avarage income

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Living cost is also higher in SD. Take rent, for example.

rent is not more expensive in SD than it is in the tourist towns.. AND there is real enforcable rent control here.. so once you have lived through your lease, your rent is fixed and cannot be raised,, and you cannot be evicted unless the owner wants to move back into the apartment.

And perhaps the living costs are higher also because there are places to go and things to buy,..

it would be much cheaper for me to live in Matas de Farfan, for instance, a town that I quite adore.. but could I actually live buying my food out of the colmado? Never eating anyplace except the pica pollo or comedor? never having a conversation in English with a college grad?

no.. could not.

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
based on my observation here in POP 10k pesos a month (about 3.2k dollars a year) is already considered good for moderately qualified person.
while physical jobs would normally pay about 6k pesos a month (2k dollars a year), a typical behind the desk position would bring 15k pesos a month (4.8k dollars a year).

= what in US $'s

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What I can assure you is that 3,000. Dollars in my mom's hand are worthier than 50,000. in an American woman's hand.
We know how to handle with misery as we grew up that way. And let me tell you that my family is not the kind of common family you'll find in the very poor neighborhoods.
But compared with American life quality we are poor.
JJ

hey, i said nothing about money management. 10k pesos in the hands of our worker last whole month and i am sure they do dot starve.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
hey, i said nothing about money management. 10k pesos in the hands of our worker last whole month and i am sure they do dot starve.
I know you didn't. I quote your post cause you was referring about how things really works in DR.:cheeky:

Take it easy!!!

JJ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ain't that the truth! dominicans do well on whatever salaries they make. some may have enough for salami, others for an airplane :) but normally the poor manage their money well enough to survive on it. a trait i am now forgetting :(
there was a time when i was in london and after paying for the school and a room i had 20 pounds a week left. i somehow lived through that but i swear i would stop on the street to pick up a penny from the gutter.