Atm withdrawal limits?

Feb 7, 2007
It is a crap shoot as you say. The withdrawal amounts of bank ATM's vary by location, time of day, and moon phase.

And not just the amounts, but also the fees charged. Bank A no fee location A1, but fee location A2. Bank B fee location B1 but no fee location B2.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Some updates on this topic. First, the scotia bank ATM at the texaco station near metro bus station does not exist anymore. The sign for this ATM is still outside at the wall. The place to go is Pedro Clisante / Ayuntamiento. I have pulled 40k out of Banco Del Progreso ATM and the fee was only 150 (compare that with Banco Popular ATM at super mercado with 10k limit and fee of 195 -> 4*195 = 780!) on the other side is the best ATM: Banco Santa Cruz - The limit seems to be 4k but it has a fee of ZERO! Confirmed after checking account online. You can pull 4k and then 4k again and again. There is a 3rd ATM at this crossing as well which I am not goint to test soon since the other two options are damn good.

Where are you at? I posted on this subject a while back and the Banco Progreso ATMs would not even work for my international debit card. It would just claim the pin code was incorrect and then time out and cancel the transaction. This was at Galeria 360 in SD.

Banco Santa Cruz. I have not tried them recently, but I do remember a fee with atm withdrawals, when I tried one of their atms years ago.

Banco Popular-10K limit per transaction and 195 fee.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I searched the forums but didn't find an answer.

I rarely use ATM's in any country, but need some cash unexpectedly.

I know my USA bank has a limit per day I can withdraw. But does anybody know the limit on a Dominican ATM using a USA debit card per day?

Does it vary by bank here?

Yesterday I tried to ask a teller at Banco Popular; should have saved my breath. So I just withdrew the max that was offered on the screen of $5000 and the fee was DOP$175. Is that typical? Does it vary by the amount I withdraw?

And any ATM's to avoid? (I am aware to only use in daylight and in safe places like inside a bank.) I remember reading some were more prone to fraud or cloning cards?

Thanks

Some atm's will let you take multpile maximums, you just have to pay the fee each time, for instance Scotia bank is $10,000 RD but I can do it 3 times, just very expensive way to get money

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Have been using ATMs(BHD, Banreservas)in the Santo Domingo area for three months now without any problem; fee is usually RD$1.95 which my bank refunds me the next day. I haven't tried withdrawing more than 40,000 at one ATM yet.

Robocrop

Sep 13, 2017
Where are you at? I posted on this subject a while back and the Banco Progreso ATMs would not even work for my international debit card. It would just claim the pin code was incorrect and then time out and cancel the transaction. This was at Galeria 360 in SD.

Banco Santa Cruz. I have not tried them recently, but I do remember a fee with atm withdrawals, when I tried one of their atms years ago.

Sosua, and I used VISA credit card (not debit)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

Jjj. Here we go again. Here in the east, Progresso ATM's now work - no error messages any more. Yesterday I withdrew RD $20.000 one transaction, 150 peso fee.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Note a lot of these depends on the issuing bank of the Visa/MC credit card and the country of the issuing bank, so one ATM might work for you with certain charges and limits but not for someone else. Also on top of that the debit and credit cards behave differently. And then every few months it could all change, so you just have to try and see with your card... (Oh, and this thread started in 2014... !)

jrp13

Feb 25, 2018
These posts are ancient as of today Dec. 2 2023 Nacional Bank allows up to 30,000 rd at one time with an ATM fee of 150rd there are two Nacional banks in Puerto Plata one inside the La Sirena store and one on Beller Ave

jrp13

Feb 25, 2018
However on two occasions when I tried to make an ATM withdrawal no money came out of the machine but my US bank account was charged Nacional said I would have to file a claim with my US bank because Nacional doesn't service their ATMs it's done by an outside contractor after I filed the claim it took sbout 4 days before the money was returned to my account