Article examining dominican identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
wventura said:
I'm not implying that dominicans should choose one or the other. But why not both???

It just doenst happen.

It troubles me when the darkest, most african looking dominican is more proud of his/her white ancestry, and doesnt mention all of his other obvious ancestries.
And why does it trouble you? I may find it amuzing, or ignorant, but it doesn't trouble me in the least what people chose to identify themselves with. It amuses me just as much Americans who claim the ancestry of people who arrived hundreds of years ago in the States. Just amusing, not troubling.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
wventura, what I said is that white Latin Americans don't identify themselves as being part of any Spanish "diaspora" and neither do black Latin Americans identify themselves as part of any African "diaspora". That is a concept developed in the US and embraced by many or some black Americans. I have said I am not that familiar with Dominicans. I would guess that the majority know they are a mixture of African, European and some native genes. If it is so obvious then there is no point in either admitting it or denying it, it's there for everyone to see. Maybe they just take it for granted as well. I have read that in the official DR census, when they used to record a person's race, there were four categories: White, Black, Mestizo(Mulatto) and Asian. And most of the population was classified as mulato. That means they recognized their dual- or triple if taino genes are included- ancestry. Mulatoes in the DR do tend to use the word "indio" to identify their color, like someone else previously stated here. That word is also applied to mulatoes who have straight hair and that type of coloring. However, almost anything in the DR is a mixture, from merengue to food to religious beliefs. That mixture is black, white and indian or European/Caucasian, African Negro and Native- a branch of the Mongoloid race. Not all the Caucasian heritage is Spanish, there is French, Lebanese/Syrian/Jewish(Semitic), Italian etc. In addition, the modern Mongoloid presence is represented by the Chinese communities which exist in major cities.

Because of all of these mixtures and the history of the country, you can say that there are no pure races in the DR, but that is also the situation in the world at large. I seriously doubt that black Dominicans don't know they are black, and I mean the ones who are obviouly of predominantly black African ancestry. Perhaps because they don't want to be mistaken for Haitians, they mention whatever Spanish ancestor they may have. What they are problably saying is that even thoug they are black, they are Dominican.

Now, in the same way that the most African looking Dominican blacks may have inherited some white genes from a remote white or mulato ancestor, the whitest of Dominicans- like the upper class folks- may also have inherited some black genes from some remote black or mulato ancestor. That is a reality which is not limited to the DR.

Now, even in Haiti, which is acknowledged as being the first black republic and the first country to become independent in the region and where African ancestry is not only accepted but proudly claimed, there are differences between the light skinned mulato elite and the majority of the population. Even in Haiti being "pretty" or upper class etc. is associated with whiteness.

It is also, perhaps, because of Haiti being so African in racial heritage, that Dominicans, in order to claim their own identy as a people separate from Haiti, put comparatively more emphasis on their Spanish heritage. Besides, culturally speaking as well, the DR is more Spanish than Haiti is French. Haiti is more African, in fact the most African country in the Americas, and Dominicans are well aware of it. Those facts may help to explain the attitudes you are complaining about on the part of Dominicans.

Last edited:

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
wventura said:
YOU have got to be joking. Dominicans go on and on about how they are spanish. "Hispanidad", is the national ideology.

And dominicans have no problem identifiying as "white", but you can search the whole island and not find one person that would admit to being black.

Apples and oranges..Hispanidad has nothing to do with black or white.

There is "Hispanidad" in the Philippines, in Guniea Equatorial (100% black) etc.

As a side note this is not a "Dominican" phenomenon, a few years ago a Korean free zone operator told me about his first few weeks here in the DR.

Since most of his workers could not pronounce his name, they ignorantly started to call him Chino..Well he tried to put a stop to it but no one could understand what the big deal was, they told him "but you look just like a Chino", So the next day he started to call everyone Haitiano, of course everyone corrected him very quickly by pointing out they were Dominican not Haitian, to which he would respond..oh what's the big deal you look Haitian to me..So from that day on, no one made the mistake of calling him Chino again.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Then why are dominicans so desperate to claim "white"??? arent they more than just being white???
They are more than just being white, but you know how it is. Many wealthier Haitians are much more keen to consider themselves mulatto, even if they are 100% black. So, what is the deal here?

Bullshit. "white" domninicans are mixed race as well, they are just lighter mulattos. 25% is rediculous, thats too insignificant, for somebody to have dark skin. That guy was dark because he had ALOT of afriacan ancestry from every side of his family.
Have you heard of predominant traits! Why some people have hair on their fingers and others don't? What about the widow's peak? The same thing applies here. This guy is 25% black, but his black genes were much stronger than his white genes when it came to skin color. The guy does have "European" nose, blue eyes, and "good" hair. Why are you judging this guy with a vengence? You have not even met him, just prejudging him.

Well this "embracing both sides", doesnt happen in the D.R that much. If asked of ones "antepasados", african ancestors are the LAST thing a dominican (regardless of color), will mention. They have to ADMIT to it. Its incredible to see dominicans that look like they are strait out of Africa, brag about their pure spanish great grandfather, but ignore the rest of their ancestry.
Haitians mention their French connection as the last thing (and sometimes they ignore it completely) and is anyone jumping around because of it? No. Why are you so upset about the Dominican way of things?

Bullshit. You will not find many dominicans celebrating their african ancestry. They will go on and on about spanish ancestry, other european ancestry, and Taino (even though its practically non-existent), but african ancestry never seems to come up, even though AFRICAN ANCESTRY IS THE LARGEST COMPONENT IN THE D.R.
Um, listen to Perico Ripiao and with how much "gusto" they dance to it.
Watch Dominicans dream about Chicharrones con Tostones.
Watch them drewl over Casave.
Hear them talk about el Chi chi and asking for un chin of food, before they head to the can.

(1) You need to relax because nobody is fighting here, just discussing this.
(2) You need to accept Dominicans the way they are and stop trying to impose your belief system on to them.
(3) On the day when YOUR people act perfect, then you have all the right in world to tell Dominicans how to live. But until then, work on your own defects and let us Dominicans work on ours, without your imput.

Relax. The world is not ending, yet.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
juancarlos said:
It is also, perhaps, because of Haiti being so African in racial heritage, that Dominicans, in order to claim their own identy as a people separate from Haiti, put comparatively more emphasis on their Spanish heritage. Besides, culturally speaking as well, the DR is more Spanish than Haiti is French. Haiti is more African, in fact the most African country in the Americas, and Dominicans are well aware of it. Those facts may help to explain the attitudes you are complaining about on the part of Dominicans.
Juan Carlos, you hit the nail and you hit it hard.

That is the exact reason for why the western 1/3 of Hispaniola embraces Africa and ignores Europe and why the eastern 2/3 of Hispaniola embraces Europe and ignores Africa.

There is nothing more to it. The beautiful thing of this is that this island that is called Hispaniola is home to two beautiful and interesting cultures, probably some of the most authentic cultures in the Caribbean due to the heavy mixing and important interaction the island had during Colonial times. Let's face it, anybody that likes the DR must realize that Dominicans are the way they are because of how they have developed over the years, including how they see the world.

In many countries in the Caribbean blacks and whites don't mix well. Go to Martinique, St. Lucia, Grenada or where ever and the same scene unfolds. Blacks embrace their own culture and stay in their own bubble while whites do the same in their own separate bubble. You have the US which is a "two major cultures" country with the America of the Suburban Whites and the America of the InnerCity Blacks, both having their distict and harsh contrasting cultures as if they were two different countries.

In the DR there is no major distiction between blacks and whites and mulatto. The biggest divisions in the DR comes from wealth, but not skin colors. For some bizzare reason, the rest of the world is having a hard time swallowing that there is a country in this world where Skin color is not a dividing as wealth is. It's sad the world debates what Dominicans are. The ironic thing is that while the world spend their lives debating, Dominicans are not putting much mind to that and instead are dancing to Merengue (which is a mixture of African and European music) and they are eating La Bandera Dominicana and Chicharrones and they are talking their Spanish with a Taino and African word here and there. Aaah, it feels good to be Dominican.

Why can't the world just try to fix their own racial problems which from what I am seeing are causing more division among human populations than union.

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
juancarlos said:
wventura, what I said is that white Latin Americans don't identify themselves as being part of any Spanish "diaspora" and neither do black Latin Americans identify themselves as part of any African "diaspora".

Absolutely untrue. Especially in the case of Dominicans. They consider themselves to be part of spain's "legacy" in the americas.

And black latin americans from other countries like Cuba, Colombia, Peru, Brazil ect, also consider themselves to be part of the african diaspora.

"diaspora" just means any scattering of people with common origin.

That is a concept developed in the US and embraced by many or some black Americans.

100% false. Black americans are not the only people that have pride in their ancestry.

That means they recognized their dual- or triple if taino genes are included- ancestry. Mulatoes in the DR do tend to use the word "indio" to identify their color, like someone else previously stated here. That word is also applied to mulatoes who have straight hair and that type of coloring.

The origin of the "indio" clasification is an attempt to negate african ancestry. There is no denying this. Its where it came from. Any many MANY dominicans today actually do think that they are indian, and they will tell you this.

I seriously doubt that black Dominicans don't know they are black, and I mean the ones who are obviouly of predominantly black African ancestry.

Then I guess you would be very suprised. Its a RARITY to find a dominican that will say that he/she is black. An Extreme Rarity.

Perhaps because they don't want to be mistaken for Haitians, they mention whatever Spanish ancestor they may have. What they are problably saying is that even thoug they are black, they are Dominican.

No. Not at all. They actually think they are not black. Dominicans say that "there are no black people in the D.R., only indios oscuros"

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Narcosis said:
Apples and oranges..Hispanidad has nothing to do with black or white.

What is apples and oranges??? IN the D.R spanish and "white" go hand and hand; one implies the other. The presidencies of Balaguer and Truijillo, are shaped upon this ideology.

There is "Hispanidad" in the Philippines, in Guniea Equatorial (100% black) etc.

If you mean spanish cultural pride, then there is close to none in the phillipines, and not much in Equatorial Guinea. (and equatorial guinea is NOT 100% black)

As a side note this is not a "Dominican" phenomenon, a few years ago a Korean free zone operator told me about his first few weeks here in the DR.

Since most of his workers could not pronounce his name, they ignorantly started to call him Chino..Well he tried to put a stop to it but no one could understand what the big deal was, they told him "but you look just like a Chino", So the next day he started to call everyone Haitiano, of course everyone corrected him very quickly by pointing out they were Dominican not Haitian, to which he would respond..oh what's the big deal you look Haitian to me..So from that day on, no one made the mistake of calling him Chino again.

nice story, but explain how its relavent to what we were discussing.

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Nal0whs said:
They are more than just being white, but you know how it is.

No i'm not sure what you mean. Before you were saying that its wrong for dominicans to be "black", because they are more than just black. But you wont say the same for "white" dominicans.

Many wealthier Haitians are much more keen to consider themselves mulatto, even if they are 100% black. So, what is the deal here?

????? why do you bring up haiti. What are you implying??

and anyway many of the wealthier haitians (if not most of the wealthy haitians), ARE mullato.

Haitians mention their French connection as the last thing (and sometimes they ignore it completely) and is anyone jumping around because of it? No. Why are you so upset about the Dominican way of things?

THe VAST majority of haitians dont have french ancestry, so they have no reason to identify with it. Those haitians that do have it, do identify with it.

THis is NOT the case with dominicans and African ancestry. The D.R has a predominance of african ancestry, and absolutely no pride for this.

Um, listen to Perico Ripiao and with how much "gusto" they dance to it.
Watch Dominicans dream about Chicharrones con Tostones.
Watch them drewl over Casave.
Hear them talk about el Chi chi and asking for un chin of food, before they head to the can.

Where is the argument here?? There is no rebuttal.

You just got finished explaining the importance of "embracing both sides". But dominicans (for the most part) do not do this. THere is no celebration or even recognition of african ancestry, in the D.R.

(1) You need to relax because nobody is fighting here, just discussing this.

I'm discussing.

(3) On the day when YOUR people act perfect, then you have all the right in world to tell Dominicans how to live. But until then, work on your own defects and let us Dominicans work on ours, without your imput.

Its funny that you assume that I am of no relation to the dominican republic. I'm an american of dominican descent (2nd generation), and concerned about why my home country has absolutely no pride in their ancestry.

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Pib said:
And why does it trouble you? I may find it amuzing, or ignorant, but it doesn't trouble me in the least what people chose to identify themselves with. It amuses me just as much Americans who claim the ancestry of people who arrived hundreds of years ago in the States. Just amusing, not troubling.

Why is it troubling????

What i have been gathering from all of your posts is that you admit to the D.R only identifying with european, and native(non-existent) ancestry, but find no problem with this.

If you go to any other country, it is not like this. Cuba is a great example. Cubans have a tremendous amount of pride of their african ancestry. You will never hear a Cuban show this type of denial that is typical of dominicans.
They have so much cultural pride, and are aware of their heritage.

Many other countries have the same (among their population of african descent); Peru, Colombia, and Brazil, are other good examples.

I have always wondered my home country, cant have the same type of pride, and awareness.

I find it extremely ironic that the blackest country in Latin america (D.R), would have the least amount of pride of its african ancestry. It simply doesnt exist there.

ELin3pi2!

May 26, 2004
Honest truth

there is no specific dominican race everyone knows that, me for example my grandmother on my mom's side is black and proud, and my grandfather is white and so my mom got her mixed complexity and so did i since my father is also mixed (black mom, mulato father), one thing that many people are unaware is that in the article they claim that 90% of the population is of black descent. I guess the person who wrote the article has never been to Bani, or el Cibao, well really I don't think she went out of the hotel area because everywhere you go there are black, whites and majority of mixed people. As a matter of fact trujillo himself (half Haitian) never claimed his ancestry and moreover he was so concerned about the increment of haitians in the country that he killed thousands of them. He never targetted black dominicans though. on a personal note, I'm not at all racist i am proud of my moreno family, we get along better with that side of the family. My grandfather was the only one who tried to keep the families together he used to take us to his sister's houses so we could play with their white children, and he did the same with my mom and her brothers. But only our black side is united, I don't even know how my white side of the family is doing, I know they are fine but some of them never make an attemp to get close to us. I think as everyone else knows that we are racists not only against haitians(not me I get along with them) but with dominicans as well.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
From A Dominican Viewpoint

The Dominican Identity is more complex than Black and White and nobody should describe us as black or white. This whole attitude of racial superiority comes from the good old US [not blaming], but living in the US it seems there is always a silent war between Black and Whites and everybody else is in between. In my opinion the "African" American is a very suspicious human but who can blame them. The issue of Hispanics and whites being racist is very common in there culture I believe they feel it's "them against the world". I have discuss the Dominican Black "issue" and they believe we are racist because we don't parade our blackness as they do. In my mind this is not a issue and I agree 100% with Nal0whs, we do celebrate it but in our way. I remember when Sammy Sosa first hit 60 homeruns and how the NCAAP publicly harassed him for saying he was Dominican not Black, I forgot who said it but the I will never forget the quote "brother look in the mirror you're black" said the spokesman but in my mind and Sammys he is Dominican first not a color, I do not believe he was saying im not black but saying im not Black-American im Dominican. Also I wish to inform those who keep insisting that Dominicans don't have of trace of Taino blood is false, there are recorded interbreeding between the European men and Taino women, meaning there were many offspring, we might not be like Mexico but there still is existing bloodlines [not in vast majority], as well I would like to point out that when you mix to colors who get a mixture not just one homogenous hue, the color that most Dominicans have is due to this mixture which is not a 100% black or white but what we call Indio referring to our skin tone and not Taino or we would say im not Black im Taino which I have never heard a Dominican say. I must admit that wventura seems to hate Dominicans and I do not believe your posts, to say that nobody in the Dominican Republic claims there "blackness" is false. Again I would like to say that the Dominican Republic is far superior to many countries in the racial problems we co-exist peacefully, I would like to add this statement Do not make this the United States of America we are a different country with different historical events, our people do not understand the racial difficulties that exist in the states. In conclusion these type of questions are happening among young Dominicans that are facing rough times because they are black-Dominicans in the US and relate to the African-Americans problems and History and not there own.

I will admit there is racism in the Dominican Republic but it is not as frequent as in the US and most of the time has to do with money and/or a person's educational background.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
No "Racism" in Cuba? Which Cuba did I visit ?

At all the best Hotels,the entire staff was "White,or Light"! "Blacks" were not allowed in! If they had US $$$$$,they could come in through the "side" door,to spend their money.Just like here,the worst jobs go to the "Darker" people!
It makes me laugh every time one of these "Why Can't Dominicans claim their BLACK Heritage"!
The posts are always from an American Negro who must feel that "Misery Loves Company"!!!!!!!
Leave your wide nose out of it!
Spend your free time working for "Reparations",and "Affirmative Action"! Seems to me that you have your own Ethnic Recognition" problems in the USA. Kind of like,"The Pot Calling The Kettle Black"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never forget;"It's ALL GOOD"!
Cris Colon
"Mejorando La Raza"!!!!!!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
wventura said:
Why is it troubling????

What i have been gathering from all of your posts is that you admit to the D.R only identifying with european, and native(non-existent) ancestry, but find no problem with this.
I did not admit to such thing. You do not need to put words in my mouth thankyouverymuch.

If you go to any other country, it is not like this. Cuba is a great example. Cubans have a tremendous amount of pride of their african ancestry. You will never hear a Cuban show this type of denial that is typical of dominicans.
They have so much cultural pride, and are aware of their heritage.
I have heard the same complains about Cuba that you mention about the D.R. And frankly who cares, when I think 'Cuban' 'black' is not the first word to come to my mind. Mayhaps because I think Cuban is not a color, a culture and a nationality, but not a color.

Many other countries have the same (among their population of african descent); Peru, Colombia, and Brazil, are other good examples.

I have always wondered my home country, cant have the same type of pride, and awareness.
And WHY do we have to pride in a color? Why?

I find it extremely ironic that the blackest country in Latin america (D.R), would have the least amount of pride of its african ancestry. It simply doesnt exist there.
I think you are wrong. Check your facts. And read this. And this.

platanomami23

Nov 25, 2003
2nd generation not the same dominican experience

Thanks to everyone who liked what I had to say earlier. This discussion seems to be going downhill fast, mainly because certain people are very narrow-minded about the issues. Like previous posters have said, it is hard to see it from an outsider's or foreigner's point of view and understand the complexities of the culture. Also, like it or not, 2nd generation Dominicans do not experience the full extent of the culture if they haven't lived in the DR and grown up in that society. The majority of my Dominican friends from LSU are ones who either currently live in the DR or just came here for University, however, I am in a Dominican-American Student group here in Miami and most of them are second generation dominicans. There is a definite difference in their attitudes and understanding of their own culture. Some of them grew up in NY and have much more affinity and common cultural attitudes to Dominican York and the hip hop community there, rather than the attitude and culture of those back on the island.

I don't know what kind of personal problems or racial prejudice wventura experienced, but it seems to me that personal bad experiences and non-exposure to the true dominican lifestyle have led to a biased view. If you're happy identifying with your African roots, by all means be proud...however, Dominicans come in a rainbow of colors and their culture is a true mixture that needs to be viewed as such and not tried to fit it into some people's limited definitions of racial and ethnic identity.

platanomami23

Nov 25, 2003
understanding culture

In reference to the whole thread, I liked what a lot of you had to say about the issue. Dominican identity is complex and history has a lot to do with it, both for good and bad reasons. Tolerance and individual identity preference should go hand in hand. If you truly experience the Dominican Republic and meet lots of Dominicans of various colors and classes, you'll get a similar picture to the opinions of most of those who posted here. However, if you immediately try to lock their culture into our categories and definitions, it won't work and you end up with a very narrow, limited opinion. If you're interested in your Dominican heritage, read books by Ernesto Sagas, Frank Moya Pons, Julia Alvarez, and others to gain a better understanding of a culture you think you know.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ventura,Why must you post 4 times in a row,without waiting for a response???

The "Unwritten Rule" on DR1,is that,"If you post 3 times in a row,without waiting for a response,you are more interested in your own "Agenda",than in a discussion of the subject! Since on page 3,you have posted 4 times in a row,you must really be "Full-Of-Yourself"!
May I suggest that you get out more?
Dominicans,and a lot of the "Ex-Pats" who prowl this site don't care a whole lot about ancestry,much less "skin color"!
You won't get many "Converts" sermanizing here!
May I suggest a trip to Boston this Friday.You can "Preach To The Choir" there!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :mad:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Criss Colon said:
At all the best Hotels,the entire staff was "White,or Light"! "Blacks" were not allowed in! If they had US $$$$$,they could come in through the "side" door,to spend their money.Just like here,the worst jobs go to the "Darker" people!
It makes me laugh every time one of these "Why Can't Dominicans claim their BLACK Heritage"!
The posts are always from an American Negro who must feel that "Misery Loves Company"!!!!!!!
Spend your free time working for "Reparations",and "Affirmative Action"! Seems to me that you have your own Ethnic Recognition" problems in the USA. Kind of like,"The Pot Calling The Kettle Black"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cris Colon

CC, that guy that posted there is no racism in Cuba is actually an American of Dominican decent. Because he has an American passport, there is no way (well maybe illegal ways) that he could have visited Cuba. I think he haven't visited Cuba and is speculating on how Cubans behave either by watching how Cubans in the US behave (they have become Americanized just how Dominicans living in the US, etc. So its not accurate to assume a group of people act a certain way based on how the expatriate community acts).

That guy has never been to Cuba, he is just speculating. It's good that he speculates, at least he has an idea of the place, but he is way off.

The samething applies to his understand (or what he thinks) the DR is about. He probably have only visited here for a few weeks at a time per year or something and thinks that in those few weeks vacation in the DR, that he already knows what it is to be Dominican. Or maybe just because he has Dominican blood that he automatically knows what it is to be Dominican.

The truth is that he knows what it is to be a DominicanYork, but not a Dominican.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It is "EASY" for an American to visit Cuba,Mostly "Illegal",but "EASY"!

You just can't go from the USA,unless you are Cuban visiting family,or part of some group.I just went to "Emily Tours" in Santo Domingo,and away I went! They "Staple" your Cuban visa to a page in your American Passport.When you leave,they take out the visa.I did the same thing for a visit to the Soviet Union and Poland in 1973.Stapled visas,only with my picture in those days,remove page when you leave.Seems like the immigration at the US border would get wise to the "Staple Holes"and ask a few more questions!
Most of what people refer to as "Racism",is actually "Bigotry",but we know what you mean.
I have 5 kids.First one "Amerasian".(We really have to "catagorize" everyone don't we?)He looks just like your basic American "Boy Next Door"! His mother is ethnic Cambodian coming from NorthEastern Thailand.Next is my Dominican wife's son of a Dominican father.Very Dark,next "our" first child,a boy,blond hair,another American "Boy Next Door". Next our 2 year old daughter,looks Italian,Spanish,or Portuguese,(with a BIG Dominican Butt!,and finally,our 8 month old daughter who is light complected with "Good" hair,but doesn't have the "Fine" features of her full sister and brother."Good" hair,but no Butt! Go figure!
So would someone please tell me, based on my children's mixed ethnic and cultural backgrounds,how we should "Treat" them? Up until now,we have treated them all equally,and embraced their diversity! Surely THAT must be wrong! Maybe when they are older we will make them decide "who" they are.Based on the color of their skin.That "MUST" be what really counts,RIGHT???
"Confused In Arroyo Hondo" :D CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Criss Colon said:
Cris Colon

WHat are yoiu talking about?? Who was discussing racism?? I certainly was not. I never even said the word.

I merely stated that cubans celebrate and have pride in their african ancestry (on a national level), while dominicans do NOT.

When did i say that there was no racism in cuba???? Of course there is.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
wventura said:
I merely stated that cubans celebrate and have pride in their african ancestry (on a national level), while dominicans do NOT.
So, this is where you and I kindly agree to part ways. I don't think color or race is something to be celebrated or to have pride on. And even if we would, shouldn't we be free to celebrate whatever heritage we see fit? Or does it have to be the one you like best.

Asking me to celebrate my blackness is akin to telling me to learn how to dance Flamenco. Besides, how I am suppose to celebrate it? and, is there a cake involved?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.