Au Revoir Air France?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Nah, I fly through Madrid up to 4 times a year, never had to pick up luggage---- you get it at final destination be it SD, if inbound to the DR, or another European final destination, if coming from the DR.

One does have to go through immigration as it would be the entry or exit point of the Schengen space.

I still avoid transiting through the US, as every time it seems to be a sh.it storm....... maybe because GVA/MAD/SD airports are quainter, idk.
Going to Europe you don't need to claim your baggage until your final destination. US NO, you have to go through customs with your bags and recheck them. Real pain, and possibly missed connection to boot...............

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Going to Europe you don't need to claim your baggage until your final destination. US NO, you have to go through customs with your bags and recheck them. Real pain, and possibly missed connection to boot...............

And, of course I get my luggage searched every single time when I went through Miami😖😖😖.
Last time they need 4 confirmations from 3 different people that the " dulce de mani " I had in a tuppaware, was not a bio-weapon !!! W⚓s🙄.

Whereas, DR to europe ( w/o going through the US ), you can stuff your suitcase with avocados and mangos, one way. And cheese the other way 👍👍.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you fly out of Vancouver or Toronto into the USA you go through US customs in those airports (DURING REGULAR WORKING HOURS) and don't have to go through customs when you land in the US. If you are catching the redeye flights, you will have to go through customs. I don't like going through NYC, LA or Chicago. I used to hate Newark, but it is vastly improved. I am assuming the volume just isn't there for full year schedule for Air France.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
If you fly out of Vancouver or Toronto into the USA you go through US customs in those airports (DURING REGULAR WORKING HOURS) and don't have to go through customs when you land in the US. If you are catching the redeye flights, you will have to go through customs. I don't like going through NYC, LA or Chicago. I used to hate Newark, but it is vastly improved. I am assuming the volume just isn't there for full year schedule for Air France.
I suspect they also cannot compete (on price) with Air Carïbe also flying to Punta Cana from Paris.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
I wonder where all the European tourists fly from. It’s not that easy to get here.
e.g. my favorites:

AMS-PTY by KLM, PTY-SDQ by Copa
AMS-JFK by KLM, JFK-SDQ by Delta
AMD-MAD by KLM, MAD-SDQ by Iberia
BRU-PUJ by TUI Belgium

Almost daily frights by Air Europe (via Madrid)

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
e.g. my favorites:

AMS-PTY by KLM, PTY-SDQ by Copa
AMS-JFK by KLM, JFK-SDQ by Delta
AMD-MAD by KLM, MAD-SDQ by Iberia
BRU-PUJ by TUI Belgium

Almost daily frights by Air Europe (via Madrid)
I am looking at Iberia Madrid to SDQ next time. First Hamburg to Madrid with Iberia

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In today's Hoy newspaper there is an article that Air France will leave the Dominican market. Over 4,000 seats will disappear.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
In today's Hoy newspaper there is an article that Air France will leave the Dominican market. Over 4,000 seats will disappear.
I bet some French charter will fill the void. In Las Terrenas there are still many French

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I suspect they also cannot compete (on price) with Air Carïbe also flying to Punta Cana from Paris.

I dont think they would even try to compete on price, tbh.
Whatever may be said on dr1, the DR still attracts mainly low-cost tourists.
Even on regular routes --- like Madrid/SD--- the plane configurations are 💩💩 and old. They cram as many people as possible in them.
Buisness tickets are so not worth it to and from the DR.

I see ( well saw, as I have given up going through the US ) the difference, on the same company ( be it AirFrance, BA, Iberia and their respective alliances ) doing Europe/US/DR compared to Europe/DR. The plane configurations are years ahead.
And the crazy part is if you are organized and get your tickets well in advance, its cheaper to go through the US.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I see ( well saw, as I have given up going through the US ) the difference, on the same company ( be it AirFrance, BA, Iberia and their respective alliances ) doing Europe/US/DR compared to Europe/DR. The plane configurations are years ahead.
And the crazy part is if you are organized and get your tickets well in advance, its cheaper to go through the US.
It might be cheaper to go through the US, but who wants to have to get their bags in the US and go through Customs and then re-check your bag again. Then have to go through Customs again in Europe.
Not for me.................

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
If they don't fill the void, will the French have to go to Spain or Germany to come here?
AF will continue flying e.g. to the US, so transfer from JFK is still possible. Only no direct flights from Paris (Thought AF will only fly the winterseason to DR?)