Article on Dominican Anti-Blackness

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting read. Not sure why Dominicans need to be anything other than Dominicans. The shade of skin or amount of Melanin is only a problem when you make it a problem. When the Dominicans stopped the black protestors/looters from coming into their neighbourhood I dont believe it was anything other than stopping extra problems from happening.

Reactions: Aguaita29

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Well, being that we can not discuss race within the regular forums, I will not.
What I will break down is the origins of the article at hand.
The website is Latin America News Dispatch.
Latin Dispatch is an NYU student-run publication. They receive support, aka funding, from the Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute and the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies. Slight bias in reporting?
They promote themselves as striving "to produce reliable, original reporting, and abide by traditional American journalistic ethics of independence and impartiality." In modern times, this is a real stretch.
The author of the piece, Angely Montilla, is a Master's student in International Relations at New York University, with a concentration in Latin American and Caribbean Studies.
While Ms. Montilla certainly has a possible bright future ahead, in this piece she is relying on the works/ideas of Dr. Amaryllis Estrella, a Visiting Assistant Professor of Afro Latinx Studies at New York University, and the ever treacherous Junot Díaz. Again, can we mention agendas?
Ms. Montilla also recounts a story passed down to her by her father of the 1992 murder of Mr. Jose "Kiko" Garcia in 1992 by the New York City Police Department. The only problem with this story passed down by Papi Montilla is that it was a tall tale. A fable which he seems to have shared with his daughter.
I was within the latter stages of my UN service when this event occurred sparking rioting within the neighborhood of Washington Heights, NYC.
The problem is that it was based on a false narrative consisting of the lies of a nice, little old abuela, who claimed to have been an eyewitness to the events, but in actuality, later admitted to making the entire story up. Otherwise known as, lying.
"Kiko" was hailed as just a nice young man from the neighborhood, who was thrown off a rooftop by brutal agents of the policia.
In actuality, he was a violent drug dealer who was fleeing from police across building rooftops when he fell to his own death, unassisted.
Much shame came upon the New York City Dominican community at that time. I remember. I was there.
Perhaps Papi Montilla forgot to tell his daughter that part of the story.
Regardless, I would treat this article as a composition piece in creative writing, as opposed to true journalism in it's proper sense.
You the readers, can make up your own minds.
Don't run from facts, embrace them. And for this generation, stop trying to recreate them.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm sure the motto at most journalism schools is "never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I saw this early today, posted on Facebook. Several of the comments were astute, particularly a couple made by Dominicans. The one that resonated with me the most was someone who said (I’m paraphrasing) that all Dominicans have same culture and traditions, but in the USA cultures are divided by color lines and ethnicities.

Caonabo has raised a very valid point, we do not permit discussion of race here.

Tread very carefully.

Reactions: melphis

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
All Dominicans have the same culture but to pretend that Dominican society is colorblind utopia is a farce regardless of how the US is divided or not.

Is it unique to DR of course not.

Not sure the point of this thread since it s a topic that can't be discussed anyway.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Reminds me of the great song "Tightrope", by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble.
I'm going to listen to that track now.

Reactions: bob saunders

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All Dominicans have the same culture but to pretend that Dominican society is colorblind utopia is a farce regardless of how the US is divided or not.

Is it unique to DR of course not.

Not sure the point of this thread since it s a topic that can't be discussed anyway.

I was tempted to allow some discussion, but then I slapped myself upside the head and reminded myself what happens. Too hard to draw a line, safer to “just say no”.

Thread remains, but I’m locking it before someone gets in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.