Mocha-Cinnamon Latte or whatever Starbuck$ sells, but it is good an cheap...

HB

For those that like good mountain grown coffee there are three options: Julia Alvarez' coffee grown in Jarabacoa; another one from Jarabacoa,grown by the Ramirez clan, and Caf? Melo grown in the mountains of Neiba..

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For those that like good mountain grown coffee there are three options: Julia Alvarez' coffee grown in Jarabacoa; another one from Jarabacoa,grown by the Ramirez clan, and Caf? Melo grown in the mountains of Neiba..

HB, where do you buy those, are they available in stores or do you have to go there? We usually buy about 20 pounds of whole bean coffee to take home with us [Santo Domingo or Induban], but we'd love to try something new. We don't even own an American coffee maker - in our house guests get Dominican coffee or nuttin'.

Starbucks sells semi-decent espresso coffee for a ridiculous price. I've always thought that someone somewhere in SD should sell iced coffee drinks - McDonalds has them there and they're pretty good, I wonder if they sell them there too?

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, places like Caribbean Coffee with branches in several locations including the Bella Vista Mall food court and several other places like the trendier bakeries have a long list of options like this.

You can buy Monte Alto coffee at larger supermarkets, but the Melo brand is not so easily available.

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
HB, where do you buy those, are they available in stores or do you have to go there? We usually buy about 20 pounds of whole bean coffee to take home with us [Santo Domingo or Induban], but we'd love to try something new. We don't even own an American coffee maker - in our house guests get Dominican coffee or nuttin'.

Starbucks sells semi-decent espresso coffee for a ridiculous price. I've always thought that someone somewhere in SD should sell iced coffee drinks - McDonalds has them there and they're pretty good, I wonder if they sell them there too?

When you walk into Mega centro fron entrance you will see a satelite Cafe cart that also sells ice frap.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i tried frappuccino type coffee drink in pricesmart's cafe. oh, the bliss!
and i make my own frappuccino too:
freeze some milk (in ice bags). brew coffee, add lots of sugar, leave to cool. in a blender mix cold coffee, cold milk, ice and frozen milk cubes. you can flavour it with chocolate or caramel syrup. put whipped cream on the top. pour chocolate/caramel syrup on the top. decorate with chocolate shavings.
starbucks, you dirty capitalist pig, eat that! :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yummy recipe!

i tried frappuccino type coffee drink in pricesmart's cafe. oh, the bliss!
and i make my own frappuccino too:
freeze some milk (in ice bags). brew coffee, add lots of sugar, leave to cool. in a blender mix cold coffee, cold milk, ice and frozen milk cubes. you can flavour it with chocolate or caramel syrup. put whipped cream on the top. pour chocolate/caramel syrup on the top. decorate with chocolate shavings.
starbucks, you dirty capitalist pig, eat that! :)

Yum! Now I have to go and have one today!!!! Who needs Starbucks?! :bunny:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

I recommend the Ramirez Bros. Cafe Monte Alto. They will give an interesting tour of their entire process from seedlings to coffee in their coffee shop.

Interesting factoid: they spend an enormous amount of time sorting beans by quality, mechanically, by spectrometer, and finally by 30 women picking poor beans off a conveyor. Monte Alto only roasts and sells premium grade coffee. The beans that don't make the cut? They get wholesaled the big coffee processors...;)

Their website is: Cafe Monte Alto of Jarabacoa.

I know these folks well...

cougar

Jan 27, 2009
it's starbucks produces such a horrible product and they stilll get buissness i don't know how they do it?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
it's starbucks produces such a horrible product and they stilll get buissness i don't know how they do it?

Status coffee. People like to walk around with their coffee cups for others to see. It's only a horrible product if you compare it to Dominican espresso coffee. As far as American coffee goes it's tasty, but ridiculously priced. I personally would never pay $5.00 for a cup of coffee just on principal - I can buy a pound of Cafe Santo Domingo en Grano at Plaza Lama for about 75 pesos and make coffee for a long time. With the economic downturn in the US, Starbucks has taken a hit and many have closed shop.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I did things the Dominican way while living there: I like ice coffee and they couldn't wrap thier mind around that idea. I ordered a coffee and a glass of ice on the side. I poured the hot coffee into the glass of ice. Instant ice coffee. It was not the best but it was cold.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
...... For those that like good mountain grown coffee there are three options: Julia Alvarez' coffee grown in Jarabacoa; another one from Jarabacoa,grown by the Ramirez clan, and Caf? Melo grown in the mountains of Neiba..

I wish that I had seen this post before going to Jarabacoa this morning.

While there visiting my friend, someone brought over 3 bags of Jarabacoa Coffee.
My friend said that his uncle makes it.

The name of the Coffee is: Cafe Rivera de Yaque.

I might try to get some and see how it is.

Don

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I wish that I had seen this post before going to Jarabacoa this morning.

While there visiting my friend, someone brought over 3 bags of Jarabacoa Coffee.
My friend said that his uncle makes it.

The name of the Coffee is: Cafe Rivera de Yaque.

I might try to get some and see how it is.

Don

There several other options for coffeee in Jarabacoa also. Let us know how the stuff you bought tastes.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Well,
... unbeknown to me, the wife, brought back a free package which I was unaware of until I saw her making coffee.

I misspelled the name, it's: Cafe Ribera del Yaque

It's made by: Asociacion de Caficultores de Jarabacoa (ASCAJA)

The costs: $150 pesos per pound

The aroma from the package is different then what I am used to with Santo Domingo Coffee. Waiting for the brewing results at this time. I'm not a coffee buff, it's has a sorta sweet rosie aroma in the package.

And the wife saids: It's GOOD!

Don

Danbbb

Feb 3, 2010
Are there any star bucks in Punta Cana?
Would it survive with tourism and younger culture?

May 29, 2006
I don't think you will find many people who have had Dominican coffee who prefer Starbucks. Almost all coffee shops make espresso to order for under US$1 and you can get it for cheaper once you get out of the tourist zones.

Starbucks does have shops in Puerto Rico, Brazil and Mexico, but I think they are still a few years away from getting into the DR.

Dominican coffee makes a great gift to bring back to the US. You can get single pot bags for 5 pesos each or a pound for 80 pesos. The most popular brand by far is Cafe Molido Santo Domingo. To make it at home, you need an a stovetop coffee maker like this:

aluminum-stovetop-espresso-maker-1-cup.jpg

Nov 25, 2008
if you ever see Starbucks in the DR, it will have the same amount of people entering as Haagen Dazs, all show and no profit.
people still like to **** money away in investments that go no where

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
This is soooo funny....I've been sending bags of STARBUCKS to a gal pal in SD the past few months...she took a bag to the office (Colombian Fair Trade) and she says they went nuts over it! Less acidic than the DR grown coffees she said...

I just boxed up some more for them, since I got emails from her staff THANKING ME for the "taste from America"!

Unfortunately for me, I am down to my last bag of Cafe Santo Domingo...I love the stuff...this whole thing reminds me of when Coors Beer was not available EAST of the Mississippi River...it was GOLD to those of us in Florida when we got hold of a case or two....now a days, I won't drink the stuff......yuck

I guess it's true, we all WANT what we can't have or easily get!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I think Starbucks would be successful in The DR - at least a couple of them anyway. I can see one working out in some place like Acropolis or one of the new malls being built, definitely at the airports (Punta Cana, La Romana, Santo Domingo). You probably wouldn't see ME there except maybe if they have free Wifi, but not for the coffee. The rich, the American wannabe Dominicans and Americans who live down there or visit would make this a viable business IMO.

I like my Dominican coffee brewed by those old ladies who really know how to use a Greca or even more old school a Colador. That to me is the best.

?

? bient?t

or even more old school a Colador. That to me is the best.

Now we're talking! And have you had it with enemoc? (nuez moscada)?
Delicios?simamente delicioso. And how 'bout ponche hecho con molenillo? As we say in the trailer park: It don't get no better.