Switching to Electric Cars in The DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If they can solve the charging issue … and they appear to be well on track…..
IMO this is a great place for EV’s …distances are shorter than NoAmerica … very manageable for an EV

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If they can solve the charging issue … and they appear to be well on track…..
IMO this is a great place for EV’s …distances are shorter than NoAmerica … very manageable for an EV
Anyway currently how long does it take to pull over in a charging station and drive out fully charged? As someone used to pulling up to a pump, fill up my car and leave in a matter of minutes this is what really counts to me.............

Jan 9, 2004
Wow, has it been 10 years already? Time flies!
Hard to believe the DR was so pro-active then.

The likely reasons so little happened as regards the importation of EV's was unfamiliarity with the product and of course range and charging.

Today those issues are being addressed as President Abinader single handedly raised the profile of EV's issue during his inaugural ride in a Tesla............along with the advent of home chargers, longer range and eventually countrywide charging/rapid charging.

Range today is no longer a major issue;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Anyway currently how long does it take to pull over in a charging station and drive out fully charged? As someone used to pulling up to a pump, fill up my car and leave in a matter of minutes this is what really counts to me.............
Good question. I passed a “Tesla” charging station next to my supermarket yesterday (USA) and there were 5 cars charging (out of 8 spots). I wondered how long they were there!

Jan 9, 2004
Good question. I passed a “Tesla” charging station next to my supermarket yesterday (USA) and there were 5 cars charging (out of 8 spots). I wondered how long they were there!
At a "Tesla" charging station, 15 minutes will get you approximately 200 miles.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: AlterEgo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If I didn't have so many cars now, I'd probably buy one.

On the other hand, I'd be sweatin' my electric bill the first month after I bought it. lol

Jan 9, 2004
If I didn't have so many cars now, I'd probably buy one.

On the other hand, I'd be sweatin' my electric bill the first month after I bought it. lol
So take the number of miles you drive in a week, then divide by 3 (electrics generally get 3 miles per kwh) and then multiply that number by your cost per kwh. That should be your approximate cost per week.

Now you also have to factor in the cost of a home charger........generally $2,000. But that is easily offset against the maintenance, gas, and oil you won't have to do or need.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So take the number of miles you drive in a week, then divide by 3 (electrics generally get 3 miles per kwh) and then multiply that number by your cost per kwh. That should be your approximate cost per week.

Now you also have to factor in the cost of a home charger........generally $2,000. But that is easily offset against the maintenance, gas, and oil you won't have to do or need.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
That's a formula I can work with.

I could hook the charger up to my genset and charge once a week with it.

I go weeks on a tank of gas now.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
15 minutes to recharge
🙀
I will make sure I bring a book or always have my Fire 10 charged.
What you need here in 🇩🇴 is combination charging station/car wash and take care of two tasks as one time.

The only EV I would ever consider owning here:
There's lots of opportunity for a variety of businesses to value add by installing "a couple" (some as yet undefined amount) of charging stations in their parking lots. Fast food, La Sirena, Jumbo, any large retail establishment, etc... and I bet there will be many....eventually. Chicken and the egg though.

IMO the island is not near ready for a large percentage of total vehicles to change to "electric". If I had a serviceable gasoline, diesel, LP or natural gas converted vehicle I would not take on the expense, and hassle, of changing to a new and more expensive type of vehicle until there was a proven network of chargers, and the price for EV is more comparable to a gasoline model. Then there are the heat/battery life and replacement cost issues. Not insurmountable but still nowhere near where it all needs to be for most people.

If I could go "weeks" between fill-ups what would be the incentive to change to electric?

Nice truck though! :D

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
There's lots of opportunity for a variety of businesses to value add by installing "a couple" (some as yet undefined amount) of charging stations in their parking lots. Fast food, La Sirena, Jumbo, any large retail establishment, etc... and I bet there will be many....eventually. Chicken and the egg though.

IMO the island is not near ready for a large percentage of total vehicles to change to "electric". If I had a serviceable gasoline, diesel, LP or natural gas converted vehicle I would not take on the expense, and hassle, of changing to a new and more expensive type of vehicle until there was a proven network of chargers, and the price for EV is more comparable to a gasoline model. Then there are the heat/battery life and replacement cost issues. Not insurmountable but still nowhere near where it all needs to be for most people.

If I could go "weeks" between fill-ups what would be the incentive to change to electric?

Nice truck though! :D
I agree with you brother.
And I am no environmentalist. I am first and foremost about my own personal convenience. Yeah, I am privileged economically. But I worked for it. I was not born with it or in it.

I am about mobility and buy a vehicle that will do what I need it to. I actually like diesel. I need a vehicle that can put in work. You know, go hard in the paint like I do. I would be adding to my fleet. And that is only because I could charge it using solar.

All EV purchasers are early adopters at this point and will pay a premium for their choices.
And they are rolling the dice here in 🇩🇴 when it comes to maintenance, repairs, parts, battery replacement ect.

How is the that biggest advocate of EV posting in this thread does not even own one❓

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Jan 9, 2004
That's a formula I can work with.

I could hook the charger up to my genset and charge once a week with it.

I go weeks on a tank of gas now.
Given the range of todays EV's and after speaking with several Dominican dealers who regularly import to the DR, they are indicating that starting in 2025 they expect a huge influx of EV's into the country.

Their reasoning is tied to the 5 year import rule, lower taxes on the older the vehicle within that 5 year window, and the EV ley (50% reduction of those taxes), will have combined to make it much more feasible to import and sell EV's on a much larger scale than is currently being done.

Hyundai seems to have the inside track for them. They are producing EV's with excellent range, a good price point for the market, and wide brand recognition and acceptance in the DR.

On a side note, Tesla held its annual shareholder meeting yesterday and it is worth reading some of Elon Musks comments as to his visions of the future. Here is but a snippet of the over 2 hour meeting;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The only thing more unreliable here than prettied-up used car is the electrical grid, so no I won't consider an EV. It would become a lawn ornament

And if you think you can shop for groceries in Playero and charge your car for the 15 minutes you are in there, that might add 7 miles of range on one of those slow chargers.
Unless you have the needed Ede-juice and install a charger at home you will never get charged up on the road. Take a care free trip around the island ? (Fuggedaboutit)

But if tree-hugging is no longer fulfilling your social-justice-warrior street-cred, then by all mean buy an expensive and impractical EV

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Jan 9, 2004
The only thing more unreliable here than prettied-up used car is the electrical grid, so no I won't consider an EV. It would become a lawn ornament

Lots of people in the DR have 24/7 power or access to power 24/7. They would likely be part of those early EV adopters.
And if you think you can shop for groceries in Playero and charge your car for the 15 minutes you are in there, that might add 7 miles of range on one of those slow chargers.
The average person does not need to recharge on the road as the miles they drive per day allows them to return home and charge there. There are 2 dozen Nissan Leafs used daily in the East region..................and all are charged without need to find a charger on the road.
Unless you have the needed Ede-juice and install a charger at home you will never get charged up on the road. Take a care free trip around the island ? (Fuggedaboutit)

Exactly. At this point, intra-Island transport is challenging for EV's. Most are not used for that purpose in the DR.
But if tree-hugging is no longer fulfilling your social-justice-warrior street-cred, then by all mean buy an expensive and impractical EV
It is no longer a social justice warrior issue. These vehicles are coming mainstream. They are neither expensive nor impractical for many people. The Chevrolet Bolt, Hyundai Ioniq and Hyundai Kona electric all have fairly low price points. There are now countries where RV's outnumber ICE vehicles.

But certainly full acceptance in the DR will be challenging as the shift occurs.........but occur it will. It is no different than any new competing technology that comes along and successfully disrupts (VHS versus BetaMax, Plasma versus LED, 8 track versus cassette versus CD, typewriters versus word processors, etc., etc., etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2