Automation and AI replacing jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My hometown in the northeastern U.S. has had clean drinkable municipal water supplied 24/7 for over 100 years,a good portion of the DR doesn't even have municipal water and the areas that do it sure isn't 24/7 nor drinkable so I doubt we'll see self driving cars here in any numbers any time soon.

Maybe there is a lot more money to be made from self driving vehicles then providing clean drinking water. The governments will have to approve it but the government won't be involved in creating or improving the technology. Once it is worth it finically would it be that hard to get the Government to agree.

Drinking water compared to self driving cars? I have no idea why anyone would bring the two topics up in the same paragraph. There is virtually zero relationship between them and any comparison makes no sense.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Back to the AI discussion. If you do some searching you will see why AI concerns so many people. Those people realize that the jobs replaced by AI and Robotics will NOT have significant new jobs created for those who are replaced by Robots and AI. A large number of people will be unemployable soon.

That is why there is serious discussion about a basic income to provide a way for people to live who can no longer find jobs.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I am an old guy... I remember when they told us that introducing computers to the office system would reduce labor hours... not true ; if anything it has increased... but so has sales volumes and marketing opportunities due to innovation andthe global Internet Marketplace.

But here is one to ''chew over''.... already huge Container Ships will soon be operated by AI and crewless.
This will happen long before autonomous cars are the norm.

Russell

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I agree that in the future cars with human drivers will have to pay a lot more for insurance.

If Tesla can sell a lot?

The Tesla Model 3 has quickly conquered the luxury car segment. In its full first year on the market, the new EV sold an estimated 138,000 units in the US, beating out the Lexus RX, which sold 111,641 units, and sailing past the BMW 3 and 4 series, which sold 75,957 vehicles.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-sales-2019-estimation-guidance/

Selling has not been the problem. Production has been the issue, but is now ramping up.

When I say sell a lot of Tesla I do mean having the capability to produce all the Tesla’s that people order. I am a fan of Telsa so I hope they succeed and produce and sell a lot of cars. The Demand should be strong with the price getting lower and the features getting better.

I read one article saying that maybe Tesla would be at 1 million units a year in 2022. They have a lot going on with the Semi, Roadster, Truck and Model Y suppose to be coming out.

Like I said I would like to see Tesla succeed and improve the technology.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am an old guy... I remember when they told us that introducing computers to the office system would reduce labor hours... not true ; if anything it has increased... but so has sales volumes and marketing opportunities due to innovation andthe global Internet Marketplace.

But here is one to ''chew over''.... already huge Container Ships will soon be operated by AI and crewless.

Russell

I am an old guy as well. This revolution is very different. There will be no glut of new jobs for low to medium and even some currently very highly skilled people like Radiologists and quite a few types of Lawyers. Just do some research on this and see why there is all this talk of a basic income for those soon to have no chance of jobs. The list of people about to be replaced by technology is enormous:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001799.htm

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015

Russell

Read an article about that recently. Makes sense, still a redundant back up system AKA human crew.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
AI/ Automated jobs require electricity. Besides,
it would lessen the opportunity to steal. Never
gonna happen. Not worth talking about.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I am an old guy as well. This revolution is very different. There will be no glut of new jobs for low to medium and even some currently very highly skilled people like Radiologists and quite a few types of Lawyers. Just do some research on this and see why there is all this talk of a basic income for those soon to have no chance of jobs. The list of people about to be replaced by technology is enormous:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001799.htm

That list is way too extensive. As an example Travel agents. The more mom and pop agents have gone away, and the emergence of large tour operators happened, like Sunwing Group which has a fleet of airliners and owns real estate. Apple Vacations AMR Group, they started as a travel agency and that morphed into owning resorts, buying other travel agencies like CheapCaribbean.com. These also book people at other resorts and various charter airliners and the regular airliners.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry, this thread is not DR related so I’m closing it. I’ll copy it over to Off Topic for those of you with 500+ posts to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.