Attorney General Miriam Germán overhauls La Victoria Jail

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Miriam-German-PROCURADURIA-GENERAL-DE-LA-REPUBLICA-1024x576.jpg

Attorney General Miriam German removed the La Victoria Jail warden Gilberto Nolasco and all administrative and police officials. She ordered that the Prison Agency’s recently appointed authorities intervene and take direct control of the jail as of 16 September 2020.

The announcement comes after it was known that the assault and subsequent murder of Ruddy Quezada, a Dominican who had won a deal in US jurisdiction for US$14 million in indemnity, was planned from that jail.Attorney General Germán met with Major General Edward Sánchez González of the Police on the removal of all the Police officers assigned to the jail.

Likewise, recently investigative journalist Nuria Piera presented a report by fellow journalist Eiron Lopez on sales of drugs in the jail with the complicity of the staff.

In a press release, the Attorney General Office indicates...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Trying to grab the bull by the horns. La Victoria is a real hornets nest.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I like all of the over hauling... and changing out of all the bad eggs....this Pres is definitely making changes..

Jan 9, 2004
Trying to grab the bull by the horns. La Victoria is a real hornets nest.

Got to give him credit;

If he builds his base of support by showing he will take ACTION instead of making promises, he can/will be the best ACTION president the DR has had in decades.

While I remain skeptical as to the real possibility to alter the political culture that permeates the DR, I am encouraged by his recent moves.......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: NanSanPedro

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
"La Victoria houses 7,220 inmates, equivalent to 27.4% of the country’s prisoners. 61% (4,448) are in pretrial detention and 38.4% (2,772) are serving sentences. "

- more than 60% of inmates are there "in pretrial detention" without being sentenced? How long do people rot in the system before they're actually sentenced? That seems like a crazy high number to me.