Are there any Starbucks Coffee in Dominican Republic?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
who wants to eat in lousy macdonald when you can make your own 100% real burgers? it takes all kind of people, i tell ya...

May 29, 2006
This thread reminds me of the joke about selling ice boxes to Eskimos.

Who wants to drink the sad tasting coffee from Starbucks when you have what we grow and sell here?

Wasn't there a time when they were importing sugar into the DR?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they still do, la sirena sells shurfresh sugar, methink it's an american company?

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Wasn't there a time when they were importing sugar into the DR?

In the 80's there was a real sugar shortage in DR. All you could find was brown sugar. Maybe some beige sugar. My family hated it ! It was such a big deal for them. I was a kid so I didn't really understand.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
why some of you think there won't ever be a starbucks here is beyond me.

like i said near the beginning of this thread.

there is a starbucks in the DR.

it is near the marina/cinema in casa de campo.

it has been there for some time.

it hardly ever has any customers.

it is over-priced and crap.

similar to most other starbucks around the world.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
why some of you think there won't ever be a starbucks here is beyond me.

like i said near the beginning of this thread.

there is a starbucks in the DR.

it is near the marina/cinema in casa de campo.

it has been there for some time.

it hardly ever has any customers.

it is over-priced and crap.

similar to most other starbucks around the world.

Is it a true StarBucks? or a Knockoff. there have been many of those there, starting with McDowels(looked just like McDonalds), then Hooters that I am aware of.

This mentions Mexico and Puerto Rico as the only latin america sites so far with plans for chile an peru

http://www.luxner.com/cgi-bin/view_article.cgi?articleID=1137

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
If a McDonalds, Burger King, TGIFs can make it here, so can a Starbucks. The price alone for a cup of java will prevent many dominicans from buying it and that's just fine for the status/society types. It will be status thing a place to be seen. The young hipsters will flock to it.

This is the reason why if it they do build it it in Santo Domingo... they will come.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
bienamor .... yes it is real.

if you google 'starbucks casa de campo' you will see a lot of links starting from around 2008.

Casa de Campo Living Starbuck Coffee now available at the Marina!

the link you give, if you don't mind me saying so, is dated 2003.

boch

.....oh yes.....and one good thing going for it is that it does have free internet.
Sorry, but they serve Starbucks coffee (that you can get in US grocery stores) but they are NOT a Starbucks Coffee Shop.

At least according to their January 20, 2010 disclosure statement:

Starbucks Corporation: International Partnership Summary 1/20/2010

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Sorry, but they serve Starbucks coffee (that you can get in US grocery stores) but they are NOT a Starbucks Coffee Shop.

At least according to their January 20, 2010 disclosure statement:

Starbucks Corporation: International Partnership Summary 1/20/2010

sounds just like hooters, they had all the stuff but when you wanted to take pictures the stopped us. my link may have been from 2003 but they are not real. does not claim to be one. thats better than the hooters we had in the capital, they claimed to be the real deal

from the prior link

That’s right! Starbuck’s brand coffee is now being served at the Coconut Mall at the Casa de Campo Marina. In fact, they happen to also represent a few other interesting brands, like the Cheesecake Factory! And the best part… FREE WIFI!! It’s almost like being in Seattle… but with better weather.

says nothing about being a starbucks, just their coffee and cheesecake factory's cheesecake.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Why on earth would you want one! Worst cup of coffee I have ever tasted, and you can't hardly get just a regular coffee!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I was at the marina of casa de campo last week, there s a small mall just outside the marina where they supposedly serve Starbucks coffee (proudly). It was closed though and looked abandoned.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I was at the marina of casa de campo last week, there s a small mall just outside the marina where they supposedly serve Starbucks coffee (proudly). It was closed though and looked abandoned.

Hmm, ok if I would have read the forecast page first I would have seen that es already mentioned 2 years ago....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
if it does open, Dominicans will flock to it in the beginning, to say that they are part of the in crowd. then they will go right back to their espresso sized cups with a half pound of sugar.