Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook-MY REVIEW

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que chuleria......

I think I'm sold on this cookbook... :)
Looks great...!!!
......And you will not be disappointed, :bunny::bunny:.

About my "Croquetas", let me say what I REEEALY thought with a "campesino's" accent:

"Ei diablo, pero que maidita valna que me salio ma' bien, recontra carajo!!".

Very easy to make, took almost no time and THEY WERE YUMMMMMY!!.

Even called a "lamdon" friend to come eat one..... NOW I hope he doesn't show up so I can eat it later...wahahaha!.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Another thing I would like to say is that ANY foreigner with a Dominican significant other SHOULD HAVE THIS BOOK!!.

Hope Miguel doesn't mind if I add to this, any foreigner without a Dominican significant other - particularly those thinking of moving here. Part of the adjustment process is knowing what Dominican food is all about. This book, quite apart from recipes, gives you Dominican phrases, history, culture and a whole lot more. And for those moving here who will be arranging for a member of their staff to cook for them, it is utterly indispensable. Just think what it will do for your reputation to both know what the dish is with which you are presented AND to be able to name it in Spanish. :) You immediately start several notches up on the credibility scale. And that has ramifications far wider than most new folks would realise. Course, if next day you can cook the dish better than your cook did, because you've been secretly practising using the Aunts' book before you arrived here, you will garner instant respect. :)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ella trato uno.....

Btw: On Sunday, my g/f made a "Flan" following the book's intructions and it came out YUMMMMYLICIOUS.

I will, later today, make me some "chulitos".

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
OMG..I was just talking to someone the other day about a craving I had for some Flan...(and not just any Flan, but some Dominican made Flan)
This book is on my xmas wish list....if I don't get it...(after being very dissapointed in Santa) I will def. get it for myself...

Is there a recepit for Churros?
(And sorry...but what are chulitos?)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I made the squash soup that's on the website, i'm sure its in the book.
I made it for Thanksgiving dinner and it was a huge hit.
Crema de Ayuma, very easy to make didn't use as much carnation evaporated milk as it suggested but it was delicious.

Hey Miguel can I come over and I'll LET u cook something for me????? wahahahah

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Pues mira que........

Hey Miguel can I come over and I'll LET u cook something for me????? wahahahah
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!. Wahahahahahaha!.

But this I can do.....Make one in your name and eat it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Crema de Auyama "Aunt Clara's favourite" is definitely in the book. I make it without milk and it's still delicious. As for crema de cepa de apio...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Para chuparse los dedos.....

Btw: On Sunday, my g/f made a "Flan" following the book's intructions and it came out YUMMMMYLICIOUS.

I will, later today, make me some "chulitos".
Just finished eating the first chulito (out of 8) and it was GREEEEAT!.

I will name the next one "MAR'sHead"...Wahahahahaha!!.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

Glad you liked the flan, Miguel. That was my recipe originally.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
The only think I was disappointed in was it was soft cover... some how I missed that it wasn't hardcover ....... :(

I liked my books, especially cookbooks in HB.

My only gripe!
Other than that..... no complaints from the peanut gallery

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Congratulations girls!!! Way to go! They won the @ de Oro for best website in the Art category!

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
Sking .. now you'll know some great recipes.. before you move to DR. I am going to buy myself the cookbook for Xmas and I may also buy a copy as a gift to give to my cousin whom is married to a Dominican and misses his hometown cooking.

Enjoy!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Just finished eating the first chulito (out of 8) and it was GREEEEAT!.

I will name the next one "MAR'sHead"...Wahahahahaha!!.

You are such a tease, wow!!!

So were they easy to make? How many did you eat, you hog?!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que importa....

The only think I was disappointed in was it was soft cover... some how I missed that it wasn't hardcover ....... :(

I liked my books, especially cookbooks in HB.

My only gripe!
Other than that..... no complaints from the peanut gallery
Come on, who cares....Don't judge a book by it's cover (or should I say "soft cover"), wahahahahahahaha!!.

I, for one, if the book was going to have the same pictures and intructions, they could have put it on "toilet paper cover" for all I care.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si, si, si....

You are such a tease, wow!!!

So were they easy to make? How many did you eat, you hog?!!
And a tease I am....Ay si supieras...Wahahahahaha!

They were VEEEEEERY easy to make.

I made 8....Ate 5 and gave 3 to my neighbor from across the street....Not Dominican but she loved them (at least that's what she said).

Btw: Yes I did, La Profe..Thanks.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I just received my book today! The family is going to be getting a Dominican style brunch soon;)
I really like the all the info and background in this book, I could use some education in these areas:cheeky: