Are we truly created equal???

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Equality is not measured in wealth, colour, race, circumstances, location, etc.
The value of every soul at birth is equal.
What a person does with his soul, may change it's value.

elkangorito

Sep 24, 2007
Equality is not measured in wealth, colour, race, circumstances, location, etc.
The value of every soul at birth is equal.
What a person does with his soul, may change it's value.

I would've said exactly the same thing about 82 posts ago but I wasn't watching the forum then.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
you know berzin i dissagree some what...and I use and example of ife in NYC as an example.

poor inner city children..almost ALL minorities..and mostly black.

many have said that they cant make it and that those kids are treated unfairly and it is the system that holds them down....

but if we look at the 10 % that stayed in school and chose to take the hard road and graduate, and went onto to jobs and possibly college and careers that were successful........we have proven that it isnt the SYSTEM any more.

that it is the individual and the immediate family that had the most negative impact!

now if all the children failed miserably...then it might be the system

same goes for the hatians..... they are in the same boat as the super poor dominicans...

some squander theri lives away, some over achieve and get out!

if a few can do it.. more could if the applied the same work ethic and mentality

I hope no one tries to twist my comments racially...

it is a comparison

bob

Bob, I totally understand where you are coming from, and as such disagreements are allowed-so I will respectfully disagree.:cheeky:

I will not twist your comments nor will I debase this argument with a tit-for-tat type of debate. But you certainly are mislead by the school system here in NYC.

There are many factors working against many of these kids. Some come from the home, some are encountered on their way to school and the rest wait for them in the school itself.

You can take the attitude that hard work will conquer most obstacles, but that in and of itself is a premise I have trouble with. Because the flip side becomes that these kids are just inherently lazy, want things handed to them and want to blame their shortcomings in life on others. And that is just not true.

I'm not saying that this is your opinion or what you think, I am just adding this point to the discussion.

For one to truly grasp the obstacles facing these kids, you would have to spend time in their environment. I'm not saying it would change your mind, but it would in my opinion make you realize that it isn't just initiative or drive that they lack.

Sep 19, 2005
thanks Berzin...for sure I simplified my thoughts for the sake of the thread.

almost everything in life is more dynamic that I made my point out to be.

but if given the task of simplifying anything down to a few sentences....you lose the depth of reality.....but soemthing at least representative of your view has to come out in those few sentences.

have a good day

bob

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Basic Question To Answer is:

Is it "BETTER": to be rich,or be "Poor"???
R-I-C-H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The most important thing in life is the health of you and your loved ones!
Ask all the poor Dominicans who have to watch their family members die before their eyes because they have no money to provide medical intervention that might save their family member's lives!
Besides,"Men" are not "Created",they are born!..(So Far!)
Are they "EQUAL"? To paraphrase Bill Clinton,.."It depends on what your definition of "equal" is.:cheeky:
How is Bill Clinton like a "Timex" watch????????????????????????????
He takes a "lick'n,and keeps on tick'n!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Two more days till my return to Santo Domingo,lock up your wives and daughters!;)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Two more days till my return to Santo Domingo,lock up your wives and daughters!;)

Trying to keep them all in one place so they can't run away from you CC? ;)

Have a good return trip and enjoy your time back in the DR.
I'm sure you will treat them all as equals (Equally).

Ask all the poor Dominicans who have to watch their family members die before their eyes because they have no money to provide medical intervention that might save their family member's lives!

A very sad truth here in the DR as well as elsewhere.

Don

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
There's more happy horse poop in this thread than at Churchill Downs on Derby Day.

We do not all have equal gifts and talents.

Every individual has the capabilty of controlling his attitude. Someone with a good attitude can improve his circumstance.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Every individual has the capabilty of controlling his attitude. Someone with a good attitude can improve his circumstance.
Per chance, I happened to watch a show on TV recently, dealing with a science which has discovered and documented a direct association between frontal lobe activity and happiness.
Unfortunately, some people have less activity, thus less happiness, and cannot have as good an attitude as others.
So it would stand to reason that people with unhappy attitudes would not be as capable of changing or improving their circumstances, IMHO.
I do believe that we are created equal at the soul level, but not at the physical level.

N

naturelover

are we still discussing this ? the answer is no next topic lol

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Thanks Rocky...Basically, independent of circumstances, one person COULD be sitting in a pile of excrement and be "happy as a clam" (are clams happy? 'how about on the half shell?) while another person could be in the identical situation and be so miserable that they literally could die. Likewise, sitting on a pristine beach with a Cuba Libre may have the same reactions in both.

For some people, it takes dramatic swings in circumstances to create an emotional shift while in others only minute changes will result in dramatically different states of happiness.

There will always be the possibility of making "lemonade out of lemons" (limonada de limones?) but motivation interacts with this frontal lobe action of what is perceived happiness. SO there IS contentment and then there is the drive towards betterment. Have I totally confused the subject now?