Are things really getting better??

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
There seems to be a lot good news lately posted in DR1, International & local papers, etc. about the improving economic standing & prominence of the DR. Not only as a central (key) area of the world but also as a mover & shaker in Latin America.

Apparently, Leonel has been doing his job much better than expected. He's been running the country like nobody's business!! It's interesting to point out the significance that this implies for the future well-being of our very poor but potentially wealthier nation.

Maybe it's all subjective, but I haven't read this much good news lately since Hippo was ousted!

I wonder if this perceived (apparent) economic improvement there, makes or has been making a real impact on our very poor!

You who lives there, can answer this question best: Is it business as usual or do you see an improvement overall?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Don Juan said:
There seems to be a lot good news lately posted in DR1, International & local papers, etc. about the improving economic standing & prominence of the DR. Not only as a central (key) area of the world but also as a mover & shaker in Latin America.

Apparently, Leonel has been doing his job much better than expected. He's been running the country like nobody's business!! It's interesting to point out the significance that this implies for the future well-being of our very poor but potentially wealthier nation.

Maybe it's all subjective, but I haven't read this much good news lately since Hippo was ousted!

I wonder if this perceived (apparent) economic improvement there, makes or has been making a real impact on our very poor!

You who lives there, can answer this question best: Is it business as usual or do you see an improvement overall?

It's a seasonal illusion, people are going around with a grin on their faces because they just cashed in their Christmas bonuses. Wait February and March, it'll be a different story, the grin will turn into a grimace.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Seems like the corruption and bureaukracie are as bad as ever. Impossible to get things done without filling a lot of pockets.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I always keep a sharp eye out for the prices of food as that is an essential in life and I can say that the prices of food has lowered since the Bald Monkeys reign. All other items, other than food, are not essential and therefore I really can't comment on them except for gasoline and GLP which are way up but out of the control of the government.

I keep hearing the PRD lovers crying that there is no money in the streets but if this is true then I have a hard time understanding how the organization of colmados, forgot their name, has reported a 20% increase in sales. Hard to believe it's only the rich people buying food. But then again I'm a foreigner so what do I know.

Rick

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
more like May, June, July.....

Mirador said:
It's a seasonal illusion, people are going around with a grin on their faces because they just cashed in their Christmas bonuses. Wait February and March, it'll be a different story, the grin will turn into a grimace.

August, September, October and November. These are the slow months for the country's largest industry. Tourism!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I also usually look at food prices, and some has been lowered As Rick stated, not rescently though. Rice, chicken, coffee..for instance has lower prices.
Some other items though, are more expensive, while some has not changed at all ( i.e bread, butter, cheese etc ).
Prices in my colmado are higher now than a year ago.
Prices in general, for instance on furniture are higher.
Local transportation prices the same ( i.e publico, guaguas, motoconchos, ruta busses ).

On the streets in general, I see no difference or indication that people have more money in the pockets than say a year ago.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Rick Snyder said:
I have a hard time understanding how the organization of colmados, forgot their name, has reported a 20% increase in sales. Hard to believe it's only the rich people buying food. But then again I'm a foreigner so what do I know.

Rick

I agree Rick. Can it be higher prices ( more profits ), and that more prefer to buy their daily needs there, instead of the supermercado?
Or do people drink/smoke more, as that are 2 of the items where the colmado owners have a good profit in comparence to many other products they sell?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I don't know what things are, but its not better.

Prices are still really high, and businesses are closing left and right.

The government has just come up with a clever new plan to delay DR CAFTA and still charge everyone for "all the money they'll be losing".

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:

Jeeze, Angel...you "leftists" are so pessimistic.

:)

Edited to include: What happened? Was Mr. Movies all out of "The Motorcycle Diaries"?

;)

Scandall

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Stable Prices

Well, you don't have hyper-inflation. I'd say that's a very good thing.

-Helpmann :smoke:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The economy is in the best position it could be, period!

Anyone saying anything opposite is either dilusional, in disbelief, or wish it wasn't so.

How can you get 7% economic growth after a severe crisis and still consider the economy to be bad?

This is equivalent ot failing an exam and then retaking the exam and passing with As. How can anyone say such thing is bad?

(These are rhetorical questions, thus don't answer them, just think about them).

-NAL

crm

May 5, 2004
i agree with nals on this one

the country appear to be on the right track. of course the poor people on the street will continue to whine. thats what poor people do. however the tangible statistics don't lie. these tangible statistics are what investors look at before bringing money and jobs into this country. i could care less if the gente bajo whine about not having enough money in their pockets . it is amazing that people state that this economy is not improving when stat after stat indicates that it is. in any event, this is a country that voted the burro into power in the middle of an economic boon, should we really feel sorry for them?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
In my day to day travels and visits with the people here the subject of politics and economy come up every day in conversation. If it doesn't come up I always bring it up. Invariable someone, this applies to all classes of Dominicans, will say the now famous sound-bite, "there's no money on the streets". On the local TV channel two nights ago an individual told the people here that the 7% improvement in the economy was a lie fabricated by the Dominican government and then went on to say that Leonel had no business going to Haiti because it served no purpose. He said that the president needs to stay here and take care of the problems here and that Hippo would never have gone to Haiti like Leonel. He then said the aforementioned sound-bite.

Nal's your assessment is totally correct but it is so difficult for the poor to understand this as the trickle down effect hasn't really reached them yet and there are people that are, I will use your words, "saying anything opposite is either dilusional, in disbelief, or wish it wasn't so." The person mentioned above that gave that false sermon on TV is a die hard, card carring PRD member.

The war that the Dominicans are fighting covers many fronts and it's difficult to fight these varied fronts with such a lack of soldiers.

Rick

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
In my day to day travels and visits with the people here the subject of politics and economy come up every day in conversation. If it doesn't come up I always bring it up. Invariable someone, this applies to all classes of Dominicans, will say the now famous sound-bite, "there's no money on the streets". On the local TV channel two nights ago an individual told the people here that the 7% improvement in the economy was a lie fabricated by the Dominican government and then went on to say that Leonel had no business going to Haiti because it served no purpose. He said that the president needs to stay here and take care of the problems here and that Hippo would never have gone to Haiti like Leonel. He then said the aforementioned sound-bite.

Nal's your assessment is totally correct but it is so difficult for the poor to understand this as the trickle down effect hasn't really reached them yet and there are people that are, I will use your words, "saying anything opposite is either dilusional, in disbelief, or wish it wasn't so." The person mentioned above that gave that false sermon on TV is a die hard, card carring PRD member.

The war that the Dominicans are fighting covers many fronts and it's difficult to fight these varied fronts with such a lack of soldiers.

Rick
Every day that passes I am coming more to the conclusion that most people don't believe in the truth.

Most people only believe in what makes sense to them, and often times what makes sense is hardly the truth!

This is due to perceived "evidence" that people see with their eyes and if someone says something that justifies what they are seeing in a way that makes sense, they will believe that to be the truth, and thus act upon that.

As usual, my father was right!

The truth is whatever people want it to be!

Now that we got this out of the way, perhaps the ruling administration should start a parallel campaign in making sense of everything that is occuring to the masses, in order to counter the damaging lies that only the poor are buying from jealous rivals, especially PRD.

Any person with the slightest hint of intelligence and who thinks for him/herself would quickly realize that things are better today, the economy is working as it should, and quite frankly, the country could not be in a much better position because this is the best position the country can be, given what happened in the past few years.

The issue of whether the economic figures are lies is none sense. A group of IMF inspectors came to the republic to revise these numbers about a month ago and they concluded these numbers are legitimate!

If we want this country to move forward, we must teach the masses how to think for themselves, how to research information and not take anything said to them at face value, how to come to their own conclusions based on facts and figures.

This little habit of letting others do the thinking for them is not good either now or ever!

-NAL

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It all depends on who you ask. The poor are definitely feeling the pinch as everything is more expensive now. Tax rates are through the roof and they do trickle down to the poor...in the meantime the USD has gone down, but prices have remained pretty close to when the USD was at 55 to 1.

As an example I send a monthly amount to my grandpa. At a 33 X 1 rate he cannot afford the same things he could afford last year with the same amount of money so I've had to increase the amount of money I send for him to buy the basic stuff he needs...so it is affecting me too.

The bottom line is the economy as a whole is doing better. Poor people and anybody who depends on remittances (which is a huge part of the population) are doing worse. The government is collecting a huge amount of money and using it to pay for botellas and spend on stupid projects (i.e. Metro) without any kind of accountability, the PRD will probably retain a large portion of congress as a result of its alliance with The PRSC, and I don't really care as I'm rich and don't have to worry about money...LOL